Stock declid vents idea by HausFiero
Started on: 06-04-2010 11:24 PM
Replies: 17
Last post by: HausFiero on 06-08-2010 08:13 PM
HausFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2010 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroDirect Link to This Post
I'd been thinking about this for a little while. My idea was to somehow paint the stock decklid vents on my 86 gt. Anyone know if it would work? If i'd have to sand it down, whatever, etc.

Also was thinking the same for the door handles and the line that goes thru the side of the car. I think it would make it look sleeker and more modern to paint those few pieces.

Input please
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2010 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Direct Link to This Post
they would be easy to paint, if u have acess to a sandblaster u will have short work of it or scuffin them up with alittle 320 grit paper will work just fine too and a red scotch brite to get into those hard to get spots.
HausFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2010 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroDirect Link to This Post
Ok thanks, so I could get the job done by hand sanding it with 320 grit sandpaper? Then it will be ready to paint?

Does that go for the vents, lines, and door handles?
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2010 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Direct Link to This Post
yup scuff it and shoot easy as pie! just make shure to clean it well with alittle acetone
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2010 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
I would paint the vents with a high heat paint because the regular cans of Rustoleum only have a 200° rating. Use at least a 500° for the underneath side. I did and it looks good with no problems
Fierosmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2010 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosmithSend a Private Message to FierosmithDirect Link to This Post
If you are repainting the deck grills black....
I've read that some use the black paint for BBQ grills.
A satin or semi-gloss also looks nice, IMO.

In any case though, prep is everything!

J
Rush619

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2010 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rush619Click Here to visit Rush619's HomePageSend a Private Message to Rush619Direct Link to This Post
I had mine powdercoated in a satin black. I was considering a gloss, but I thought it would be too much for my taste. The satin had a great look to it and was very easy to keep clean and never once had an issue with the heat.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2010 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
If you can afford to have them powder coated do it as i think they were powder coated and not painted. I will certainly look better.
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2010 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post
I took a set apart, painted the inside/underside piece with flat black high temp. Then I painted the top portion with a metallic black. I had a 50% success rate. One side is still fine, the other for some reason got a lot of little bubbles and they chipped off. So it is sort of spotted, showing the primery below where the dots chipped. (Sorry, no pics handy). Might have been the heat, or prep, or just some bad paint.
Rolling Thunder

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2010 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post
If you want to remove the underside grill piece (for better airflow) and don't care about keeping out leaves, just drill out the rivets. I replaced mine with a hexagonal screen and it looks pretty cool.
HausFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2010 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by unboundmo:

I would paint the vents with a high heat paint because the regular cans of Rustoleum only have a 200° rating. Use at least a 500° for the underneath side. I did and it looks good with no problems

Could u post pics?
PFF
System Bot
HausFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2010 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroDirect Link to This Post

HausFiero

353 posts
Member since Jun 2010

Originally posted by Fierosmith:

If you are repainting the deck grills black....
I've read that some use the black paint for BBQ grills.
A satin or semi-gloss also looks nice, IMO.

In any case though, prep is everything!

J

I was thinking painting it the same color as the car actually
Blueiii

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2010 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlueiiiSend a Private Message to BlueiiiDirect Link to This Post
I have seen a few cars with the grills and trim painted to match the car. IMO, it ends up being too much of one color. I would just keep them black.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post06-07-2010 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fformula88:

I took a set apart, painted the inside/underside piece with flat black high temp. Then I painted the top portion with a metallic black. I had a 50% success rate. One side is still fine, the other for some reason got a lot of little bubbles and they chipped off. So it is sort of spotted, showing the primery below where the dots chipped. (Sorry, no pics handy). Might have been the heat, or prep, or just some bad paint.

My drivers side in both cars are like that, so id suspect heat.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post06-07-2010 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by Blueiii:

I have seen a few cars with the grills and trim painted to match the car. IMO, it ends up being too much of one color. I would just keep them black.

I also like the contrast with the 2 tone scheme. But that's just me and my car
HausFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2010 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroDirect Link to This Post
Yeah as far as the 2 tone vs 1 color goes I think it's a matte of opinion. I think having it be one color will make it look more modern. Has to have the right body work for it to look better as 1 color tho. Like i said a more modern look
HausFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2010 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroDirect Link to This Post

HausFiero

353 posts
Member since Jun 2010
If anyone has pics of ur decklid vents painted please do post pics
HausFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2010 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroDirect Link to This Post
Btw I found a pic of a fiero with painted trim line, door handles, and VENTS! it looks goooood

found it on google and lost link, and I don't think I could post cuz it's just in my photos (on my iPod)

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock