Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Notchback LED taillamps...how much would you spend?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Notchback LED taillamps...how much would you spend? by lildevil
Started on: 06-03-2010 07:18 PM
Replies: 26
Last post by: Synthesis on 07-01-2010 10:05 PM
lildevil

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
I may have found a source for custom made LED tailites for notch back Fieros. How much would you spend on a set and how many would be interested?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
zigaroo

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zigarooSend a Private Message to zigarooDirect Link to This Post
~$200-$300 or so. Would obviously have to see what it'd look like though. :P
HI-TECH

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 123
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HI-TECHClick Here to visit HI-TECH's HomePageSend a Private Message to HI-TECHDirect Link to This Post
if its a kit maybe around 50 - 70 bucks.. as a set already made 200-300 range.. ide prefer the kit myself.
lildevil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
Heres a set of Camaro tailights that they sell...

If i can get a definite 10 sets , they'll be around 300 bucks a set. They are working on a set for me so I can have something to show you. They can do front turn signals too. But I haven't heard if they can do Fieros yet. They make kits that you install in your existing tailites.

[This message has been edited by lildevil (edited 06-03-2010).]

skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
Whoops...

[edit: looks like you got it.]

[This message has been edited by skuzzbomer (edited 06-03-2010).]

fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
Up to $100 for a kit, up to $250 for a complete swap in tail light set with no modifications or wiring to be done by me.
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
I might go 200 for a set.
lildevil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2010 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
Its a go...they are making me a set and should be done in 3 weeks. Price should be around 300 dollars as long as theres 10 or more sold.
DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2010 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
I drew up some in CAD (got bored) for the notchie. Totaled up just the bulk LED's to just over $200 for them. That's not counting the boards and the time to etch the boards, solder the LEDs in place etc.

So for $300 a set of panels. It's a steal!

[This message has been edited by DIY_Stu (edited 06-04-2010).]

lildevil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2010 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
bump
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2010 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
Could you look into doing them in red all the way across without any reverse lights?
PFF
System Bot
Nebiros88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2010 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nebiros88Click Here to visit Nebiros88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Nebiros88Direct Link to This Post
Interested pending appearance/function of prototype
lildevil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2010 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
The tail lights will be all red and will have the option for sequantial or regular operation. You can switch back and forth if your tastes change. The reverse lights will use these bulbs ( included in price)....
http://www.spaghettienginee...tem.asp?idProduct=63

If you want more custom you'll have to contact them. But wait till after the prototype is done.
zigaroo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zigarooSend a Private Message to zigarooDirect Link to This Post
Has the prototype been completed?
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DIY_Stu:

I drew up some in CAD (got bored) for the notchie. Totaled up just the bulk LED's to just over $200 for them. That's not counting the boards and the time to etch the boards, solder the LEDs in place etc.

So for $300 a set of panels. It's a steal!

Stu, I love it when you get bored.
woodrow50

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodrow50Send a Private Message to woodrow50Direct Link to This Post
What's the verdict on the prototype set? I'd like to see them before committing $300. But then again, about the only way I wouldn't want them would be if they really looked like crap. Count me in.
Please post pics when you have them and a PM for payment instructions would be good.
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
Earl, as I already told you, I'm in! You know they could incorporate that extra inner marker for a brake light..so there's three brake lights instead of two. Just a thought. -Jason
lildevil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
They said three weeks and its been about that since they last contacted me about the prototype. I'll send them another email tonite
IwannaIRM

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMDirect Link to This Post
Are these going to be plug-n-play or will some wiring work be required? I'm also guessing this does not include the tailight housing itself, it's just for the internals.

Anxious to see the prototype.
IwannaIRM

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2010 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMDirect Link to This Post
bump for updates
lildevil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2010 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
ok they responded today. They installed the LEDS but weren't happy with the way they looked. They said that in order to make look good they want to grind the dividers between each section to make one continous light...no dark areas. They asked me if it was ok and I said yea no problem but they are worried how it would effect you guys. Is this a turn off? Its only about one inch.

And these will be plug and play. Jus take your assemblies apart and install their LED boards.

[This message has been edited by lildevil (edited 07-01-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2010 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lildevil:

ok they responded today. They installed the LEDS but weren't happy with the way they looked. They said that in order to make look good they want to grind the dividers between each section to make one continous light...no dark areas. They asked me if it was ok and I said yea no problem but they are worried how it would effect you guys. Is this a turn off? Its only about one inch.

And these will be plug and play. Jus take your assemblies apart and install their LED boards.

This is exactly what I did when I put in my full arrays. I wanted the smooth and seamless look and had to cut those dividers in order to get the appearance I wanted.

I epoxied in a sheet of 1/4" Lexan, and fixed my LEDs to this. With removing those notches, you will end up with a housing that will not be weather tight.

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 07-01-2010).]

lildevil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2010 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
couldn't we epoxy or urethane the backside to waterproof it?
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2010 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

couldn't we epoxy or urethane the backside to waterproof it?

Yes, you can... But many people will just trim and call it good...

You would need to fill the gap with something, and epoxy it. You could even just throw some thick masking tape over the hole, and then epoxy the backside. Then peel the tape off once it cures, and you are weather tight again.
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2010 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post

they are worried how it would effect you guys. Is this a turn off? Its only about one inch.

Hack away. I don't care if they require some some rewiring even. Most concerned about how they look and work.
zigaroo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2010 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zigarooSend a Private Message to zigarooDirect Link to This Post
Hmm... any chance on getting a pic of what it'd look like without grinding the dividers?
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2010 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zigaroo:

Hmm... any chance on getting a pic of what it'd look like without grinding the dividers?

LEDs provide directional light. Unlike a filament bulb, which broadcasts light in 360 degrees on all planes, LEDs shine from a flat plane and only provide light from a narrow viewing angle.

Some LEDs advertise a 170 degree viewing angle. The problem with this is that the outer edges of the angle can be anywhere from 1% of the light output to 40%, with the main output of the light being within an arc of less than 45 degrees.

So, with the reflectors untouched, you end up with three semi-circle lights, with the tops flattened, and dark triangles in between the lights at the top and bottom of the housing.

With the notches removed, and LEDs filling that gap, you can get a solid, even light pattern, such as what I have on mine.

The view that they are displeased with is most likely what I described above. I was not happy with that style appearance either.. Thus, my tails are solid panels, with the notches cut all the way across, as below:

Originally posted by Synthesis:

My LED panels on my Notchie have 576 LEDs per side.... 18 individual segments that can be triggered independently per side for a total of 36. And mine do not have visible "hot spots"...

One set of panels, lit up on the lowest setting my PWM would go...

The driver's side insert, on park light brightness..

Park lights from a distance

Park Lights

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock