Started on: 06-02-2010 05:24 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Spaxspore on 06-03-2010 11:21 AM
LT188GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
He likes the car, but the piece isn't too 'flattering'. Guess it MIGHT be 'realistic' (and I'm just biased) . I actually LIKE the interior.(especially the red/orange glow at night). Also love the exterior styling... Never drove an 84, a manual, or a 4 banger.

Will be interested in reading his upcoming pieces, thanks for sharing the link!

Spaxspore

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpaxsporeSend a Private Message to SpaxsporeDirect Link to This Post
"Okay, so the Fiero launched to a pathetic start in 1984 with a tired four banger and underpinnings borrowed from the Chevette"

sounds like he forgot that the fiero was conceived to be just a good looking economy car. Not a "sports " car.

[This message has been edited by Spaxspore (edited 06-02-2010).]

Rolling Thunder

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post
"Okay, so the Fiero launched to a pathetic start in 1984 with a tired four banger and underpinnings borrowed from the Chevette. Here’s the thing though"
137k 1984 Fieros sold isn't what I'd call pathetic.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post06-02-2010 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spaxspore:
sounds like he forgot that the fiero was conceived to be just a good looking economy car. Not a "sports " car.

You got it backwards. It was conceived to be a sports car, but the only way to get it on the road and past the execs, was to trim it down to be a small commuter. And throughout the later years, they started adding sportier features. GT model, V6, and finally in 88, the new suspension.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post06-02-2010 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by Rolling Thunder:
137k 1984 Fieros sold isn't what I'd call pathetic.

I think he's referring to the poor engine and suspension choices, and the resulting engine fire issues. 1984 sold a lot of Fieros, but from that point on, it was a decline up until GM just killed the project, at the point when it could have been saved.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
I think you're going to be seeing more and more of these kinds of articles soon.

A few weeks ago I was at a car show with my 87' GT and one of the show judges was a "special guest judge" who works as a consignment sales manager for a little company out in Prescott, Arizona with the initials "B. J."
He was here in the Tampa area, as he has a 2nd home in Naples, FL and is friends with a couple of the local central Florida car show promoters.
We had a very nice discussion about my Fiero, and he was one the very few people I've met other than Fiero owners that had a very in depth knowledge about the car.
During our chat he asked me if I had any other Fieros besides the 87 and I said yes, I just bought an 88 Formula that we're about to start restoration work on.
He said: "Hang onto any 88's and any good 87's you can get, you're going to be very happy you did in a few years."

Take that for what it's worth, but considering the source, I'm inclined to listen to his advice.
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 04:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
The car that they show in the picture is actually my cAr stock! But I have t tops .... It's good to know that my feelings were correct. Same with my dad when he bought it. I just lucked out getting it when he left it for me. Thanks dad for a truely Fun and never forgetful ride. I'm going to keep it for a loooonnnggg time
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

I think you're going to be seeing more and more of these kinds of articles soon.

A few weeks ago I was at a car show with my 87' GT and one of the show judges was a "special guest judge" who works as a consignment sales manager for a little company out in Prescott, Arizona with the initials "B. J."
He was here in the Tampa area, as he has a 2nd home in Naples, FL and is friends with a couple of the local central Florida car show promoters.
We had a very nice discussion about my Fiero, and he was one the very few people I've met other than Fiero owners that had a very in depth knowledge about the car.
During our chat he asked me if I had any other Fieros besides the 87 and I said yes, I just bought an 88 Formula that we're about to start restoration work on.
He said: "Hang onto any 88's and any good 87's you can get, you're going to be very happy you did in a few years."

Take that for what it's worth, but considering the source, I'm inclined to listen to his advice.

That really angers me. '88s belong on the track, destroying MR2s, not in dusty warehouses owned by rich guys who love money more than driving thrills. Barrett Jackson need to stick to exotics and Fords and Mopars, NOT Fieros and '69 Camaros. What's next, the FD-chassis RX7s?
Who do these investors / collectors think they're going to impress by claiming they have a fastback Fiero GT? Everyone with fond memories of these cars whgen they were new either still has theirs, or has already obtained another one.

[This message has been edited by Isolde (edited 06-03-2010).]

fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackDirect Link to This Post
I could care less how much they might be worth in the future, I don't plan on selling mine.

...course, I suppose it may make it harder to buy more. Buuuuuuut, I also said I would stop buying cigarettes when the price went up to $5 a pack, I'm still buying those. An addiction is an addiction I guess.

[This message has been edited by fastblack (edited 06-03-2010).]

Spaxspore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpaxsporeSend a Private Message to SpaxsporeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

You got it backwards. It was conceived to be a sports car, but the only way to get it on the road and past the execs, was to trim it down to be a small commuter. And throughout the later years, they started adding sportier features. GT model, V6, and finally in 88, the new suspension.

Nope, it was originally conceived as a "sporty" economy car. To convince GM to build it they had to use all existing parts out of other current car models. Then due to its early popularity and the lowering of fuel prices a more sporty version came out IE 85 GT and so on. I dont consider any of them true sports cars except perhaps the 88 formula.

source-
^ Witzenburg, Gary (1990). Fiero: Pontiacs Potent Mid-Engine Sports Car. Osceola, WI: Motorbooks International Publishers.

"Already selling the Corvette, General Motors management and accountants were opposed to investing in a second two-seater sports car. But in 1979, during the oil crisis, management saw a market opportunity for a fuel-efficient sporty commuter car and design work on the Fiero commenced. To this end, it was fitted with a fuel efficient version of GM's 2.5L 4-cylinder "Iron Duke" engine capable of 27 mpg-US (8.7 L/100 km; 32 mpg-imp) in the city and 40 mpg-US (5.9 L/100 km; 48 mpg-imp) on the highway with the economy-ratio transmission option."

"By 1985, the oil crisis was a thing of the past and demand developed for a Fiero having more engine power and better sports car performance. Pontiac responded by introducing the GT model which included upgraded suspension tuning, wider tires, and a V6 engine having 43 horsepower (32 kW) more than the base 4-cylinder. In 1986, the GT model was restyled to look even more sleek."

[This message has been edited by Spaxspore (edited 06-03-2010).]

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock