Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Is this compressor big enough to paint a car?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Is this compressor big enough to paint a car? by hinesb1890
Started on: 06-02-2010 02:41 PM
Replies: 25
Last post by: hinesb1890 on 06-06-2010 04:50 PM
hinesb1890

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hinesb1890Click Here to visit hinesb1890's HomePageSend a Private Message to hinesb1890Direct Link to This Post
I read Delorean00's thread on how to paint your fiero and he said you need a min. of 30 gallons. I found this one which is 24 gallons and seems to be a good deal. I'm just wondering if I could get by with it. http://providence.craigslis.../pts/1767738233.html

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
You'll probably spend more time waiting for it to cycle on to refill than you will spraying... At least, on the larger panels - hood, decklid, roof (if its a hardtop).

Just make sure you have enough pressure to finish up the largest panels and you should be good.
hinesb1890

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hinesb1890Click Here to visit hinesb1890's HomePageSend a Private Message to hinesb1890Direct Link to This Post
I am considering a complete panel off job, do you think this would help? The largest would probably be my hood
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
i did an entire car with a 20 gallon tank, you'll be fine if you do a panel off job, do a panel at a time etc. or two panels. otherwise no. you'll end up spraing about half the car at a time which leads to problems with the clear especially.
hinesb1890

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hinesb1890Click Here to visit hinesb1890's HomePageSend a Private Message to hinesb1890Direct Link to This Post
thanks im going to see if its still available!
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
The only number that means anything is CFM. If its not rated 12CFM or more @ 90 lbs , you wont do a good job. Even that is dependant on whether your using a siphon feed, gravity feed or HVLP gun.
hinesb1890

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hinesb1890Click Here to visit hinesb1890's HomePageSend a Private Message to hinesb1890Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

The only number that means anything is CFM. If its not rated 12CFM or more @ 90 lbs , you wont do a good job. Even that is dependant on whether your using a siphon feed, gravity feed or HVLP gun.

Ok this is all stuff I need to know since I'm new to this!
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hinesb1890:

Ok this is all stuff I need to know since I'm new to this!

Then you're talking to the right person (Roger)...
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

Then you're talking to the right person (Roger)...

Yes, even though Roger (rogergarrison) and Paul (Tha Driver) fight like little girls all the time, both will give you great body work advice, as both are professional body men.
hinesb1890

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hinesb1890Click Here to visit hinesb1890's HomePageSend a Private Message to hinesb1890Direct Link to This Post
So lets say I'm using a harbor freight HVLP gun, they have these three options:

http://www.harborfreight.co...spray-gun-47016.html
http://www.harborfreight.co...spray-gun-66222.html
http://www.harborfreight.co...y-gun-kit-94572.html

Is only the last one suitable for painting a car? The first one seems to have to lowest requirements for air flow. I am operating under the assumption that the compressor I'm looking at is similar to this one.. http://scranton.craigslist.org/tls/1752162186.html though not exact. With those specs though only the first gun would work.
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
I would check on those first two guns.
The first says for use with most oil based paints and the second says water based paints.
The third looks ok but my Devilbiss HVLP takes only about 20psi at 12-15 cfm compared to this gun requiring more psi.
Maybe one of the paint experts can shed a light on this.

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 06-02-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
vinny

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vinnySend a Private Message to vinnyDirect Link to This Post
You can buy LVLP sprayguns for smaller compressors. Look hear: http://www.spraygunworld.com/

Also, Become a member. http://www.autobody101.com/forums/index.php

You can do it!

Vinny
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
To be honest with you, I have bought not one but two different HVLP spray setups one from HF and I have never been able to get a good finish from either of them despite a lot of trying. I have however bought the conventional professional model cup gun from HF and it works awesome.... I think it is a copy of a binks cup gun. THis is the gun with the cup underneath the nozzle. I know all the cool guys use the vertical cup guns and I have a nice couple of them myself but if you want a cheap gun that just plain works it is my opinion that the undercup professional one they sell is the best one. I have sprayed lacquer, enamel, conversion varnish, even some diluted contact adhesive with it and it always pleases, in fact it is my go to gun for most projects now despite having spent a helluva lot more on my other name brand guns.... I will probably buy another one when I get back down there. I just got finished painting my wing in a test of the rustoleum red to see how it holds up and how it sprays and it came out real nice... just a thought and good luck.... peace

Pete

hinesb1890

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hinesb1890Click Here to visit hinesb1890's HomePageSend a Private Message to hinesb1890Direct Link to This Post
thanks everyone for jumping in, pete do you have a link to the gun you're talking about?
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 06:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
If you buy it it will be fine for painting your thinking ahead and you will definatly want to be able to use a palm sander and that will do the job. Anything bottom of line will paint a car even 2hp and 4 gallon it will paint but that won't keep a hand sander running. Buy a 4-5 hp with a 4 gallon tank min to run air tools. Google air compressor buying guide http://www.toolbarn.com/air-compressor-guide.html
for better information but what your looking at is more than fine to squirt paint it is an overkill but as an all round do everything that is your toy.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I really only emphatically disagree with him on a few things. Most of what he (Driver) says, im usually in agreement with.
starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I really only emphatically disagree with him on a few things. Most of what he (Driver) says, im usually in agreement with.

I had to laugh at the original post about you and Tha Driver but I read nearly every word you and he write about paint because I know I am getting a million bucks worth of free advice unless you two send me a bill. When I paint my Fiero, I will post pictures if it is good and you'll never see it if it is bad.

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post
I think Roger and Paul should each paint a set of panels for my car, in my 2 favorite colors, and I'll decide who does a better job. I'm offering my judging services to the forum, because I'm so selfless, and I think we really need an unbiased opinion..

In all seriousness, thanks to you both for the advice, I'm gonna be ready to paint in a few months, and it all comes in handy!

------------------
----------------------------------------------------
Currently in the middle of my 88 + 3800NA swap

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
. Our biggest differences is he likes to say this or that is the only way to do something. I just state what I normally do, what works for me and just give an opinion and you can chose it or not. With body and painting (and even sex) there are many ways to accomplish the same result.
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
This is the paint gun I am talking about. Does not look like much but it just plain works, is easy to clean and I have had a lot of good success with it on both cabinets and automotive jobs. It is also very cheap!!! They have another one that has a black handle that is not the same gun and from what I have seen is a piece of junk.... Your mileage may vary...here is a link...

http://www.harborfreight.co...spray-gun-91011.html
hinesb1890

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hinesb1890Click Here to visit hinesb1890's HomePageSend a Private Message to hinesb1890Direct Link to This Post
So the guy never got back to me about the compressor, I'm still looking to do this on a budget though so what do you think of this set up:

I have a coupon to get this for 140, and can get it cheaper if they allow an extra 20% off:
http://www.harborfreight.co...ompressor-94667.html

And I found this LVLP gun set on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Ampro...-Piece/dp/B0019MSJ06
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
4.9 cfm @ 90 pnds.......................you will spend way more time waiting for it to catch up than actually painting. All that stopping will not let you do a nice, even glossy finish. Your prob going to find you need at least 5 hp/ 220 volt to get the cfms up to minimum 12. This one might get you by for priming it.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 06-03-2010).]

hinesb1890

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hinesb1890Click Here to visit hinesb1890's HomePageSend a Private Message to hinesb1890Direct Link to This Post
So yes im assuming? I actually just got an email back from the craigslist guy, going to check it out this weekend... anything I should look for?
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hinesb1890:

I have a coupon to get this for 140, and can get it cheaper if they allow an extra 20% off:
http://www.harborfreight.co...ompressor-94667.html

Don't get this one. This is the one I have, and it's a constant disappointment. I wait for it A LOT, doing pretty much anything, and it's really really loud. One of these days, I'll get another compressor head and just use it for it's tank.
SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2010 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTDirect Link to This Post
GREAT THREAD..... Added to favorites, because one day one of my projects will be ready for paint...lol maybe...

------------------
SMTHGT.....
Steve
Aka. "SmoothGT"
1987 GT 4.9L~V8~4T60E
(Un.Su.)

hinesb1890

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2010 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hinesb1890Click Here to visit hinesb1890's HomePageSend a Private Message to hinesb1890Direct Link to This Post
Well 60 bucks later I got myself a new (to me) compressor! It was a pretty good deal I think. Its 4HP 24 gallons and rated at 10.8 scfm @ 40 PSI and 8.9 scfm @ 90 PSI. Here's a picture of it all cleaned up, it was pretty dirty when I got it...

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Now to buy the rest!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock