Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Any interest in a turbo exhaust manifold for the 2.5? .... see pic...

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Any interest in a turbo exhaust manifold for the 2.5? .... see pic... by MaxCubes
Started on: 05-31-2010 01:35 AM
Replies: 26
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 08-10-2010 10:54 AM
MaxCubes

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post
I made Two... this one I may sell...

Yes a little rough... But the inside is ported quite smooth for efficient flow... The flange is good for a T3 or T3/T4 turbo. It is designed to hold the turbo high and closer to the intake.

Just wondering if there is any interest before I try to sell it
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Hockaday

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
depends on price, arent they prone to blowing up though? ( the engines with turbos )
2m4dude

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2m4dudeSend a Private Message to 2m4dudeDirect Link to This Post
hey i'd take on i wanna try to get my duke to hold some boost they say it can't last but i think i can make it
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post
if i had more cash id be interested. my duke is likely going to die soon anyways so ill either get betting a new duke or a new 2.8 (cheapest and easiest swaps....im lazy and poor lol). might as well make the most of what i got lol. anyone know what kinda numbers a duke would put out with a turbo?
fieroguy123

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
There are ways of making the bottom end hold boost, but it's very hard to justify the cost when it's cheaper to do a 4.9, 3.8sc, or 3.4pr. And I don't think you would even make the h.p that a stock 3.8na makes. Betting the most you could get out of it without serious head, intake, and exhaust work is about 175. But hey, anything can be done if you have enough desire and money.
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
if i could bolt it on and be set to make another 40ish hp that'd be great but the dukes seem to be pretty weak.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Turbo on a duke is bad idea IMO, The car was originaly designed to save gas, not go fast.
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post
I spent many hours making this manifold... My goal was to make it functional and strong instead of pretty. It bolts perfectly to the head and the ports are matched with the ports on the head. Unlike other turbos I've seen installed on 2.5's in fieros... this manifold holds the turbo up high and away from the starter and the turbo will be very visible when you open the deck lid and show it off.

Would say $100 be a reasonable price? ... I may put it on ebay.
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
Keep the boost down, don't beat the crap out of it, and maintenance it as required... probably won't blow up.

Remember: low boost pressures.
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2010 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post
How much boost does a T3 or T3/T4 put out?

I know nothing about turbos.....

[This message has been edited by 86fierofun (edited 06-01-2010).]

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2010 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post
Most turbos can make very high boost.... Its what the waste gate is set to that controls the psi

I wouldn't go any higher than 8 psi with the duke... And I would go with a turbo that would give good boost below the dukes redline limit

PFF
System Bot
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2010 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86fierofun:

How much boost does a T3 or T3/T4 put out?

I know nothing about turbos.....

My T04e Hybrids will make 350 hp each.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2010 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

My T04e Hybrids will make 350 hp each.

I think he ment PSI.

Persoanly if you guys are going to turbo your dukes. as said make them very low PSI. The duke internals wernt built for pressure. As i stated before. the duke was built for the sole purpos of saving gas during the gas crisis. the birth of the fiero originated from the gas price's.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 06-01-2010).]

86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2010 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post
Let me be more specific. What pressure will it put out at 3-4.5 k rpm?
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2010 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post
I would definately use a small turbo... A small turbo will spool faster and make good boost well before the engine hits the redline... a large turbo will force you to go beyond the dukes rev limit.
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2010 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004

A small turbo will easily put out 8psi at 3000 to 4500rpms

fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2010 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
I did an unbelieveable amount of research before building my 2.0 turbo 88 gt, and learned more than I ever wanted to know about turbo's. Here's my advice.... Assuming you have stock internals in reasonably good shape, and you use the t-25 garrett from the turbo sunbird, 80's eclipse/talon, etc (it's small, it'll spool very quickly and is pretty durable/reliable). I would set the wastegate at 4psi and DEFINITELY no more than 5, you should get roughly 35-45 h.p. which would be very noticeable, and if you drive it nicely maybe 50k miles more out of your engine. Now, if you're starting off with a 100k+ duke, and you go and run 5 psi, you might make it down the track 3 or 4 times before the crank let's loose or you break a rod. Absolutely under no circumstances turbo an 84' block, it's weaker than the later year models and it probably won't make it a day. Obviously, this is all my opinion.
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MaxCubes:

A small turbo will easily put out 8psi at 3000 to 4500rpms

Then in the future, I would be interested in playing with one of these. $100 seems reasonable enough.

My car is not running right now, but in the future I would probably be interested.
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post

86fierofun

3650 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Looking at pictures of these things online, are you sure it will fit between the engine and firewall?
carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
Duke + Boost =

Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
I think...no i know this is a very reasonable price but I am not in the position to risk the Oppenheimer Moment. would be very good to the few that want to build up the duke.
PFF
System Bot
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

Looking at pictures of these things online, are you sure it will fit between the engine and firewall?

Yes.... I did several test fits with a turbo. Lets not forget that the exhaust inlet on a turbo is offset and not centered like the inkake inlet. The turbo would be directly above the manifold with the exducer facing toward the Fiero's intake. It all fits. The only problem would be in the 84 fiero.... the AC hoses would definately be hitting the turbo. In the 84 the AC hoses are routed high...
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post
No more interest?
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2010 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post
On sale on ebay right now....

just do a search like "fiero turbo manifold"

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

a 57trim could probably muster about 27-30psi. A stock DSM turbo could probably do 18-20. A random T2 off a saab or something could probably do almost 15.

They could also probably do more, but these are the effective max pressure ratios of the turbos with a small amount of choke point factored in.
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

Duke + Boost =

^ agree totally... Been there, done that. Not smart. At one point in my life (took years to figure out) was able to turbo a stroker and a duke... Again... not smart. neither of them were very reliable and the duke went sky high 3 days after. Was only running 8psi regulated on both. Now the 2.8 on the other hand.... next project.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
The trouble here is that Duke engines are 22-26 yrs old old and as such are poor candidates for turbocharging. Even a new Duke would not be a good choice as to set it up properly would require a new larger throttle body, a complete retune and very low boost levels. So for the $$$$ spent the resuts wouldn't be worth it. I am not sure but that manifold may fit the SD4 with a few mods. That engine will hold boost but it is a costly build..

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock