Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  How To Thread - Install C5 Corvette Seats In Your Fiero In Around 3 Hours

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

How To Thread - Install C5 Corvette Seats In Your Fiero In Around 3 Hours by MadDanceSkillz
Started on: 05-29-2010 05:13 PM
Replies: 37
Last post by: chrismclubm on 08-04-2010 03:50 PM
MadDanceSkillz

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2010 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
A few weeks ago, I remarked to a friend of mine (Fieroguy123) I was going to find some leather bucket seats that fit in a Fiero without extensive modification. Making good on my promise, I set out in search of some seats that would fit well and look good using the Pennock's search button. There were some interesting options like Firebird seats, C3 Corvette seats, and others, but I wanted something that would both sit as low as the stock seats AND be as or more comfortable. The second part was a pretty tall order considering how comfortable Fiero seats are.

A week or so into my off and on search, a forum member posted he had some C5 Corvette seats for sale for only 300 dollars. I hadn't considered C5 seats because they're so damn expensive. They routinely fetch over 700 dollars on Ebay + shipping. I did some checking around and the only Fiero I could find on here that had them was, of course, Madcurl's. But he said they sat up higher and did not lean forwards or backwards because of clearance issues. Nobody else has done it as far as I know and there were unfortunately no write-ups on the topic since Archie did the mods for Madcurl's. Determined to make them work, I bought the Corvette seats.

In short, the install was a great success and they C5 seats are FAR superior to a Fiero seat in both comfort and looks. With power inflatable lumbar support and power side bolsters, you can make these seats fit you like a glove. I get out of them after 2 hours of driving and don't feel like I've been driving a car.

I want to add first that my install procedure does not in any way damage the seats or make it so you can't bolt the Corvette tracks back up and use them again. I could pull mine out right now, mount the Vette stuff back on, and nobody would ever know they had been in a Fiero.

Here is the install section.

Skill Level
I'd say difficulty is moderate. Don't try this if you're a dunce, but you don't have to be a genius to do this.

Length of Swap
Something like 3 hours if you're moving or 5 if you're taking your time. It took me 5 having never done this before and having no guide or write-up (Or help).

Things To Be Aware Of
Cost - These seats can be expensive. If you look around you can probably find them for 300-600. This may seem like a lot, but Mr. Mike's leather covers are 600+ IIRC. I LOVE Mr. Mike's seats. They are absolutely fantastic and are a great product...but you still end up with Fiero seats. The C5 seats are far superior in my opinion.
Power Options - You WILL lose your power backwards and forwards power feature. Since we'll be mounting Fiero rails to the C5 seats, you will move them backwards and forwards just like your Fiero seats, but you can still keep the other power options. Using the Corvette rails like Madcurl did was just not an option for me. I had to be able to lean the seats forwards and backwards, and I did not want to sit up high in the seat. My car is lowered and I like having my butt sit 7 or 8 inches off the ground. I test fitted the Corvette seats with the rails still attached and they just don't fit that well. Also, they make the car feel like a Buick because you're up so much higher than before. If you REALLY want power seat slides I would look somewhere else.

Tools Required

13MM 1/4" Socket - A 3/8's socket may work but we are dealing with small tolerances here so use the smallest wrench and socket you have.
13MM Wrench - If you have a ratcheting wrench, I envy you, because I could have done the install in much less time with one. Being a poor college kid I have to use crappy tools...
Set Of Drill Bits - Most of the bits you need will be larger than 1/4 inch bits, but a good assortment is a plus.
Drill - AC drill preferred as it spins faster, has more power, and does not run out of battery. Makes the process much faster.
Wire Strippers/Crimpers - You don't NEED these. But having a couple strippers in your garage isn't anything to complain about.
Wire - You'll need to run some wire for the power seats. This was easy for me because I had amp wiring to tap into, but you may need to take power from elsewhere.
Beer - Yes, beer. You'll be busting knuckles and having a hard time getting wrenches in place, so being (Slightly) drunk may ease the frustration.
Fan/AC - Hopefully you have some means of cooling yourself, because I didn't, and my garage was around 105 when I did this.

We'll start with the driver's side seat. Obviously, remove your Fiero seats first.

1. Flip the seat onto its back so you can see the rails with the front of the seat up in the air. Remember to protect the seat from whatever you lay it on.

2. There is a specific way you have to dismount the rails. First, untie the tension strings that make the seat cover tight on the foam. They should untie near the back of the seat bottom. After that you should be able to peel the front of the seat cover around where your knees lay up exposing the seat frame. Don't worry, this won't hurt the seats. You should now have access to two 13MM bolts that hold two brakcets on the front of the seat in place. They are black and "L-Shaped". If you look at my picture, they have blue dots on them near the rear of the seat because in that picture the Corvette rails and the front 2 brackets had already been removed. Using a wrench on the nut and a 13MM socket on the bolt, remove these two bolts. NOTE: Some C5 seats have threaded holes here meaning there is just a bolt and no nut. This does nto change anything, simply remove it with a socket.

3. Now for a tricky part. There are two more of those L-Shaped brackets that hold the rear of the Corvette seat rails to the seat. These you should not remove by removing bolts. I removed the bolts first, and later realized those two brackets could help with mounting so reattached them. To dismount them from the Corvette rails without removing the bolts, you have to drill out a rivet holding them in so you end up with ONLY the L-Shaped bracket attached tot he seat frame. The easiest way I found to do this was with a large drill bit that had wings near the tip so they stripped the inner side of the rivet out easily. After you remove the rivet however you want to, the Corvette rails will come off the seat. Remember to carefully disconnect all wiring and air lines first.

4. Now that you're looking at a bare seat bottom with no rails or electrics, you are ready to mount your Fiero seat rails. Remove them from the Fiero seats by removing the 4 13MM bolts on each seat. Now is a great time to clean and lubricate them! In the picture shown, I had the Fiero rails mounted in a way that placed the seat too far to one side. You'll want to drill a hole large enough for a nut and bolt (Can be any nut and bolt. I found that the Fiero bolts work well if you have nuts for them). Drill in place I have placed a red dot in the picture. It should be exactly 1" up from the hole where the bracket bolt used to be, and your bit should be literally touching the edge of the metal rail adjecent to the piece you are drilling through. If you don't understand what that means reading this you will when you are ready to drill. Carefully drill through here, grab the Fiero rail that doesn't have a lever on it, and mount it using this new hole and the existing hole near the front of the Fiero rail. You may have to slide the rail slide backwards to expose the hole.

5. Now we need to mount the other side of the rail that is now partially mounted. This is why we kept those L-Shaped brackets. Rotate the bracket so it is facing directly inward towards the other side of the seat. Slide the rail all the way forward so you can see the mounting portion of the seat rail. It should lay nicely on top of the bracket. Once you have it laid on the bracket and are ready to drill, make sure it is straight. Using the same drill bit as before, or another if you prefer, drill through the Fiero rail and then through the bracket with a single hole. Attach a nut and bolt, and voila, you have mounted one of the Fiero rails to the Corvette seat.

6. Now we have to mount the rail that has the lever attached. To do this, just use the hole near the front of the seat that you removed the L-Bracket bolt from. Move the L-Bracket near the bottom of the seat in such a way that it holds it in place, but do not bolt the bottom end up the rail down. You will need to be able to move it around to mount the seats and once they are bolted down in the car the fact that there is no bolt on the bottom of this rail is a non-issue because the seat is completely solid.

7. Now you need to remount your electrics. There are 2 pieces you need. The first is the box the air lines were going into, and the second is the master control box (Should be obvious which one that is). The two boxes are pictured in this thread as well. They should both fit nicely on the bottom of the seat using the metal wires that hold the foam in place. Don't worry, you won't feel them as long as you mount them on the bottom side of the seats. The master control box has tabs to mount it to these coat hanger like wires. For the air line box, I just used Zip-Ties. Mount those two boxes, reconnect the wiring and air lines for them, and tuck away all the extra plugs other than your power plug, which should have 2 or 3 orange and 2 or 3 black wires going into a 4 or 6 prong plug. In regards to the air lines, you may have one of the two air line plugs with only one line in it. If that is the case, one of the air "Nipples" will be filled in, and this is where the empty part of that connector should go. You'll know what I mean when you see it.

8. You are ready to mount the seat! In the Fiero, one pair of the studs is an inch farther forward, so you will have to initially set up your rails like that. I THINK it was the driver side studs that was further forward on the driver side seat, but I am not sure. Anyway, find which rail needs to be an inch farther forward than the other, move it an inch forward (Should be one "Click" forward) and mount the seats. REMEMBER, leave your power plug hanging out the back of the seat or you'll have to dismount the seat again to find it.

The Fiero seat looks pitiful by comparison...

Notice how they sit as low as the Fiero seats do

9. After you enjoy your new driver's seat for a few minutes and possibly take a drive with it, you'll probably want to hook up the electrics. This can be done a multitude of ways, but here is how I did it. First, I tapped into a power wire for my amp that sits behind the passenger seat. For grounding, I used the seat belt bolts near the back of the seats near the center console. Make sure to use a wire brush on them first to get a good ground. Next, I just chopped off the power plugs on both seats, and twisted the orange and black wires together. You do not need the very large orange wire, as it is the power for the power slides which no longer are attached to the seats. After hooking everything up, your Corvette seats are fully functional.

10. Controls. A number of things can be done with the seat controls. I chose to remove them, extend the wiring, and run them up into the door panels so they are mounted in my doors. This is a matter of taste and not necessarily function, so do it however you want.

Here is the finished product.

Wow.

------------------
86GT Modded 3.4l Pushrod V6 with Trueleo
1972 Honda CB350 Motorcycle

PM Me if you need:
Interior/Exterior Parts
Stock Switches/Bezels
Gauge Clusters
Body Panels
Fiero Rotor Hubs for Brake Swaps
Or custom fabricated parts! My prices are very low.

[This message has been edited by MadDanceSkillz (edited 08-03-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2010 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Not bad but the 4th gen firebird seats would have been easyist. they bolt right onto your stock fiero seat rails no mods required.
jmbishop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2010 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Not bad but the 4th gen firebird seats would have been easyist. they bolt right onto your stock fiero seat rails no mods required.

Nobody cares. The point of this is not to be easy to install, its to have nice seats.
nosaint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2010 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintDirect Link to This Post
Cant wait to see the pic,
I just installed C4's using the Fiero brackets as well

[This message has been edited by nosaint (edited 05-29-2010).]

MadDanceSkillz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2010 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
Sorry PK, I love Firebirds but Corvette seats are far, far better. I think Firebird seats look cool but they aren't even as comfortable as Fiero seats IMO.

BTW, you're going to be at the Tyler Shipman Memorial show in Frazee, right?
fieroguy123

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2010 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
Nice thread David! Very well written.
Misery

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MiserySend a Private Message to MiseryDirect Link to This Post

Great writeup David !

I might need a closer look
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

Nobody cares. The point of this is not to be easy to install, its to have nice seats.

Dude STFU and go die. i was just stating. he had that he was looking into firebird seats and i was just saying there so easy to install even a simpletin such as yourself could do it. F*** you and have a nice day..

Madanceskillz sorry for this little tantrum.. carry on guys.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 05-30-2010).]

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

pontiackid86

19632 posts
Member since Sep 2008

Originally posted by MadDanceSkillz:

Sorry PK, I love Firebirds but Corvette seats are far, far better. I think Firebird seats look cool but they aren't even as comfortable as Fiero seats IMO.

BTW, you're going to be at the Tyler Shipman Memorial show in Frazee, right?

Im going to try and make it. my fiero's wont be attending but my jeep might be depending on if i really feel like driving it there getting 12 MPG on a 1300 mile trip.. i might just be taking greyhound and enjoying the drive. i am looking forward to meeting you and everyone else that was behind the scenes of the tyler project. BTW love the seats. Im going the firebird seat route because 1 there a sinch to install and 2. even though i dont have one anymore im still and F-body boy at heart.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 05-30-2010).]

MadDanceSkillz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
Why don't you take the green one so I'm not the only green guy at the show?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Photobucket on strike?? I don't see any of the pictures.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

PFF
System Bot
MadDanceSkillz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
I can see all of them on my iPhone.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Why don't you take the green one so I'm not the only green guy at the show?

Haha my 4 speed is even worse on gas than my wrangler . i would bring the red one but i dont trust either of them on a 1300 mile trip.
MadDanceSkillz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2010 04:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
Just a bump to remind you all how comfortable my seats are.

in all seriousness, though, does anyone else have or has anyone else seen C5 seats in a Fiero other than Madcurl's?
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post06-01-2010 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Just a bump to remind you all how comfortable my seats are.

in all seriousness, though, does anyone else have or has anyone else seen C5 seats in a Fiero other than Madcurl's?

I haven't. Although, I'm thinking the C6 seats would be a nice fit.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2010 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
Nice (except for the lettering across them)...
MadDanceSkillz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2010 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
I don't mind the lettering. I kind of like it...
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-01-2010 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

But it would be better if it said PONTIAC or FIERO GT or something.
fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2010 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
I told him the same thing. Tried to give him a roll of black duct tape to cover up the "corvette", but for some reason he wouldn't do it. Lol
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2010 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

But it would be better if it said PONTIAC or FIERO GT or something.

I agree... Maybe MR. Mike could make an overlay to cover it...
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-01-2010 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALJR:
I agree... Maybe MR. Mike could make an overlay to cover it...

I would just get them recovered anyway. If you decide early on that you're going to recover, then it makes finding seats easier, since you don't have to worry about what color to buy. Just buy the cheapest ones you can find, and recover them.
PFF
System Bot
MadDanceSkillz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 04:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
Hell no! The leather on these is 9.5/10 at least. It would be dumb to remove them now! Another bonus to C5 seats, though, is the wide array of covers available.
Genopsyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 05:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post
I haven't installed C5 seats, but I did install a pair of racing buckets in my 86 using the fiero seat rails. Width was the same on the new seats, I just drilled new bolt holes in the fiero rails in the appropriate locations. It was a pretty simple process, I used blue marking dye (machinist kind) to locate where the holes would be drilled.

edit: forgot the pic...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Genopsyde (edited 06-02-2010).]

ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Genopsyde:

I haven't installed C5 seats, but I did install a pair of racing buckets in my 86 using the fiero seat rails. Width was the same on the new seats, I just drilled new bolt holes in the fiero rails in the appropriate locations. It was a pretty simple process, I used blue marking dye (machinist kind) to locate where the holes would be drilled.

edit: forgot the pic...

Those look nice, but how comfy are they? They look very stiff, as most racing seats usually are...
ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckDirect Link to This Post
^^ They do look nice. What kind are they?
Genopsyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post
they aren't any more or less comfortable than any other seat I have sat on I suppose. They are an off brand ebay set I got back in 2007
Quad GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2010 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTDirect Link to This Post

Considering that cheesy Vette killed our Fiero ....I would cover it
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2010 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
I Like the C5 seats. My only issue is that you have seats in your Fiero that say Corvette! It gives it a kind of "wannabe" image. Nice write up - in my favorites.

Pat

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 06-06-2010).]

aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2010 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
Dude STFU and go die. i was just stating. he had that he was looking into firebird seats and i was just saying there so easy to install even a simpletin such as yourself could do it. F*** you and have a nice day..

Wow...

MadDanceSkillz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2010 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aeffertz:

Wow...

I'm not sure why this always has to happen in threads. Maybe I'm cursed...
MadDanceSkillz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2010 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post

MadDanceSkillz

2591 posts
Member since Jan 2009

Originally posted by katatak:

I Like the C5 seats. My only issue is that you have seats in your Fiero that say Corvette! It gives it a kind of "wannabe" image. Nice write up - in my favorites.

Pat

My dream car is a 73 Stingray, but I'll never own one. They are just money pits. I agree with the point, though. I might go to an interior shop and see if I can get some Fiero strips made for them. But then again, nothing says "Awesome" in the car world quite like "CORVETTE"...
PFF
System Bot
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post

...... nothing says "Awesome" in the car world quite like "CORVETTE"...

You mean "PANTERA" don't you?

Cordially,
Kevin
tednelson83

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
has anyone else attempted this? pics?
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-26-2010 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tednelson83:

has anyone else attempted this? pics?

If I could find C6 seats for less than my car cost, I might do those.
MadDanceSkillz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2010 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
Bump. Curious if anyone else has tried this too. These seats might be for sale for 500 BTW.

[This message has been edited by MadDanceSkillz (edited 08-03-2010).]

tednelson83

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2010 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
c6 seats would be interesting too. im actualy more partial to the c4 seats, but i like the look of the c5 ones.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2010 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Bump. Curious if anyone else has tried this too.

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

chrismclubm

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2010 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrismclubmSend a Private Message to chrismclubmDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the writeup, looks real nice man...

------------------

For Fiero Articles, Magazines, and Prototype Photos, visit: http://www.gt.ppdictionary.com

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock