Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Im about to throw this exhaust through the wall!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Im about to throw this exhaust through the wall! by 87antuzzi
Started on: 05-28-2010 11:20 PM
Replies: 24
Last post by: jmbishop on 05-31-2010 01:58 AM
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2010 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
4 days!!!! Ive been fighting with this broken bolt for 4 days. Hence no updates on my build thread. Its the bolt that connects the manifold to the y pipe. I figure easy enough, just drill it out and re tap the hole, no problem. This bolt is made of something that is not from this earth! It melted the tips of my titanium drill bits and has managed to ruin every bit in my box. So i went to home depot and bought some cobalt bits for 50 bucks . Put it in the drill press and started to drill. Made it about a 16th on an inch down and the tip of the bit starts glowing. But it made a little hole so i tried to stick a ez out and pull out the broken bolt. I get my hammer and tap tap tap tap SNAP! At this point im pissed. I throw the manifold across the garage and came in the house where I sit now. stupid bolt. I need ideas! I was going to take my cutoff wheel to the welds on the nut itself, I cant find my friggen cut off wheel. Ideas please.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rolling Thunder

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2010 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi: I need ideas! I was going to take my cutoff wheel to the welds on the nut itself, I cant find my friggen cut off wheel. Ideas please.

Go buy another cutoff wheel.

Seriously, you shouldn't let a drill bit get that hot. Make sure it is well oiled. Lubrication will reduce wear and keep temps down.
87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2010 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
I literally just threw the manifold in the woods behind my house. anyone have a 2.8 manifold they want to sell?
Firefox

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2010 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
Take the manifold to a muffler shop. They will get it out. I used to do that when I was young and had no experience........

It got the job done cheaper than buying a new manifold and a heck of a lot quicker too.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2010 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

4 days!!!! Ive been fighting with this broken bolt for 4 days. Hence no updates on my build thread. Its the bolt that connects the manifold to the y pipe. I figure easy enough, just drill it out and re tap the hole, no problem. This bolt is made of something that is not from this earth! It melted the tips of my titanium drill bits and has managed to ruin every bit in my box. So i went to home depot and bought some cobalt bits for 50 bucks . Put it in the drill press and started to drill. Made it about a 16th on an inch down and the tip of the bit starts glowing. But it made a little hole so i tried to stick a ez out and pull out the broken bolt. I get my hammer and tap tap tap tap SNAP! At this point im pissed. I throw the manifold across the garage and came in the house where I sit now. stupid bolt. I need ideas! I was going to take my cutoff wheel to the welds on the nut itself, I cant find my friggen cut off wheel. Ideas please.

Two words:
Lube <-keeps bits cooler
torch <-helps bolts turn
87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2010 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
I found the manifold. Ive used lube to help cool the bit. It still turned the tip red. Im going to cut the tack welds on the nut off and re weld a new nut on.
87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2010 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post

87antuzzi

11151 posts
Member since Feb 2009
here is a pic of the low end bit i was using. Melted it

the bolt itself
Arizona85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2010 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arizona85GTSend a Private Message to Arizona85GTDirect Link to This Post
That bolt was a huge PITA for me too. Like Carbon stated I just used a torch and lots of WD-40 and it finally came off.
chrishahn87

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2010 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Direct Link to This Post
Every time I have removed an exhaust manifold, I found the same bolt broken. There were even a couple manifolds that the "nut" was actually rusted too bad to be reused.
After fighting that nut and bolt (like you currently are) I found that I was able to hammer on the stud, which will break the welds that hold on the nut.

To reinstall, I used stainless steel bolts, nuts, and lock washers. It's a little more of a pita getting a wrench and socket on both ends, but it is a little easier to lineup, and I have never had a problem.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-29-2010 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
Antuzzi.... Cut the nut in half with your cut off wheel, then use a punch to get the rest of the bolt out. Stubborn exaust shat. Good luck man...

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 05-29-2010).]

Rolling Thunder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2010 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post
1. Don't let the bit get that hot. If you have to drill for 5 seconds and let it cool, that's what you need to do.
2. Whenever I have something stuck, I walk into a shop with it and flash a 20 dollar bill to the techs. It hasn't failed me yet.
PFF
System Bot
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2010 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post
eh, why not just cut the flange off and get a new split flange? (find one before you cut off hte old one tho...)
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-29-2010 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post
Exhaust bolts are why I just bought a new cat for my S-10. I had to replace the down/flex pipe (it's a 2.2), and the bolts at the manifold came out fine. The pressed-in studs on the cat, on the other hand, wouldn't budge. I used probably half a can of liquid wrench, and a quarter can of CRC freeze off lube. Broke two of the studs on the front end, and rounded one of the nuts which I had to cut off. Was going to attempt to drill them out, but there is absolutely no room to get a drill in position under the truck. Finally said the hell with it; decided I would just break the studs for the exit side of the cat as well, and just buy a new cat for it.
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2010 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
I have always been able to get them out using a torch to heat them to glowing and then drill them out. if this did not work I did exactly what you are talking about, cutting off the nut and welding a new one back on. they can sure be a PITA!.
good luck with it, it is better to walk away than to get mad. an if all else fails take it to someone and let them do it. the few bucks it would cost you would be money well spent.
D.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2010 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
If i was there with a cut off wheel... it would be out in 2 seconds . damn california manifolds.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2010 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-29-2010 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
ROTFFLMFAO! ^^^^^^ You just ain't right! Tears in my eyes....
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2010 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

here is a pic of the low end bit i was using. Melted it

the bolt itself

What a fight. You should of got some of this http://www.kanolabs.com/google/

Spray it on. Go eat a ham sandwich. Come back and twist it out with 2 fingers. No snake oil either.

Spoon

------------------
Two yeast spent their entire life "about 2 days" discussing what the purpose of life could be and not once did they even come close to the fact that they were making champagne. Quoted by: Unknown

ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2010 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
Heat it up and spray it w/ some PB blaster as it cools. Do this two ro three times.. Be carefull as the PB is flamable... Then heat it up again till its glowing red, grab the broken bolt REAL tight with some vice-grips and twist it out... If your good at welding, weld a bolt to the end of the broken bolt instead of using vice grips...
87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2010 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
HA. VICTORY!
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post
This thread was 3 years in the making?
PFF
System Bot
pop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for popSend a Private Message to popDirect Link to This Post
So WHAT worked??
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
All you had to do was to heat the bolt cherry red and take it out with a stud extractor. If you don't have a stud extractor just weld another nut on the stud end and use a socket.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Rolling Thunder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

All you had to do was to heat the bolt cherry red and take it out with a stud extractor. If you don't have a stud extractor just weld another nut on the stud end and use a socket.

Well... there's a right way, a wrong way, and a Fiero way of doing things.

[This message has been edited by Rolling Thunder (edited 05-30-2010).]

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post
I'm amazed you had so much trouble with that broken off stud. I accidentally broke the tack welds that hold that nut on once. I'm surprised they didn't give out for you.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock