Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  PA fiero owners, how many of you don't have an ebrake?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

PA fiero owners, how many of you don't have an ebrake? by 17Car
Started on: 05-27-2010 09:50 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: Arns85GT on 05-29-2010 10:12 AM
17Car

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 17CarSend a Private Message to 17CarDirect Link to This Post
I was planning to do the grand-am conversion on all 4 corners and use a line lock for when I want to leave the car running and get out for a minute. But I think an ebrake is needed to pass inspection. So how many of you don't have an ebrake?
Thanks!

------------------
* 97 Olds Cutlass DD
* 86 Mustang SVO Rear Ended, R.I.P (Sold)

* 86 Fiero GT, Soon to be Northstar

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RotrexFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
Here in allegheny county you will need a e-brake. I think that is for all of PA also. If its a five speed, a manual transmission, I would think it best to find or plan for a e-brake in your conversion.
nosaint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintDirect Link to This Post
ive got the same problem...There is a few guys on here with spot calipers but nobody has done any write ups.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post
Tabihs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TabihsSend a Private Message to TabihsDirect Link to This Post
I have spot calipers as part of my Held brake kit, but I had Jeremy at the Fiero Factory install them and they were part of a kit. From what I have seen though, the bracket + the calipers themselves look pretty simplistic, you might want to try emailing Erik at Held to see what it would run to get the spot calipers and bracket.

I will say that those spot calipers are only good for parking on level to soft inclines since I've managed to push the car before with them on when it was on a hill. I also unfortunately had to have a local shop do some work and they drove around with the ebrake on since the engine easily overpowers the little spot caliper pads. It'd be enough to pass inspection, but I personally leave it in gear + the brake just to have peace of mind.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
I dont have one on either of my cars but my mechanic over looks it.

But yes an E-brake is required for inspection.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 05-27-2010).]

meet_my_grandma

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for meet_my_grandmaSend a Private Message to meet_my_grandmaDirect Link to This Post
Im in MD and have historic tags (means no inspection for me!) but you guys need inspections every year so youll most likely need one to pass, unless you have connections with the inspector lol. My e brake was just straight up cut out when I got my car. I havent really done anything with it though.. Id like to sometime

[This message has been edited by meet_my_grandma (edited 05-27-2010).]

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2010 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by meet_my_grandma:

Im in MD and have historic tags (means no inspection for me!) but you guys need inspections every year so youll most likely need one to pass, unless you have connections with the inspector lol. My e brake was just straight up cut out when I got my car. I havent really done anything with it though.. Id like to sometime

Lol wouldent we all... none of my fiero's have e brake's working.. im getting used to using one with my jeep.
Steven_Kreg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2010 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven_KregSend a Private Message to Steven_KregDirect Link to This Post
Never had the Ebrake work on any of my 3 fieros

------------------

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2010 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
I didn't have one for a while on my 86 SE. I put Grand Am's on the front, and for a while, ran with the old front calipers on the rear. But now I have the Seville brakes on the rear, and have a working e-brake. Actually, the original one never really worked right.
rager87gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2010 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rager87gtSend a Private Message to rager87gtDirect Link to This Post
Mine doesnt work, it IS required for inspection, but my mechanic ignors it...and the broken speedo, and the broken horn, and bad suspension, and so on and so on!
PFF
System Bot
17Car

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2010 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 17CarSend a Private Message to 17CarDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies, I guess I will try to find a working solution. If not, then just cross my fingers.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2010 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
It is only a couple of wires how hard it is to make it functional again? I assume the calipers are same as fronts and you now need to work out a way to pull the brakes tight. Perhaps some sort of diff lock using the gearbox or trans axels as it doesn't have a standard diff. Like the way 4x4s or drift cars lock their diffs with a pin somehow i am sure some street rods have got around this in the past i am curious to see how you solve it.
sabooo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2010 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for saboooSend a Private Message to saboooDirect Link to This Post
When I bought my car I had to restore ebrake functionality to pass PA inspection as well.

------------------

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2010 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
This thread has a better explanation of the mod. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/083566.html

I found that the Fiero driver side cable was to short. A Pontiac 6000 cable is the correct length on the driver side.

The added advantage is that the Caddy caliper piston is just a wee bit smaller than the Grand Am piston, and it seems to balance the brakes perfectly without swapping the proportioning valve. Hope this helps.

Arn

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock