Started on: 05-27-2010 09:08 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: AkursedX on 05-28-2010 09:43 PM
lildevil

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
Anyone use HP tunes to tune their 3800 Fiero? I want to finally dyno tune my Fiero but they want between 600-900 dollars. Is this a typical price? Plus I have to buy the HP tuners program and that runs 400-600 dollars. I guess what i am asking is it worth the money to tune the car? Will i see HUGE gains or jus like 5-10 HP?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post
That is wayyy too much, with no guarantee on gains. I would drive to zzperformance in Wyoming, MI and get it tuned by ppl who know what they are doing and have their own equipment.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lildevil:

Anyone use HP tunes to tune their 3800 Fiero? I want to finally dyno tune my Fiero but they want between 600-900 dollars. Is this a typical price? Plus I have to buy the HP tuners program and that runs 400-600 dollars. I guess what i am asking is it worth the money to tune the car? Will i see HUGE gains or jus like 5-10 HP?

Yeah--Way to much money for a tune plus you have to buy the software. If you want the car tuned you better get to learning and buy the software for yourself...
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2010 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Direct Link to This Post
I been trying to find someone closer than Indiana or Michigan to tune a 3800 turbo, but I want it on the dyno that is the only true way to tune one and make positive it is at its peak performance.. I dont want to just throw away money but I dont mind spending the money to make it right either.. There are several round here that are good with the LS engines. So if anyone knows anyone in the southeastern states that is good with the 3800 I would appreciate any help at all. I would like to find somewhere closer so maybe it would be just a 1 day trip not take 2-3 days on the road..

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)

Rolling Thunder

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2010 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post
There are shops that will tune it for you. GMtuners is one... WCF might... FastFieros... I'm sure it helps if your engine is stock.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2010 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Once you bite the bullet and learn to tune yourself, then it is just a matter of going to any dyno shop to use their dyno and do your own tune.. just make sure they have a wide band. Most shops have a fixed charge for the X pulls and then an hourly charge after. The one 1/2 mile from my old house was $100 for 5 pulls and $75/hr after that. I did 18 WOT runs in 2 hrs dialing in the fuel and timing on my sbc swap for $175...
lildevil

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2010 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
I want to be able to do it myself but i don't want to blow it up either. Like what was stated earlier i want to get in on the dyno to tune it properly. I'm in Maryland so I need somewhere close by.

Is there a website that tells about tuning and what to look for when doing it so i don't blow it up?
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2010 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post
I would suggest buying HPTuners along with a wideband O2 sensor. From there, it's pretty easy to learn how to tune. I had zero experience tuning and with the wideband and HPTuners I learned on my own. You really don't even need a dyno. You can do most tuning on a nice open road, or at the drag strip. I scan in-between runs and make adjustments from there.

I am no master-tuner, but I have been doing well enough to not blow-up my engine and put together some good 1/4 mile times.

------------------
'88 GT- 3800 Turbo 11.367@121.03mph
gmtuners.com -Build info

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock