Black trim removal by temulance
Started on: 05-27-2010 07:47 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Blueiii on 05-28-2010 09:11 AM
temulance

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for temulanceSend a Private Message to temulanceDirect Link to This Post
any good sites on removal of trim to prep for paint?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
They are all mounted differently. Unless you are replacing the retaining clips, I'd mask over and paint. They can get pricy quick.
I was working on a write up on removing the whole body, but I haven't had enough time to put it all together in one thread. Most of the trim is pretty easy. The hardest ones I think are the door trim. You gotta kinda sneak in behind them to get the clips to release. Everything else is just nuts and bolts.
temulance

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for temulanceSend a Private Message to temulanceDirect Link to This Post
I think Id rather replace retaining clips myself and get a better finished look from paint. wouldnt you think? If somethings going to cost a few $20s id rather just collect them up. On the other hand I am going to repaint my car gold which it already is so even if I DID mask..... And took my time any "Bad Taped areas probably wouldnt be noticed. hmmmmmmmmm........

Carver... Thanks for the reply because I saw your build so far on the Shortbus and know you have much exp. in this area! Ill probably pm you if you dont mind if I have any real trouble.

[This message has been edited by temulance (edited 05-27-2010).]

Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
No problem. PM anytime. I'm not the most experienced here, but I have taken apart a few dozen over the years...
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2010 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
I removed all the trim and ground effects when I painted my Indy and GT.
It's not that difficult and makes for a much nicer job.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/102310.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-28-2010).]

Blueiii

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2010 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlueiiiSend a Private Message to BlueiiiDirect Link to This Post
Definitely remove the trim.

Bumper "Arrows": I took my bumper off. These are attached from inside the bumper.

Fenders - will need to come off, the trim is attached from the back end.

Doors - there is a rivet right beneath the door handle. You can simply pop this one out after lifting up the handle. I then used an interior tree puller to pop the clips from the trim. (These will likely break.)

Rear Quarters: There is a rivet that attaches on the back side of the inner door that may need to be drilled out, then proceed similar to the doors.

Finally, if you are going to repaint the car - what kind of shape are your bumpers in? I highly recommend Keystone if you have access to one. They will chemically strip the bumper, then they put it through a hot and cold bath. The heat allows the bumper to "soften," then the flash cold brings it back to the original shape. I am changing from a fiberglass front bumper to an OEM and got a quote of $163 to strip and treat my front GT bumper. They will also repair any cracks in the bumper. Definitely worth it, IMO. (Otherwise any spider cracks in the paint will show back up once you sand it and paint it.)

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock