Corolla GTS felt the wrath of La fiera! by La fiera
Started on: 05-26-2010 03:05 PM
Replies: 22
Last post by: La fiera on 06-03-2010 06:04 PM
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraDirect Link to This Post
Coming from petsmart back home on this back country road I'm following this old Taurus. Then I look in my mirror and this dude right on my rear bumper in a Celica GTS revving and doing zig zags. The Taurus in front slows down to a stop and takes a left. Ahead is a half mile stretch followed by a downhill left hander. 1st gear, second gear and WOT! The GTS is on my bumper but as the rpm goes up I'm pulling away slightly, 6000 rpm and shift to 3rd gear and I'm about a car lenght doing about 80 mph. The Left hander approaches at a fast pace, look back again and he is about 3 car lenghts. Right before the turn (speedo pegged) applied heel n toe technique, back to second gear, power on and progressively exited the turn about 75 mph. Look back and the GTS is about 10 car lengths. My adrenaline is high, 6000 rpm again and 3rd gear (yeehaa). Stop light coming up, started downshifting and also blimping the throttle (love my Thrush Welded muffler). GTS waves at me giving me the thumbs up, I waved back. Man, what a feeling! Can't wait to go to the roadcourse this summer.

Rei Moloon

[This message has been edited by La fiera (edited 06-03-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
nmw75

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nmw75Send a Private Message to nmw75Direct Link to This Post
Nice to see that these old cars can show up some of the newer "sporty" cars.

Be prepared for the lashings to follow
IVANNATINKLE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
just be careful and Drive safe
The MaD cOw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The MaD cOwSend a Private Message to The MaD cOwDirect Link to This Post
That poor poor car.
Bump

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BumpSend a Private Message to BumpDirect Link to This Post
Poor car my Azz! Thats what they are made for! Mine is in mint condition and yes I take great care of it with cleaning, maintenance, etc and I know what is good for a vehicle and what is very not good.... But when I drive it, I drive it like its stolen!

Gotta get on her once and a while and go! I havent had mine for long so the only "race" encounter I have had with it was my buddies 87 Porsche 944. Doesn't even hold a candle to the GT!!

I did take it to a deep dark, clean and clear parking lot the other night and wanted to see how well the 6 banger would light-em-up when I was by myself so I didnt try it infront of others and make an azz out of myself... Even with the weight of the motor over the wheels, I was impressed with the amount of tire that was shed!

rear wheel drive loves doughnuts!

Good beat man. Tough to say that it was all car vs car though because there could have been driver advantages too. I will take it as a Fiero win though!
The MaD cOw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The MaD cOwSend a Private Message to The MaD cOwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bump:

Poor car my Azz! Thats what they are made for! Mine is in mint condition and yes I take great care of it with cleaning, maintenance, etc and I know what is good for a vehicle and what is very not good.... But when I drive it, I drive it like its stolen!

Gotta get on her once and a while and go! I havent had mine for long so the only "race" encounter I have had with it was my buddies 87 Porsche 944. Doesn't even hold a candle to the GT!!

I did take it to a deep dark, clean and clear parking lot the other night and wanted to see how well the 6 banger would light-em-up when I was by myself so I didnt try it infront of others and make an azz out of myself... Even with the weight of the motor over the wheels, I was impressed with the amount of tire that was shed!

rear wheel drive loves doughnuts!

Good beat man. Tough to say that it was all car vs car though because there could have been driver advantages too. I will take it as a Fiero win though!

To each their own I suppose. but I baby mine. I've never even attempted to spin the tires. It's 25 years old and I plan on having it for awhile... on the road. and hey... I've got nothing to prove by beating on my car in an effort to show up some dumb kid riding my butt. ...But that's just me. I get just as much enjoyment on a nice evening cruise with the roof off.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
I found the video:

La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

I found the video:

Awesome video! I've seen that one before.

La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraDirect Link to This Post

La fiera

2186 posts
Member since Jun 2008

Originally posted by IVANNATINKLE:

just be careful and Drive safe

Thanks Ivan! I always do, but sometimes I like to make the car do what it was meant to do: turn!
FallenShadow 2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FallenShadow 2m4Send a Private Message to FallenShadow 2m4Direct Link to This Post
He'll yea man! That's my moto "Drive it like you stole it!"
nice see a Feiro kick some import tuner @ss.

------------------
--FallenShadow

Hockaday

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
agreed, if you baby a sports / muscle car you shouldn't own it imo. just buy a model. same effect. good show!
PFF
System Bot
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 06:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nmw75:

Nice to see that these old cars can show up some of the newer "sporty" cars.

Be prepared for the lashings to follow

Newer "sporty" cars? The AE86 Corolla is older than the Fiero?
Bump

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BumpSend a Private Message to BumpDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carcenomy:

Newer "sporty" cars? The AE86 Corolla is older than the Fiero?

you are correct. I am sure he was thinking of the more modern sporty corolla. A guy down the street has one and that was the first thing that came to my mind as well.

Originally posted by The MaD cOw:

To each their own I suppose. but I baby mine. I've never even attempted to spin the tires. It's 25 years old and I plan on having it for awhile... on the road. and hey... I've got nothing to prove by beating on my car in an effort to show up some dumb kid riding my butt. ...But that's just me. I get just as much enjoyment on a nice evening cruise with the roof off.

Any of my neighbors or friends could tell you that I baby my GT as well. Although I will "flex its muscles" and "clear the carbon build up" now and again!

Proper maintenance and knowing just how far you can push a machine is key.

My thought is, if I dont get on it and let 'er buck sometimes.... some kid (probably mine!) will when I die. And wheres the fun in that!
nmw75

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nmw75Send a Private Message to nmw75Direct Link to This Post
Yeah, I was thinking of the newer ones.... There really aren't too many old (80's) Toyota's in this area. They have all rusted away by now.

The MaD cOw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The MaD cOwSend a Private Message to The MaD cOwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hockaday:

agreed, if you baby a sports / muscle car you shouldn't own it imo. just buy a model. same effect. good show!

Way I see it... Everyone is entitled to drive / enjoy their car in whatever way they choose. The last 2 fieros I had were beat on.... and they died. I simply don't have deep enough pockets for unnecessary, self inflicted repair bills. If you do.. great... rip it up! Doesn't mean I don't enjoy reading the odd posting like this one, track videos, etc.. But If it was my "I smoked a corolla" post.... it would be followed the next day by: "ive got a weird rattling engine noise, help!"

But the whole "if it's not done my way, it's wrong" attitude is a bit pretentious if you ask me. I'd never sit here and say "if you're just gonna beat on it, you shouldn't own it" You enjoy it your way... I'll enjoy it mine.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post
I beat the crap out my Fiero, and that's not a bad thing.

When you beat on a car, things like suspension bushings, balljoints, tires, clutch, end up needing replacement more often. These are wear items - you're really not ruining the car.

Any sort of enthusiast is going to keep on top of the car's basic maintanance.

I'd rather have a beaten on enthusiast's car than one that's been "babied".

Babied = neglected in my book, usually submitted to the poor quality work of garages. The auto repair business is as bad as general contractors...

If that "babied" car went in for a suspension bushing replacement, it's only going to get its bushings replaced.

Is the garage going to take the time to remove the rust from the wishbones, and give everything a nice gleaming coat of paint? Are they going to chase the threads of the nuts/bolts they intend on reusing, and then reassembling with anti-seize? Of course not.

But sometimes, I like just driving sedately in a cool-looking car, with the sound of the 2.8 behind me, boulevard cruisin'.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 05-27-2010).]

La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraDirect Link to This Post
The GTS was a 2006 not an '80s AE86. I respect the way each individual drive their toys. In my case, mine is garaged kept. I bought it and it was a piece of junk. It wouldn't even start when I went to see it 3 hours away from my house but I bought it anyways. I've never driven a Fiero before I bought mine but when I saw it I saw the potential it had, and I was right! I have done karting all my life and to find a car that can duplicate that type of handling I had to get a very expensive europen car. I've driven some fancy cars thruout my lifetime, for example: my friends Corvette Z06, my brother's Mercedes Benz CLK55 Coupe with the paddle shifter (insane torque), a customer's Testarossa (15 years ago), NSX, BMW M3 and M5, Porsche Carrera4 Turbo, my 1969 Porsche 911T, 928 and some 944s that I can remember. Great cars but none of them had the Gokart handling I've been looking for. To my surprise, my little Fiero had what I've been looking for all these years! I will never compare my $1500 Fiero to my brother's $75k CLK but I tell you one thing, I gave him a ride through the same road that I beat that GTS and my brother was amazed at the way the Fiero behaved through that high speed left hander. He said he wouldn't even dare to do that with his heavy CLK!
So, when I take my fiero out for a spin (about twice a week) I want to have fun. I don't beat on it but if I can go fast with finesse and don't push past the limits of my car and do it in a safely maner, I'll be allright!

Good luck to all!

Rei Moloon
The MaD cOw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The MaD cOwSend a Private Message to The MaD cOwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Babied = neglected in my book, usually submitted to the poor quality work of garages. The auto repair business is as bad as general contractors...

If that "babied" car went in for a suspension bushing replacement, it's only going to get its bushings replaced.

Is the garage going to take the time to remove the rust from the wishbones, and give everything a nice gleaming coat of paint? Are they going to chase the threads of the nuts/bolts they intend on reusing, and then reassembling with anti-seize? Of course not.

*deleted*
Nevermind.... this is a stupid debate to be having.

[This message has been edited by The MaD cOw (edited 05-27-2010).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by La fiera:

The GTS was a 2006 not an '80s AE86. I respect the way each individual drive their toys. In my case, mine is garaged kept. I bought it and it was a piece of junk. It wouldn't even start when I went to see it 3 hours away from my house but I bought it anyways. I've never driven a Fiero before I bought mine but when I saw it I saw the potential it had, and I was right! I have done karting all my life and to find a car that can duplicate that type of handling I had to get a very expensive europen car. I've driven some fancy cars thruout my lifetime, for example: my friends Corvette Z06, my brother's Mercedes Benz CLK55 Coupe with the paddle shifter (insane torque), a customer's Testarossa (15 years ago), NSX, BMW M3 and M5, Porsche Carrera4 Turbo, my 1969 Porsche 911T, 928 and some 944s that I can remember. Great cars but none of them had the Gokart handling I've been looking for. To my surprise, my little Fiero had what I've been looking for all these years! I will never compare my $1500 Fiero to my brother's $75k CLK but I tell you one thing, I gave him a ride through the same road that I beat that GTS and my brother was amazed at the way the Fiero behaved through that high speed left hander. He said he wouldn't even dare to do that with his heavy CLK!
So, when I take my fiero out for a spin (about twice a week) I want to have fun. I don't beat on it but if I can go fast with finesse and don't push past the limits of my car and do it in a safely maner, I'll be allright!

Good luck to all!

Rei Moloon

OOOOOOOoooooohhhhhhhhhh. A Corolla GTS would imply either an AE86 (83-87 RWD) or the AE92 (88-91 FWD). So you beat maybe a Corolla XRS, with 170HP/130TQ and FWD on a downhill. An MR should run circles around an FF on the downhill with a skilled driver.
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post
Just remember, there is always someone faster. Unless, maybe, your John Force or FieroX.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fformula88:

Just remember, there is always someone faster. Unless, maybe, your John Force or FieroX.

That's why this story was about killing a Corolla, and not a Corvette
PFF
System Bot
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2010 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

That's why this story was about killing a Corolla, and not a Corvette

Yeah I know. I once killed a Saturn SC2 in my Fiero, back when I was young and not all that bright. (Well, maybe I am not too bright either, but I am well past street racing). Gotta take what you can get I guess.

La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraDirect Link to This Post
CORRECTION: it wasn't a Corolla, it was a Celica GTS.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock