Started on: 05-26-2010 02:00 PM
Replies: 22
Last post by: Fiero1Fan on 05-29-2010 08:05 PM
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
If I need to recharge my AC system, what are you opinions about buying r12 on Ebay (besides hoping it's a FULL can)

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from...t=See-All-Categories

My AC blows slightly cool air, Hafta check the pressure... I also hear a slight 'clunk" from behind my head every few seconds (sounds like something's opening and closing?)

("short cycling"?)

[This message has been edited by FieroRumor (edited 05-26-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
The clunk you hear is the system cycling. You're probably low on refrigerant, and if the stuff on Ebay is real R12, and you can get it at a decent price, you might as well go for it.
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, blue dude!
FieroMonkey

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyDirect Link to This Post
My neighbor was telling me there is a substitute for r12 now that is just as good and will work in an unmodified r12 system. Anyone else heard of this?

------------------

skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMonkey:

My neighbor was telling me there is a substitute for r12 now that is just as good and will work in an unmodified r12 system. Anyone else heard of this?

FieroMonkey, isn't there another thread going about "freeze 12" right now? That's probably what you're thinking of. Maybe its in GFC...

Nevermind, its actually in TD&Q - link

---------
I'll also say, if you plan on keeping R12 in your system, mark it as such. You don't want to be the guy responsible for damaging a shop's equipment because they didn't know you haven't changed over to the enviro-hippie approved stuff.

[edited: to quote and clarify]

[This message has been edited by skuzzbomer (edited 05-26-2010).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
If it has R-12 in there now, keep it all R-12.

Lots of eBay sellers will sell it to you 'for resale' or whatever. I got EPA Section 609 certification so I could legally purchase it without worrying about the feds knocking on the door.

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMonkey:

There is no such thing.

http://www.epa.gov/Ozone/sn...erants/macssubs.html

No other refrigerant is just as good as R12 that will work in an unmodified system. There are many that are "good enough" depending on the integrity of your system. But there are some that are downright dangerous, (I'm thinking highly flammable concoctions) and many are illegal.

http://findarticles.com/p/a..._200105/ai_n8948560/

The best substitute today in my opinion is good ole R134a. If you go with one of the more exotic mixtures you render your system untouchable by any reputable a/c shop.
FieroMonkey

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyDirect Link to This Post
Good to know. thanks for the info. If it sounds too good to be true.....
Terry_w

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Terry_wSend a Private Message to Terry_wDirect Link to This Post
you can almost always find r12 around here but it is high priced. $15-$20 per can. I am tempted by a "unopened" 30# bottle for $375.
ZombiePenguin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZombiePenguinSend a Private Message to ZombiePenguinDirect Link to This Post
im running hotshot in mine, and i didnt do any modifications, my uncle is an HVAC guy
DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
I've run propane when r-12 wasn't available to me. Just don't generate sparks when there's a leak. won't explode but still a fire is a bad thing.
PFF
System Bot
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DIY_Stu:

I've run propane when r-12 wasn't available to me. Just don't generate sparks when there's a leak. won't explode but still a fire is a bad thing.

WTF!?!?!?!?. Are you serious?
DIY_Stu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
Yes I'm serious. It has close to the same cooling properties as R12 just a little more flammable.
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

just a little more flammable.

Ya, just a "little" more...
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
haha, I was going to suggest propane and a fire extinguisher, beat me too it.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 5spd spec5
11.53@126.7

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Will I need oil, or just the r12?
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

Will I need oil, or just the r12?

If it hasn't leaked any oil, maybe not. How much oil is in the oil charge can? Both too much and too little oil can harm the system.
Steve25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve25Send a Private Message to Steve25Direct Link to This Post

I've been using a mixture of propane and isobutane in my vehicles for 8 years. Very cold, easy on the system.

Search for ES-12a from Autorefrigerants.com

------------------
Steve AT 88GTP DOT com
88 GT\3800 SC\4T65E-HD

Wanna go faster?

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2010 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steve25:

I've been using a mixture of propane and isobutane in my vehicles for 8 years. Very cold, easy on the system.

Aside from the fact that they are illegal you guys have way more guts than I do. Everything burns if you get it hot enough, but as leaky as my systems are there is no way I would be running a mixture like that in my cars.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2010 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
The combination of propane or butane and refrigerent oil when ignited has the potential to cause a lethal fire explosion. Since the A/C lines come into the cab, you could be "roasted turkey" in seconds. Also be advised if you get a fire due to the use of an illegal refrigerent, you have NO insurance. Your policy is only valid when you comply with the law ,same as if you are driving around with an expired inspection sticker. If you get into an accident that is your fault, and even if no fire results, if an investigation reveals that butane or propane is in your A/C system, you have NO insurance coverage. They will come after all of your assets and get them. Is it really worth the risk when R-134A is available and works very well?
Propane, Butane, Enviro-Safe are fire bombs waiting to happen. They were meant to power gas grills and stoves, not an A/.C system.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

DIY_Stu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2010 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
You ever see a Propane truck on fire? I have it just burns. doesn't explode. Not saying it's the safest thing but the fuel tank with the Electric Brushed motor in it is far more dangerous.
PFF
System Bot
DIY_Stu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2010 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
This just in..... Germany uses a Mix between Propane, Butane, and Tetrafluoroethane.
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2010 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
It is called r413e here.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock