Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  I think I may have caused an accident...

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

I think I may have caused an accident... by fierosound
Started on: 05-26-2010 12:47 AM
Replies: 35
Last post by: Rolling Thunder on 05-27-2010 10:35 PM
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
... through no fault of my own. (didn't do anything stupid)

I was sitting in in my GT in a left turn lane with 4 full lanes of traffic and about 6 cars between me and the traffic light. I had my windows down, stereo kinda cranked and fiddling with the deck in the dash. Beside me was a jacked 4x4 pickup. All I could see was the driver's arm.

The light changed to green for my left turn lane only (other lanes are still red), the cars in front of me moved up, and I took off as well. BANG! The small car in front of the 4x4 pickup (now next to me) was rear-ended by the 4x4 pickup and was forced into the SUV in front of him. The car went under actually lifting the SUV's onto the hood and the rear wheels off the road!! By then I was passed them and long gone.

Not exactly sure what distracted the driver of the 4x4 pickup (I think he was watching what I was doing through my passenger window), but he obviously was NOT looking out his windshield ahead of him and he just took off when our lane of traffic moved up. What a doofus!!

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-26-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
I notice that a lot. People seem to think when other people move forward, they should too. Regardless of the light situation.

..idiots...
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post
well, your average driver of a jacked 4x4 is a douchebag...and ALL of the ones ive seen on the beltline drive like d**ks, so dont beat yourself up over it. id bet it wasnt your fault in any way. even if it was, people that get distracted by someone else in their own car is going to crash sometime anyways, at least nobody was injured this time

Originally posted by theBDub:

I notice that a lot. People seem to think when other people move forward, they should too. Regardless of the light situation.

..idiots...

i see people try to take off straight at the sight of the green turn arrow.... pay attention or dont drive and endanger my life, thank you )

[This message has been edited by faaaaq (edited 05-26-2010).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

..idiots...

Seen that before as well. Car in left lane turns left with green arrow. Car next to him went through the intersection on a red light!!! Another doofus!

Good thing there was almost no other traffic at the time, otherwise he'd have nailed the car turning left from the opposite side of the intersection!

... not beating myself up at all. Just noted that a Fiero can really distract some driver's. Especially my Indy.
People spend so much time looking, they completely miss the traffic light changes sometimes.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-26-2010).]

faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Just noted that a Fiero can really distract some driver's.

the small amount of bass the BASS1200 puts out is enough to get everyone around to stare at my Fiero. i think it is a mixture of seeing a car theyve likely seen few times if ever, and having a teeny little car with bass that vibrates parts of the car. and obviously, your car and stereo are better than mine so obviously will draw more attention even

[This message has been edited by faaaaq (edited 05-26-2010).]

billpapps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 06:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for billpappsSend a Private Message to billpappsDirect Link to This Post
I have a jacked 4x4. But I am above average I have done the move up thingy when that left lane started moving.
Its almost a instinct thing. Multitasking is on a high level in the mornings for me.
Calling workers. Make sure the up and know where there going.Contractors calling in the
morning. Looking for a bid. Or to tell they are ready. Writing down notes so I don't forget
what I said or what they said. Its not as busy now days.I get more distracted waiting for
the phone to ring.
But I always look at the light. Then look to see if others has stopped moving.
Getting distracted is easy. Some people can't walk and chew gum without
falling down. I'm glad I don't chew gum.
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Seen that before as well. Car in left lane turns left with green arrow. Car next to him went through the intersection on a red light!!! Another doofus!

I have seen this happen countless times.

People sit at lights daydreaming, and instead of paying attention to the light they react to all the traffic around them.
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
Yea, it`s a shame that when you`re operating a 5000 + lb vehicle that driving gets in the way of all the other things you need to do.
Get a clue.
How about saving business for the office.
Rant over.
nosaint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintDirect Link to This Post
sounds about right for Calgary, dont miss driving in that City one bit!
batousai666

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
me too....well not by my hand tho....i was out in my Mera and noticed an Audi tailing me. thought maybe a little race so i let up, but so did they. i see a car in front of me signal a right turn i check the left lane, clear, and I get over but the Audi did not see that for the trees and had to take evasive action....seems they were trying to take a picture....Duh-Hoy! they catch up and are digging around in their passenger side leg area. i think they threw their phone during the panic.....wonder what the pic looks like!!??
then in the same 3 minutes i almost witnessed a Semi-truck run over a little car cuz the little guy did not use his turn signal....
WOW..scary. thats when i went home before i killed someone, i mean my car kills someone...
later
Daniel

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 05-26-2010).]

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

..idiots...

yup. classic stuff. the other side being no one moving because no one else is moving - again regardless of the light situation.....

I wonder if these folk are the same ones who must drive the same speed as the person next to them? another frustration of mine.....
PFF
System Bot
billpapps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for billpappsSend a Private Message to billpappsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

Yea, it`s a shame that when you`re operating a 5000 + lb vehicle that driving gets in the way of all the other things you need to do.
Get a clue.
How about saving business for the office.
Rant over.

Truck is my office. Where 75% of paper work takes place.
You should ride around with a cop one night. Its a wonder they don't crash a car everyday.
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

I wonder if these folk are the same ones who must drive the same speed as the person next to them? another frustration of mine.....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^DITTO, DITTO, DITTO.....^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
That`s why I don`t ride a bike anymore, because people can`t leave their sh*t at home or the office.
When I see Youtube videos of people texting, talking on the phone etc. and they run into someone
I think of some idiot hitting my inexperienced kid drivers when they are trying to do the right thing.
Everyone thinks they can operate a vehicle while doing a hundred other things until they run over somebody.
LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by faaaaq:

well, your average driver of a jacked 4x4 is a douchebag...

So the "average driver" of a 4x4 is a douchebag? Are you implying that the "average driver" of a Fiero is cool?

SO does one that drives both a Fiero and 4x4 turn from cool to douchbag back to cool as he switches between vehicles?
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LitebulbwithaFiero:
So the "average driver" of a 4x4 is a douchebag? Are you implying that the "average driver" of a Fiero is cool?

SO does one that drives both a Fiero and 4x4 turn from cool to douchbag back to cool as he switches between vehicles?

lol - he did specify "jacked 4x4"
I spent a few years mudding too. and I can somewhat agree with the stereotype....tho I'll be more specific in another direction and say Hummer drivers

lol - sorry - not really - it takes all kinds. its just so easy to standout when you pull a bonehead maneuever in a jacked 4x4. in a little Fiero, its hard enough just to be seen.....
Chump

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChumpClick Here to visit Chump's HomePageSend a Private Message to ChumpDirect Link to This Post

No. Just means that the Fiero/4x4 driver happens to be a refrigerated feminine hygiene product.
jokerb90

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jokerb90Send a Private Message to jokerb90Direct Link to This Post
My first fiero, an 85 GT, and I caused an incident once.....puts on flame suit.....

While waiting at the railroad cossing one day I realized that my GT would go under the closed RR bars. DISCLAIMER: I never "raced the train...thats even past what I would consider........

But after the train was gone, the bars remained down for about a minute. Got in the habit of waiting until the train was past, and scooted on through, under the gates.

Once, I had a truck behind me, waiting for the train to pass as well. Did my "normal" routine, train passed, off I went. Looked in the rear view to see the truck hitting the bar, and it sliding across the truck's hood. After that one, I stopped that little trick...
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
I see similar situation, but involving the opposite turn signal were the driver next to me "take-off" because he "assumes" it's okay because the traffic in the opposite direction is moving on the green light (normally, this isn't a problem but the asphalts now have sensors). Thus the driver moves forward and runs into the car ahead of him making a left turn. Also, it happens if your moving forward and then notice the car next to you taking off. The driver next to you then realizes that the light is still red-sometimes they're past the cross walk before they stop and have to reverse the car.

Get this, have you ever been at a red light and notice your car moving forward--so you step harder on the brakes thinking your brakes aren't working properly; only to realize that it's the car next to you that is creeping forward? It's a erie feeling, but it normally happens when your concentrating on something else.
------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 05-26-2010).]

Onefiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OnefieroSend a Private Message to OnefieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Get this, have you ever been at a red light and notice your car moving forward--so you step harder on the brakes thinking your brakes aren't working properly; only to realize that it's the car next to you that is creeping forward? It's a erie feeling, but it normally happens when your concentrating on something else.

Yes that used to happen to me all the time when I would ride shotgun. Usually it takes a semi to have this effect.
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
that and good periferial (sp) vision.
like my mom i have almost 360 deg. vision. "eyes in the back of her head". SLAP
i have a solid 180, anyway...my head is always moving for seeing thing on the left and/or right....
the side affect is a very acute sence of my surroundings....i see everything. ask my boss.

that feeling of moving while the foot is on the brake is weird....natural reaction is always push harder...thats funny, it happens all the time.

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I also see that all the time, they see you move and just jump on the gas....sometimes because they were too busy texting at the light to pay attention. Too bad for the guy in front of him, but serves the 4x4 jerkoff right. Now hes got a ticket and hopefully a big insurance increase because of his inattention. People dont realize anymore when your driving, you should be only driving. Ill bet one out of every 10 lights I stop for behind someone, they dont move when it turns green because there busy chatting with passenger, on the phone, text messaging or eating dinner instead of what there supposed to be doing. Hardly a day goes by if I drive much, I dont have to honk at someone at the green light. I had one guy a few weeks ago in the right turn lane. Traffic had a red light but green right arrow was on. I waited maybe 30 seconds for him to move. Then i bumped the horn. he put his car in park and walked back to tell me he didnt have to move till he wanted to. I told him green arrow means go, then drove around him over the corner of the sidewalk.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-26-2010 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
Great memory thread!

Cruising Gratiot Ave. @ 17 with a few friends. Sitting at red light talking with girls of the same age. (Gratiot was the place for a teenager to be in the 80's!) I goosed the gas pedal a bit to set the front of my 78 Chrysler LeBaron up a bit. Well, the female driver to the right of me never looked at the light. She just went upon my goosing of the throttle! Next thing you know, a car full of teenage girls are being smoked T-bone style by a Dodge Ram 50. (Funny, but I can't remember what the chicas were in? Maybe a Fairmont?) Everyone came out of the accident ok, and my friend Rob even dated the passenger for the summer.

The moral of the stroy is, pay attention. Other people will not.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
yea, I told my youngest when he started driving, to look before taking off into an intersection.
Just because he has a green light doesn`t mean someone isn`t running their crossing light.
I think the single most thing that made me totally aware of my surroundings was riding motorcycles for years.
My ex used to say I watched my mirror more than what was in front of me, but that comes from watching to see if someone was going to rear end me when I rode bikes.
I would have gotten clipped today if I hadn`t been looking in my mirror.
Traffic was stopping in front of me and I could tell the guy behind me was trying to get into the next lane because he kept turning around to see if it was clear.
Sure enough he decided to move over at the same time that traffic came to a stop and if I hadn`t have moved over slightly into the center turn lane he would have clipped me.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
HE saw your car and was thinking I bet I could drive over that one.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
I was actually in my F150 and he was in a small pick-up.
That did happen to me in my Fiero once, a woman kept trying to get over and I swerved out of her way before she nailed me.

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 05-26-2010).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
I was actually rear-ended once by someone who was watching the traffic light up ahead, but not the car (me!) in front of her. When the light turned green, she started rolling forward... never mind the 10-12 cars in front of her that haven't moved yet.
Terry_w

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Terry_wSend a Private Message to Terry_wDirect Link to This Post
About 30 years ago (obviously I was not in my fiero) I was driving down the highway doing approximately the speed limit . I was coming to my exit and saw that all lanes of traffic ahead was at a dead stop but it was clear to the exit so I didn't slow down. The exit I took was a nice wide circle shape. As soon as I took the exit I heard screeching tires, bam, bam, bam.....When I looked in my rear view mirror the car behind me hit the car that was stopped in front of me and the cars behind him were flying everywhere. Apparently the cars behind me were fixated on me and not noticing the traffic ahead being stopped. Everybody was trying to dodge someone but the traffic was heavy enough it looked like a bumper car ride.
I read in the newspaper the next day that there was 35 cars involved before it was over.

Another time I driving my mother to town (she didn't get her license til she was in her 70s, ) I suddenly pulled off the highway and stopped. About the same time she was saying "What's wrong?" a car went flying across the highway missing the car in front of us by only 10 feet or so and ended up in the ditch about 50' ahead of me. I had seen it lose control on the opposite direction on the highway, slid sideways across the grass median. I thought sure he was going to flip

I guess the moral is don't just watch the cars directly in front of you. Pay attention to everything you can see (and try to guess what you can't see )
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jokerb90:

s remained down for about a minute. Got in the habit of waiting until the train was past, and scooted on through, under the gates.

Once, I had a truck behind me, waiting for the train to pass as well. Did my "normal" routine, train passed, off I went. Looked in the rear view to see the truck hitting the bar, and it sliding across the truck's hood. After that one, I stopped that little trick...

IMHO you shouldnt have stopped (FOR THAT REASON lol). i would have continued to do it if i were you. why change your habits to prevent the stupidity of someone else? that is the root cause of all these sstupid laws about what we can or cant eat, what video games are or are not ok, etc...
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jokerb90:

My first fiero, an 85 GT, and I caused an incident once.....puts on flame suit.....

While waiting at the railroad cossing one day I realized that my GT would go under the closed RR bars. DISCLAIMER: I never "raced the train...thats even past what I would consider........

But after the train was gone, the bars remained down for about a minute. Got in the habit of waiting until the train was past, and scooted on through, under the gates.

LOL. I do the same thing
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 04:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I had one guy a few weeks ago in the right turn lane. Traffic had a red light but green right arrow was on. I waited maybe 30 seconds for him to move. Then i bumped the horn. he put his car in park and walked back to tell me he didnt have to move till he wanted to. I told him green arrow means go, then drove around him over the corner of the sidewalk.

Seriously, what was his problem???
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
just a typical azz. I was waiting for him to start some crap in front of 20 witnesses so I could just shoot him. You cant take a swing at someone thru a car window and not expect a response.
Onefiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OnefieroSend a Private Message to OnefieroDirect Link to This Post
I just saw the same thing happen today. The turn lane when and the the SUV that was in front of me drove into the intersection during a red light and had to reverse to get back behind the line lol
RickN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fformula88:
I have seen this happen countless times.

People sit at lights daydreaming, and instead of paying attention to the light they react to all the traffic around them.

Obviously not all! Just the ones that are moving. LOL

------------------
RickN
White 88GT 5spd (<10K miles)
White 85GT (SC3800 Series II w/ AOD)
White 99 F250SD 7.3PSD 6spd
1956 Ford 860 Tractor w/ Freeman Loader
20Ft H&H Tilt Bed Trailer

17Car

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 17CarSend a Private Message to 17CarDirect Link to This Post

So what category does a person who drives a jacked up 4x4 fiero belong in?
Rolling Thunder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post
A guy I know with an F150 (with about a 36 inch lift and huge tires) did something worse. He doesn't have sufficient mirrors on his truck, so he "guesses" sometimes where people are... anyways, he completely ran over a Ford Taurus... bumper to bumper as I understand it. The insurance company's appraiser saw that it was an F150 on paper, but not a monster truck. I heard there was a "we were insuring this?" kind of response.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock