new belt squeal by jim94
Started on: 05-24-2010 12:52 AM
Replies: 8
Last post by: whodeanie on 05-27-2010 08:52 AM
jim94

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2010 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Direct Link to This Post
i had a mechanic put a new belt on my v-6, every time i start the car up it squeals bad. is there something wroung.i need help.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jarhead 2m4

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2010 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jarhead 2m4Click Here to visit Jarhead 2m4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jarhead 2m4Direct Link to This Post
From my limited understanding, they need a bit of readjustment when new. Kinda like a break-in period thing.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2010 04:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jim94:

i had a mechanic put a new belt on my v-6, every time i start the car up it squeals bad. is there something wroung.i need help.

You will need a metal bar about 2 foot long put it under the alternator and loosen the alternator bolt now take up the slack with the bar by lifting the alternator now tighten that bolt whilst lifting and problem solved.

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2010 04:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Australian

4701 posts
Member since Sep 2004
I will add the mechanic did the right thing your new belt just stretched a little he installed it tight it has just stretched a little and is all normal.
Jarhead 2m4

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2010 04:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jarhead 2m4Click Here to visit Jarhead 2m4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jarhead 2m4Direct Link to This Post
Yeah, I was pretty sure it was just in need of a tightening. This happens.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2010 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Direct Link to This Post
retighten AFTER cleaning the pullys - you might wat to look into a belt tensioner from Rodney Dickmen or Dodgerunner.
jim94

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Direct Link to This Post
i tightened the belt today, dam that was not easy but it does not squeal. i wish i had smaller hands.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
Make a tool something like the one on the left of this pic. Stuff it between the pulleys and open it out using the nut to tension the belt, tighten up the accessory bolts and remove the tool. Beats trying to swing on a bar to keep the belt tensioned with one hand while using your other two hands (!) to tighten the bolts!

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
I hate the belt squeal that all v6 Fieros have. I have used Dodgerunners kit on several Fieros and I love it. no more noise or over tight belts.
D.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/039384.html

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock