Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Have you ever vacationed in your Fiero? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Have you ever vacationed in your Fiero? by N3M3S1S
Started on: 05-20-2010 02:37 PM
Replies: 41
Last post by: N3M3S1S on 05-24-2010 06:06 PM
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post
My girlfriend and I are right now. We packed 4 days of clothes, lots of alcohol(..lots), and a 32 inch LCD TV in the back of my Formula and drove it about 80 miles south to her beach house and the party begins today. She's cleaning up right now because it's the first of the year she's been here and told me to go occupy myself, lol. So here I default to PFF, does that make me a junky?

So tell us about your Fiero vacation stories!

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
Katatak, myself, and our spouses just returned from the AAFO meet in San Antonio. 1450 mile round trip in 4 days in our Fieros. I took 3 VAC days from work, so I guess that counts.
N3M3S1S

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post
Now that's a trip, lol. My car is having issues right now so this as far as I'll take her, lol. On my way down I passed a lot of neat and unique cars, a VERY nice studebaker coupe(dunno what exactly, said "grand-something" on the side", an old milk truck(We're the '50s tru cks), and a sweeeeeeeet Mustang Shelby GT350.

[This message has been edited by N3M3S1S (edited 05-20-2010).]

ARKaiser

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserDirect Link to This Post
A couple of years back we spent a week making a trip around Lake Michigan. We started in the Holland Mi area and went south around Chicago and up into Wisconsin. North to the UP and back home to Lansing. We stopped at as many lighthouses as we could get to. It's surprising how much you can pack when you think ahead what you really need.
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleDirect Link to This Post
No stories just a little advice when far from home in a Fiero:

1) Never, ever put chocolate bars in your suitcase in the trunk
unless you want to be called "Hershey Squirts".
2) You're better off in a tent than trying to sleep in a Fiero.
3) Start looking for gas at no less than 1/3 tank.
4) Pack every nook and cranny you can. (you'll need it)
5) Thou shalt always carry a spare module in thy Fiero.
6) AAA, credit card and your cell are a MUST!

Kit
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Frizlefrak:

Katatak, myself, and our spouses just returned from the AAFO meet in San Antonio. 1450 mile round trip in 4 days in our Fieros. I took 3 VAC days from work, so I guess that counts.

Hmmm... I came up with 1507 miles! Your speedo must be off! Or is it my speedo that is off? Crap - now I have to go work on the Formula. I will add that it was a great trip - 4 days straight in the Fiero was a blast. Averaged 28.7 MPG - not bad considering that the majority was @ 80 plus with the AC on. I did see 32.3 mpg at one time. I think that was when I was following Revin in his Fiero!

The weekend before - we went on a one day vacation in the mountains of S. New Mexico. About 275 miles chasing a bunch of Corvettes - I did not do so well on my MPG that day!

Pat
Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
When I was living in upstate NY, I'd drive to Daytona for the spring show. I'd drive to Wisconsin for the Dells, Carlisle for the Kit Car show. I'd drive Maine to visit friends. Now that I'm in Florida, I've done the same trips. Be careful what goes into the trunk.
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

No stories just a little advice when far from home in a Fiero:

1) Never, ever put chocolate bars in your suitcase in the trunk
unless you want to be called "Hershey Squirts".
2) You're better off in a tent than trying to sleep in a Fiero.
3) Start looking for gas at no less than 1/3 tank.
4) Pack every nook and cranny you can. (you'll need it)
5) Thou shalt always carry a spare module in thy Fiero.
6) AAA, credit card and your cell are a MUST!

Kit

You've done this a time or two, haven't you?

Our Fieros ran flawlessly the whole trip. But had we not packed half the garage full of tools, they wouldn't have.

silver 85 sc

Feedback score:    (40)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scDirect Link to This Post
How about how many times have you vacationed in your Fiero?

South Dakota (Webster)
Wisconsin Dells
Minneapolis
Pontiac Michigan (25th)

and these are just the trips I took

My sister has taken several
My Mom took one
My in-laws took one to Nashville

These were all taken in the same 1985 Sport Coupe which I am still driving today 21 years after I bought it.

Rich
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
Took my '87 coupe to Ocean City, MD probably about 11-12 years ago.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Year before last, I took the Fiero on a nice, long road trip (about 7500 miles). Luckily, I brought a basic tool kit. Because I did have some mechanical problems (radiator popped in Yellowstone, and radiator fan died in Colorado). Anyway, here are a few photos of the Fiero on vacation.

At a rest stop in west Texas (heading west on I-10):

Looking down at the Fiero from a high dune at White Sands:

The campground at the Grand Canyon:

And last but not least, the Fiero admiring the Grand Tetons:

PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by N3M3S1S:

My girlfriend and I are right now. We packed 4 days of clothes, lots of alcohol(..lots), and a 32 inch LCD TV in the back of my Formula and drove it about 80 miles south to her beach house and the party begins today. She's cleaning up right now because it's the first of the year she's been here and told me to go occupy myself, lol. So here I default to PFF, does that make me a junky?

So tell us about your Fiero vacation stories!

Since when did you find a girl that will put up with you... and since when did you get your fiero fixed? You better be at carlisle.
Philero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhileroSend a Private Message to PhileroDirect Link to This Post
My wife and I go camping for 2-3 days at a time about a dozen times each summer. That amount of time allows the Fiero to be packed snugly, but not over-doing it. I must admit though, not many people want to go where we do... it is a "Dry Camp" and is a bit... hmm... exposed.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Frizlefrak:

Katatak, myself, and our spouses just returned from the AAFO meet in San Antonio. 1450 mile round trip in 4 days in our Fieros.

Funny part is he never left the state and was still about 300 miles short of making it to the other end...

In 2008 I drove from Houston to Detroit, Canada and New York with me and my son. We made it no issues over 3600 miles.
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Funny part is he never left the state and was still about 300 miles short of making it to the other end...

In 2008 I drove from Houston to Detroit, Canada and New York with me and my son. We made it no issues over 3600 miles.

Texas is one BIG friggen' state. I'm closer to Los Angeles than to Houston.

One of these days when I finally decide to quit working, I'd love to do a summer long Fiero tour of the entire country. Something tells me we will be doing laundry quite frequently.
Spynx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpynxClick Here to visit Spynx's HomePageSend a Private Message to SpynxDirect Link to This Post
One time when I was pretty young, me, my dad, and my two brothers got a whole weekend's worth of camping gear (tents, sleeping bags, food, clothes, etc.) into my dad's old Fiero. Not to mention all four of us. I don't know that this is a stunt that could ever be repeated.

------------------

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spynx:

One time when I was pretty young, me, my dad, and my two brothers got a whole weekend's worth of camping gear (tents, sleeping bags, food, clothes, etc.) into my dad's old Fiero. Not to mention all four of us. I don't know that this is a stunt that could ever be repeated.

SRSLY?!
ManMadeChickens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 03:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensDirect Link to This Post
My Dad and I drove from Portland, Oregon to Pontiac, Michigan for the 25th Show. Then around town for the weekend, and took the southern route through Indy to catch the NASCAR race before heading home. The trip was probably close to 5500 miles total. His car hit 250,000 miles about half an hour from home. Two weeks mostly spent inside a Fiero with your Dad may not sound like fun to most people, but I had the time of my life. We played real-life Tetris getting all our stuff in and out of the trunk at every hotel.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
The wife and I took the SBC fiero on our honeymoon back in 2005 from IL to WI to FL and back to IL on a 2 week trip. Since that time I have taken it solo on several other 500+ mile trips and long hauled the Power Tour a couple of times.

Helps to have a fiero trailer for all the stuff!

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 05-21-2010).]

N3M3S1S

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
Since when did you find a girl that will put up with you... and since when did you get your fiero fixed? You better be at carlisle.

I've been with her for 6 months now. :P I dunno, she must be weird if she likes me eh? And this weekend also serves as a test for the Formula, I think it might be able to make the trip to Carlisle. We'll see.
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
yup. gone camping in the Fiero many times.
the tent & foldy chairs & sleepy bags get bungeed on to the back deck.
the trunk gets filled with solid stuff, and the front get stuffed with soft stuff which squeezes around the spare tire easily.
and a small cooler & munchies in the passenger footwell, since the wifey is tiny

later - for a full week camping in Shenendoah Nat'l Park, actually went and strapped on a cargo bubble
what a treat that was blasting down the Ohio & Penn turnpikes with a little Fiero w/cargo bubble on top. yes, CG was a bit off.....

PFF
System Bot
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
The bubble would be great.....I just can't imagine what it would do to aerodynamics at 85-90 mph on I-10 between El Paso and Kerrville as I'm trying to stay up with Katatak.
Spynx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpynxClick Here to visit Spynx's HomePageSend a Private Message to SpynxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

SRSLY?!

Yeah seriously... my dad drove, I sat in the middle, my oldest brother sat in the passenger seat, and my other brother on the floor in front of him. All our stuff was behind the seats, in the trunk, strapped to the luggage rack, and some was even stashed up front. XD

------------------

Fiero STS

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSDirect Link to This Post
Me and a friend toured alaska in my 84. Kenai to Anchorage to Fairbanks to Valdeze back to Anchorage to Seward to Soldaotna to Homer and back to Kenai in a week.

Also drove from Kenai to St. Paul MN. in the same Fiero.
fast40driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fast40driverSend a Private Message to fast40driverDirect Link to This Post
Yes, my wife still reminds me of the first vacation night that we wound up spending sleeping in the car up on the Olympic Peninsula - couldn't find a room anywhere. She had thought we should leave a day early, as it was our anniversary that day - neither of us knew there was a Jazz Festival going on, and every room was taken.

A little OT, but in reply to Spynx:

I grew up in England, and when the family Standard died, an old Royal Enfield 500 became the new "Car". We took it on vacation for two weeks - Dad on the front, me in the back, Mom in the front of the sidecar, my two sisters in the back of the sidecar, - and Mum was quite pregnant with my little sister. Plus clothes for the five of us for two weeks tied on pretty well everywhere. We did get a stare or two when we unloaded.

Mike
HoMiE_TeLeFrAgGeD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HoMiE_TeLeFrAgGeDSend a Private Message to HoMiE_TeLeFrAgGeDDirect Link to This Post
I've gone on several trips in my Silver 85 Fiero - I drove it daily to school and work, plus many frequent trips to chicago to visit family. Took it to Georgia, several places in Michigan and ohio....drove it all over! Duke had its fair share of highway miles thats for sure....
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spynx:

Yeah seriously... my dad drove, I sat in the middle, my oldest brother sat in the passenger seat, and my other brother on the floor in front of him. All our stuff was behind the seats, in the trunk, strapped to the luggage rack, and some was even stashed up front. XD

i fit me, my best friend, and a chick who is damn near 5 foot 10 inches in my fiero. she sat on the floor lol

i will be taking my Fiero to Cave In Rock IL near the end of August, tho. hopefully it makes the trip ok lol. going for a, uh, "Gathering." weekend long concert thing, sleeping either in/on the Fiero or bringing a tent. ticket price includes weekend (thursday thru sunday/monday) pass for the camp grounds. not too far of a trip tho so im not worried
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 02:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
I've vacationed in my Fieros on many occasions. IL, FL, OK, TN,GA, TX, and CA; it doesn't make any difference--I've driven them and packed all of the items in the trunk.

In GA rest stop. Sleept in the car.

NM traveling to IL.

In Largo FL.

NV, nearing Las Vagas baby!

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 05-23-2010).]

Fierfly

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 03:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierflySend a Private Message to FierflyDirect Link to This Post
Last October, we took the Fiero across the state, up the Outer Banks. We saw one of the aquariums and the maritime museum, then enjoyed a long ferry ride with a dolphin escort. We flew kites at Kitty Hawk, then got a look at the Hatteras lighthouse and watched surfers braving the cold, rough surf at the cape. Perhaps I can convince CowsPatoot to provide a few more pics.

------------------
A good man is hard to find...but a good Fiero mechanic is "rare".

vrossiter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vrossiterSend a Private Message to vrossiterDirect Link to This Post
Not yet. But with any luck, very soon, my wife and I will be traveling to New Jersey, by plane, and driving the 87 back from the Haus. Several stops planned along the way and looking for more.
Vince
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spynx: Yeah seriously... my dad drove, I sat in the middle, my oldest brother sat in the passenger seat, and my other brother on the floor in front of him. All our stuff was behind the seats, in the trunk, strapped to the luggage rack, and some was even stashed up front. XD

I bet the people at the campground thought you all were nuts... LOL.
PFF
System Bot
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
I"ve driven my fiero through all but 5 states so far - going to have to get to the Northwest someday
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
Last summer, I drove the GT from Chicago to Toronto for Caribana (the West Indian Festival.) Since I went alone, I had room for my stuff and the obligatory spares/tools/etc. If my lady had wanted to go, there's no way I could've taken the Fiero. Her shoes ALONE would've taken up all the trunk space! Other than my ignition module taking a dump in Windsor, Ontario (just over the US/Canada border from Detroit) I didn't have any problems. I, of course, carry a couple of spare modules in my tool case!

It seems my car never craps out during a weekday or within any given city limits so dying in Windsor was a first!

------------------

DavePatron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DavePatronClick Here to visit DavePatron's HomePageSend a Private Message to DavePatronDirect Link to This Post
never vacationed in mine but i did drive it from California to New york once lol

------------------
Just got a 88 Formula! Got parts? i need suspension parts! hit me up!

want a real upgrade?
Lamborghini Kit Cars Fiero and Kit car Insurance
Obama's Health Plan? Are we doomed?

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
I drove it to Florida for Daytona this year and stayed for an additional two weeks. That was about 1500 miles on the car for this trip so that may count as a "vacation".

Nelson
vballman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vballmanClick Here to visit vballman's HomePageSend a Private Message to vballmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

The wife and I took the SBC fiero on our honeymoon back in 2005 from IL to WI to FL and back to IL on a 2 week trip. Since that time I have taken it solo on several other 500+ mile trips and long hauled the Power Tour a couple of times.

Helps to have a fiero trailer for all the stuff!

I LOVE the trailer!
Darth88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2010 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth88FormulaClick Here to visit Darth88Formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth88FormulaDirect Link to This Post
I would love to vacation in the fiero, but this is impossible for three reasons:

1 - the car isn't running at the moment
reasons 2 and 3 are my two golden retrievers that travel with the wife and me when we go on vacation anywhere, and the fiero doesn't offer the amount of room necessary for traveling with two dogs plus a spouse I just can't stand the thought of boarding my dogs. I have friends that would love to take care of them for a few days, but I try to go places that I can take the dogs with me.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2010 05:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by vballman:

I LOVE the trailer!

The best fiero trailer ever
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2010 06:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Australian

4701 posts
Member since Sep 2004
I don't think i could handle going anywhere too far. It is hard enough driving in traffic for 30 min in a manual if in a jam i couldn't keep up the clutch action very long.
turbo86se

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2010 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seDirect Link to This Post
Reading everyones posts really makes me miss having my Fiero (s). Back in '00 I was living in SC, I drove my turbo-charged '86SE to a show in Williamsburg VA. Had a great time and took 3rd place (out of three cars in Modified Notchback lol). After the show I continued north to Maryland and stayed with the fam for the day. Then we all headed west to Deep Creek Lake to stay at our lake house for a few days. Then I made the whole trip back to SC in one day. Man I loved driving that car. I'm still on the look-out for another one! I'll see if I can post a pic from that trip, or could anyone post it for me?

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock