Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Fiero Store interior paint -- Disappointing!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Fiero Store interior paint -- Disappointing! by TopNotch
Started on: 05-18-2010 03:42 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: cornersonrails on 05-20-2010 08:40 AM
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
I'm trying to paint the gray plastic pieces in my car to match the charcoal pieces so the yellow and black theme will look better. Compare the center console and shift cover in this picture, and imagine them both charcoal like the shift cover.

So I paid the big bucks and got a can of the Fiero Store's charcoal interior paint. I am very disappointed in it. First of all, the color is not exact. It has a very slight blue tint to it -- not pure charcoal. Second, it takes FOREVER to dry. Pieces I painted Saturday are still a little sticky. Baking them in the sun seems to help.
I bought a can of Duplicolor vinyl and fabric charcoal paint, and am going to try that. I will update this when I know the result. It's certainly a lot cheaper.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
SNAPPY829

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SNAPPY829Send a Private Message to SNAPPY829Direct Link to This Post
I did my dash with the duplicolor flat black and it looks awsome and wears well no problems. It really stinks when you spray it (need to be in a well ventilated area) but it looks like new!!! Drys fast....
Trust one

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Trust oneSend a Private Message to Trust oneDirect Link to This Post

Beautiful Car.LOve the Color Scheme.

------------------
Remember to always say i love you to people who matter...

nosaint

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintDirect Link to This Post
cant say anything about the color matching but i used SEM landau black, loved it. I mean loved it, dries fast, perfect sheen and seems durable

http://www.semproducts.com/

------------------
1986 Fiero GT-T intercooled turbo
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/079710.html

85sliverGT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTDirect Link to This Post
I tried using flat spraypaint one time, and it was just like you said sticky. Some parts were always sticky weeks later. When I decided I had enough, I took it all back out and re-sprayed everything with Dupli-color Vinyl and Fabric, and it worked great. Looks perfect and you can get it at most auto stores.
fieroguy123

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
I did my whole interior with the rustoleum brand interior vinyl and fabric dye. It's turned out absolutely BEAUTIFUL, dries very quickly, and so far it wears very well. So if the duplicolor doesn't work out for you I highly recommend it.

[This message has been edited by fieroguy123 (edited 05-18-2010).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2010 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

Second, it takes FOREVER to dry. Pieces I painted Saturday are still a little sticky.

I agree. I painted a shift knob over a year ago...it's almost dry enough to be used...almost.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2010 04:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I would ditch the charchol if i was you and stick to black why restore just modify to match the rest.
pete 2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2010 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pete 2m4Send a Private Message to pete 2m4Direct Link to This Post
i used the light grey and the charcoal from the fiero store. the light grey dried fast and no problems the charcoal i agree took awhile to dry.
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2010 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pete 2m4:

i used the light grey and the charcoal from the fiero store. the light grey dried fast and no problems the charcoal i agree took awhile to dry.

The mainthing to keep in mind when painting such items is you have get them clean; no armorall wax, body oil or whatever on them else!!!
BTW great looking car

------------------
[IMG]

trueleo.com
RSpiderII@aol.com

connecticutFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2010 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post
I did my interior black years ago, I used duplicolor on some pieces and then I used some specialized vinyl paint that was pretty expensive on the others. It held up pretty well, but now 6 or 7 years later it's worn through in some spots and needs a touch up. Mostly the door panels and the shift console are what need touching up.
PFF
System Bot
Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2010 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
Use pep boys panel prep cleaner wipes and then hit it with a tack cloth. Buy their interior grey paint, it's close. Don't expect new paint to match old paint but pep boys is close match.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 04:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I was going to repaint my interior but i used a white paste cleaner (gumption or gif) and it all came up like new so i decided that it wasnt required you may be suprised what comes off with a polish.
cornersonrails

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cornersonrailsClick Here to visit cornersonrails's HomePageSend a Private Message to cornersonrailsDirect Link to This Post
I just visited last weekend a forum member who said he used the duplicolor I believe and then he said he took a heat gun at about a foot away and it turned out perfect. He said the heat gun like bakes it in and dries it immediatley and then you can scratch the surface even and it doesnt show it. Dont know his forum name but he is in Indiana.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock