(Yes I searched) :) 3.4 Liter Motor Differences by RockyBalboaLives
Started on: 05-17-2010 04:29 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: hookdonspeed on 05-17-2010 07:59 PM
RockyBalboaLives

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RockyBalboaLivesSend a Private Message to RockyBalboaLivesDirect Link to This Post
Okay, quick and dirty, what is the difference between the 93-95 3.4 V6's and the 180-hp 3.4 liter that comes in the base model Impala circa 2003?

Thanks!! :thumbup:
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
im an idiot....

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 05-17-2010).]

IROCTAFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IROCTAFIEROSend a Private Message to IROCTAFIERODirect Link to This Post
Wrong. Impalas didn't have DOHCs.
the 180hp 3.4 is actually a 3400. Aluminum heads iron block.
Camarobird 3.4 is iron heads and block
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post
Both are pushrod engines. Neither of them is DOHC.

Impala:
Better flowing lighter weight aluminium heads
Roller lifters
Correct starter location

Camaro
Same inferior iron heads as Fiero, making this more of a bolt-on affair
Flat tappets
Starter mounting holes must be drilled for Fiero application
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post
the 3.4 in the newer cars is refered to as a 3400,

you can swap one into a fiero if that is what your asking, but they are alot more "modern" of an engine, as stated before, alum heads, better flowing intake, they also do not allow the use of a distributor due to the intake systems.

people have ran obd1 on them, but obd2 is the ecu of choice for most swappers..

60degreev6 has much much info on these.
salaciouse1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for salaciouse1Send a Private Message to salaciouse1Direct Link to This Post
the 3.4 pushrod(93-95 camaro/firebird) is a direct swap, only difference is the starter location which has to be drilled on other side of block. Uses fiero 2.8 acsesories, heads, intake,etc, and canrun on 2.8 fiero ecm. 3400 v6 is DOHC-swappable but much more work. Requires new ecm/harness, fabricated/altered mounts, custom exhaust, and it weighs around 600lbs and no fiero parts will bolt on except transmission.
RockyBalboaLives

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RockyBalboaLivesSend a Private Message to RockyBalboaLivesDirect Link to This Post
Ahh ok so that makes sense, question #2 are these easy to turbo charge and how much harder is the swap if compared to the 93-95 Iron block V6's?
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by salaciouse1:

the 3.4 pushrod(93-95 camaro/firebird) is a direct swap, only difference is the starter location which has to be drilled on other side of block. Uses fiero 2.8 acsesories, heads, intake,etc, and canrun on 2.8 fiero ecm. 3400 v6 is DOHC-swappable but much more work. Requires new ecm/harness, fabricated/altered mounts, custom exhaust, and it weighs around 600lbs and no fiero parts will bolt on except transmission.

the 3400 IS NOT A DOHC!!!!!!!
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post

hookdonspeed

7980 posts
Member since May 2008

Originally posted by RockyBalboaLives:

Ahh ok so that makes sense, question #2 are these easy to turbo charge and how much harder is the swap if compared to the 93-95 Iron block V6's?

easyer then the 3800, they "bolt" right in, can use a 88 neutral balanced flywheel, and the stock fiero clutch, all the mounts can stay the same you may need to modify the front L mount bracket tho (just cut a small notch out to clear the diffret designed oilpan, takes 2min w/ a cutter, and no skill needed)

now the wiring is a bit more involved, depends on what ecu you wanted to go with... if you stick with obd2, you just need to flash it to get rid of things like passkey, then tie it into the fiero.. if your going obd1, youll need a custom chip...

then ofcourse theres exhaust and cooling lines...
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post

hookdonspeed

7980 posts
Member since May 2008
oh, and to your turbo question, yes they love boost, how much is debateable.... but 300+hp is common on stock boosted 3400's.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock