3800 SC Gu roos by fastback 88
Started on: 05-16-2010 05:58 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 05-19-2010 10:56 AM
fastback 88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastback 88Send a Private Message to fastback 88Direct Link to This Post
I have a chance to buy a buddy a 04 3800 SC auto tranny harness and computer out of a 04 chev montey carlo with 40,000 miles for $1200.00. How hard would it be to put in a fiero? Is this a II or a III? I have not seen it yet ,but I can here it run before he pulls it. I put a 3800SC II in a fiero from a 2000 gtp ,will this be alot differant or about the same?
Thanks,
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rolling Thunder

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wik..._V6_engine#Series_II

It's a Series II (L67). It'd be exactly the same as the one from the 2000 GTP.

If you had a Series III, it'd be a bit different.

For the price and the mileage, I'd go for it. I paid less for my SC III, but it was a real deal.

If you hear it run and it passes a compression test, I'd call it good.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
seems expensive to me. I wouldnt pay a over $600, probably wouldnt ever suggest anyone to buy it for more than 750.
LAMBO

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LAMBOSend a Private Message to LAMBODirect Link to This Post
It's a fair price for the mileage. Go for it. These are starting to become hard to find with under 100k miles.
D B Cooper

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for D B CooperSend a Private Message to D B CooperDirect Link to This Post
As long as you're paging the gurus.... anyone know how to make the stock Fiero speedometer work with the PCM out of an 02 Regal GS ?
FieroMonkey

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

seems expensive to me. I wouldnt pay a over $600, probably wouldnt ever suggest anyone to buy it for more than 750.

where are you finding 3800SC with tranny's for $600-$750 I have never been able to find just the engine by itself for less than that, unless the miles were over 100k that is.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Any junkyard in my town sells them for that. I got a series3 with gen5 blower for $800 the other day.
FieroMonkey

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyDirect Link to This Post
good grief. The yards around here are ripping ppl off then. I can't imagine why they want so much more for them here. It isn't as if we don't have millions of cars down here.
eph_kay

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eph_kaySend a Private Message to eph_kayDirect Link to This Post
A 2004 engine is a series 3 engine, you need to find out if the the transmission is a tap shift transmission. If it is you will have to use a 2004+ computer keep the electronic throttle and returnless fuel system, and build up a more "advanced" engine swap. I would suggest trying to buy the engine and harness alone, and get a transmission from a pre 2003 car and run it as a series 2.

This is just my experience running a 2004 engine with a 2003 transmission, and destroying the transmission by not knowing that I had to run a 2003 computer.

Otherwise I paid $1200 for my 40k mile 04 engine by itself, so it seams like a good deal to me, even if you pick it all up and sell the tranny.

Chris
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2010 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by eph_kay:

A 2004 engine is a series 3 engine, you need to find out if the the transmission is a tap shift transmission. If it is you will have to use a 2004+ computer keep the electronic throttle and returnless fuel system, and build up a more "advanced" engine swap. I would suggest trying to buy the engine and harness alone, and get a transmission from a pre 2003 car and run it as a series 2.

Wrong, only pontiac/buick used the series3, many series2's were still installed in 04/05 chevy's. You do not need to "keep the 04 computer" even if you got a series3, you can easily convert it to a series2 pcm.

This is just my experience running a 2004 engine with a 2003 transmission, and destroying the transmission by not knowing that I had to run a 2003 computer.

Otherwise I paid $1200 for my 40k mile 04 engine by itself, so it seams like a good deal to me, even if you pick it all up and sell the tranny.

The trans works fine if you knew what pcm to run. It doesnt really limit you much if at all.
eph_kay

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2010 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for eph_kaySend a Private Message to eph_kayDirect Link to This Post
I am sorry if it sounded like I was suggesting that he had to keep the 04 computer, that isn't what I meant, I have a series 3 running as a series 2.

And I had no idea that the Monte Carlo never had a series 3 motor, I guess we learn something new all the time.

So then fastback88, if you are going to keep that transmission keep with that computer, killing the torque converter clutch switch isn't a happy day, and having to replace it is a worse...

Chris
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2010 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Just for info the 3800SC series II was used by GM until 2005 on the Chevrolet Impala , Bonneville and Park Avenue. The PCMs on those engines were the same as the ones used on the 3800 GTP 03. You wil need that PCM if you are using a 03-up 4T65eHD trans. With the 98-02 autos you can use an earlier yr PCM.
Any series III engine can be run using series II engine management as long as you bolt on the cable operated TB, sensors required and program the PCM accordingly. If you do it the way I did it using the larger (non 3800) N* TB, & LS1 MAF sensors; be prepared to do allot of reprogramming. If you take this route, send me a PM and if you are doing the programing yourself, I'll guide you through the process.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock