Modular engines. by Hockaday
Started on: 05-16-2010 07:59 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Hockaday on 06-22-2010 11:30 AM
Hockaday

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
has anyone attempted to install any of the modular engines? are they advantages to the northstar in anyway:

------------------
Cliff's 610th Positive Feedback Giver.
#12 NYFOC Membe

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Isolde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
Ford Modulars? We had a discussion on those not a year ago. I nearly tried it. Way more cams available for the Fords than the Caddies. Way more forged pistons, too. Ford also has the advantage of not needing heli-coiled head bolt holes. But the Cad bolts right up to Fiero trannies, the Ford would need a custom adapter plate. And then there's the flywheel issue, the starter issue, and so on.
larini74

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for larini74Click Here to visit larini74's HomePageSend a Private Message to larini74Direct Link to This Post
If I remember correctly, Ford and GM went in together on the 6spd auto tranny design that they are both using now.
It would be neat if they used the same bolt patterns, then a SHO engine could be bolted to it.....
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2010 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
bump
topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2010 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post
Only adavantage is a bigger aftermarket. These things are huge, externally larger than a Northstar and slightly heavier. Northstars like to pull the threads out of the blocks, modular engines like to break off the spark plugs in the heads, ever have to fix one of those? Ugg, at least there is a special tool for that now. Timing chains like to stretch at 180k or so and it is an interfence fit engine. Those are just the big ones, I regularly see them with spun bearings, though those mostly have higher mileage. They do eat coils and maf sensors from time to time. But they are awesome engines and can pull a heavy truck or Lincoln around quite nicely, probably be a riot in a Fiero

[This message has been edited by topher_time (edited 06-22-2010).]

Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2010 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
interesting...i'm looking for a nice high reving engine..with rather large displacement.
LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2010 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroDirect Link to This Post
A SOHC 4.6l is wide. It would be a tight fit in a Fiero. Pretty much no chance of a DOHC 4.6 or any 5.4

Here is a SOHC 4.6

And here is a 5.4
I wish I could get to it to get a picture of it next to the Fiero to give you an idea of how huge it is

[This message has been edited by LitebulbwithaFiero (edited 06-22-2010).]

Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2010 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
isn't the northstar 4.6 dohc?

Also..are there any high reving big displacement engines...i would assume they'd have to be dohc or sohc but maybe some prs are fairly high revving stock
topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2010 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post
Yup, the Northstar is a 4.6 dohc.

What would you consider high reving? Toyota 1UZFE can rev around 8000 rpm with lots of mods, though it is only 4.0 but you can get to around 5.0, the Infiniti V8 is 4.5 and can rev to damn near 9000 after mods. Though it will seriously reduce engine life. Big displacement and high revs just don't go hand in hand.

[This message has been edited by topher_time (edited 06-22-2010).]

Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2010 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
yeah, seems the northstar would be the simplest thing, i still might go with a sbc ( have to ride and maybe drive if so permited to truely decide ). my dream for this car is to have a decently high reving engine with twin turbos to get a bit of an exotic feeling, as my dad would say '' yeah sbc have that muscle car feeling, lots of low end torque which will get you off the line, but high reving dohc engines just keep going and going and going, they just don't stop '' ( with in reason )

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock