Started on: 05-15-2010 08:09 PM
Replies: 24
Last post by: Spoon on 05-19-2010 11:22 PM
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2010 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/1740492409.html and http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...aBQ3aSRCHQ3aUSQ3a101

Wow, that looks nice. He is asking a lot ($25K!) but it does look nice.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2010 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
That is a very nice Indy, but it is not $25,000 nice.
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2010 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
If that scoop is what I think it is, there are only 2 that I know of. I happen to have one. Joe Huffaker sold one a few years ago. The on in the picture may be it. It was intended for the SD4 IMSA racecar (not street version) but was never used. IMSA would not allow them to race with it. Therefore, the only ones that exist are prototypes that were made before Pontiac knew that they would not be allowed to race with them.

------------------
Paul

My IMSA Build: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/789315
HHP Adjustable Sway Bars: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/036556.html

2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2010 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post
I thought the pace cars all had SE quarter windows?
FieroMonkey

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2010 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2farnorth:

I thought the pace cars all had SE quarter windows?

negative. they were all blanks.

If this car had the correct centerlines, centerline covers, strobe scoop and white aero trim and door decals, then it might grab the asking price.

Still a nice SD4 Indy though. If I didn't already have one I might try to haggle with the owner for it.

I could be wrong, but it looks like the tranny is an Isuzu 5-speed. That would worry me if the HP claims are accurate on the motor. Mine has a getrag and even still I try not to drop the hammer on it too often.

Paul, interesting scoop history on this car. I think I have seen old pics of the one they used for some photo ops i believe. I didn't know any others were out there. very rare part.

------------------

[This message has been edited by FieroMonkey (edited 05-15-2010).]

FirstDrCar

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2010 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirstDrCarSend a Private Message to FirstDrCarDirect Link to This Post
I saw this ad too, and all I could think was, "Why do I not have the money and luxury to afford such a ride?" And then reality set in...
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by R Runner:

If that scoop is what I think it is, there are only 2 that I know of. I happen to have one. Joe Huffaker sold one a few years ago. The on in the picture may be it. It was intended for the SD4 IMSA racecar (not street version) but was never used. IMSA would not allow them to race with it. Therefore, the only ones that exist are prototypes that were made before Pontiac knew that they would not be allowed to race with them.

DGP advertised that scoop as well. I believe they may have sold a couple of them. There was a black Fiero race car for sale a number of years back that had one. If I recall the race car was in or had raced in Puerto Rico (???) Unless they modified one to match the pictures.

The original DGP flyer had it on the car in the picture. I never saw that style of the scoop again. It was never noted in the IRM catalogs after IRM bought the molds from DGP.
I use to have the original DGP catalog and flyers that they advertised thru Pontiac dealerships back in the 86/87 time frame.

Here is a old/bad copy of the original DGP flyer:

You can see the scoop on the middle picture. I believe the car was the orginal DGP demo car. The lower half was a metalic blue/gray, the side molding was painted red and the top was pearl white. When everything was sold to IRM I think the scoop was changed on the car to the regular one. There are also demo pics of the car without any scoop as well.

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

ZZ4 Powered !!

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 05-16-2010).]

hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
I assume he or someone built this when most the parts were available. That makes me wonder why if he was making a copy that he did not get the correct parts like the scoope, and right size wheels.

I am sure there must be some reason but to get so close and just miss on a couple things make me wonder.

That and $25K is just a bit much for this car. When some of the GM show cars sold for much less that kind of puts the market value into perspective.

Nice car just not $25K nice.

MRJ

Feedback score:    (36)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MRJClick Here to visit MRJ's HomePageSend a Private Message to MRJDirect Link to This Post
Interesting scoop indeed!! I have one anyone interested? PM or email me!

Matt Jackson

------------------
MRJ

R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MRJ:

Interesting scoop indeed!! I have one anyone interested? PM or email me!

Matt Jackson

Are you the one who purchased the scoop from Huffaker?

Does anyone know if the scoop with the "box" at the bottom of it (the one we are talking about) was available through DGP or was it just in the picture? BTW, the scoop does not work. The "box" portion was intended to funnel pressurized air to the upstanding air intake/filter for the SD4. It is my understanding from John C. and Paul V. that it did not work that well. I found this out while doing my reasearch for my IMSA scoop. The piece shown is simply a really nice piece of history. If anyone wants to see one at the Tyler Shipman Show, I'll bring it along. The one I have is a confirmed DGP race prototype. Very interesting construction and super thin.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-16-2010 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
Uber cool read! Did I just say uber? I will go shoot myself in the head now.

But, really. R Runner, would you post a pic of your scoop? How cool to have history like that. And the pics that Oreif and MRJ posted, just too cool. It is nice to see the word "rare" in a thread, and actually mean it. Gives me goose bumps.
PFF
System Bot
FieroMonkey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyDirect Link to This Post
I did a little digging in some of my DGP stuff and found this

FieroMonkey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyDirect Link to This Post

FieroMonkey

3294 posts
Member since Nov 2002
Here is another. Interestingly enough on the SD4 Prototype, it looks like the front base of the scoop was completely open

------------------

faalvino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faalvinoSend a Private Message to faalvinoDirect Link to This Post
wow I love this thread, so interesting
MRJ

Feedback score:    (36)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MRJClick Here to visit MRJ's HomePageSend a Private Message to MRJDirect Link to This Post
Well I purchased mine from mrfiero out of Colorado who pulled it off of a parts car in the junk yard. I have attached some better pictures of it. I do not have it installed on a car.

R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
I am wondering if DGP made this scoop for a shot time in about late 1983 and early 84. After the pace car came out in May I would think that most cars used that type of scoop since even the SD4 no longer used it. Very interesting. For sure they are rare. There may be others but I only know of 2 that are from the race program. I am not sure what happened to the others that are pictured in ads and promos. Here is mine. Looks like the others posted.

It looks like there are more out there than the few I know about which makes me wonder in what time period these street versions were sold.
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post

R Runner

3678 posts
Member since Feb 2003
Yes, the base of the scoop is completely open. One thing to note that is pretty cool is the lip around the edge. Many racing scoops are like ths but ones for "looks" may not be. Conventional wisdom would say that the scoop should have the largest cross sectional area possible to allow the most ram-air effect. This is only partialy true. Once pressure builds up in the scoop it wants to get out. One way is to enter the engine, the other way is to "over flow" the front of the scoop which then stars to divert air away. The "lip" around the edge is to help control this. It keeps the air from wanting to escape back around the side walls.
I know they work well when applied correctly. My IMSA had a loose "A" on the "PONTIAC" of the windshield. Note that this is NOT in line with the scoop. As you may know, my scoop is functional and designed with guidence from John Callies and Paul Vanderley. John told me the key points they learned in the wind tunnel and Paul told me what to do with the air once it entered the scoop. What I came up with was a 2 to 1 ratio scoop to ram air into the carb with out running it lean. Anyway, one day the loose "A" came off while driving. I found it in the air filter! That "A" is CLEARLY out side of the scoop intake area (or so I thought). I thought it was amazing. I said... "Yep. Scoop works."

I know, off topic.
Thought I would share.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
I had never really noticed on other SD engines. Is it common to use a V8 distributor hooking up plug wires to ever other socket? I know it's basicallt a V8 cut in half but I find that interesting. If you go to pictures, the last one in the listing shows it clearly.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 05-16-2010).]

FieroMonkey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 02:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyDirect Link to This Post
Both of the Super Duty's I have are running MSD distributor setups which are pretty much like you said, a V8 distibutor with four of the holes on the cap sealed shut. Not surprising since the basis of the design for the duke and SD4 are pretty much a V8 cut in half
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by R Runner:

I am wondering if DGP made this scoop for a shot time in about late 1983 and early 84. After the pace car came out in May I would think that most cars used that type of scoop since even the SD4 no longer used it. Very interesting. For sure they are rare. There may be others but I only know of 2 that are from the race program. I am not sure what happened to the others that are pictured in ads and promos. It looks like there are more out there than the few I know about which makes me wonder in what time period these street versions were sold.

I can tell you that in August of 1986 you were still able to order that scoop from DGP. I bought my Fiero in May of 1986 and use to get all the aftermarket Fiero catalogs and flyers from friends at the dealership that I bought the car from. If I recall the one with the air cleaner box was intended to be used with the IMSA body kit and the one used on the Pace car was the one they intended to be used with the production Fiero's as these were designed to not be functional and flip-up to open the decklid.
David DeVoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David DeVoeSend a Private Message to David DeVoeDirect Link to This Post
I've seen this car in person, in fact I was in his garage on Easter sunday, and the car is just as nice as it looks in the pictures. It looks like a brand new car. He also has a De Tomaso Panters, and a Lamborghini in the same garage. Both I think are for sale, and both are pristine. I drooled on the Pantera and considered the balance in my 401.
PFF
System Bot
FieroMonkey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyDirect Link to This Post
with that kind of cash in his garage he probably wont move much on the price of this Indy.

Would be nice to get a look at his Pantera and Lambo as well.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-17-2010 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
Just cool info. Thanks to all. I did not thank FieroMonkey for posting up his info, so thanks! A great read...
Sharkbyte

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2010 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkbyteSend a Private Message to SharkbyteDirect Link to This Post
PM'd MRJ
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2010 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMonkey:

Both of the Super Duty's I have are running MSD distributor setups which are pretty much like you said, a V8 distibutor with four of the holes on the cap sealed shut. Not surprising since the basis of the design for the duke and SD4 are pretty much a V8 cut in half

I was wondering about that 8 cyl distributer too. Something like this croped up with Pontiac in the early 60's when they cut the head off of a v8 & called it a 4 cylinder.
Engineers............They love to keep you guessing.

Spoon

------------------
Two yeast spent their entire life "about 2 days" discussing what the purpose of life could be and not once did they even come close to the fact that they were making champagne. Quoted by: Unknown

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock