4.9 Turbo? by chadwilkins
Started on: 05-14-2010 06:39 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: nitroheadz28 on 05-19-2010 02:03 AM
chadwilkins

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-14-2010 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chadwilkinsSend a Private Message to chadwilkinsDirect Link to This Post
Hey all, probably stupid question, I know.. I have a gentleman going to put a 4.9 into my fiero. Now, I am considering putting a small turbo in at the same time, if do-able (I THINK this seems decent priced, no?- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...&hash=item3efb5a07de ) Now, question is- is this going to blow up? Is it worth the price listed? sorry for the (im sure) noob question..
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2010 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
Ugh... Another no name ebay turbo kit.. You'd want to stay away from those, the turbos will fall apart pretty soon, and in general a lot of the parts included suck. Maybe you can have a half decent kit if you replaced the original impellor/compressor with genuine Garrett parts, since that kit is a knock off. Then there the issue of the whole housing failing which I've heard about happening. Also, you'd never want to have your heat exchanger piping held on with silicone couplers like they have in the kit, just a recipe for failure.

I'd be very weary, I've read to avoid those kits at all costs all over the internet. Either way, you'll be dumping a lot more than just the price of that kit on it just to get it to work properly and not blow up.

Cheers, Tom.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2010 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post
First, figure out how you're going to address the timing and fueling.
SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2010 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTDirect Link to This Post
First off, let me welcome you to the forum... Now, noobie questions are understandable, we all asked them... Do a search for "4.9 Turbo" you will find a thread by "her86" I believe... Her husband PBJ, is the 4.9turbo authority around here... lots of information in that build thread.. good luck. This is somethinf that interest me because I have the 4.9 already.

------------------
SMTHGT.....
Aka. "SmoothGT"
1987 GT 4.9L~V8~4T60E
(Un.Su.)

cooguyfish

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2010 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cooguyfishSend a Private Message to cooguyfishDirect Link to This Post
worst case scenario, you can piece together your own turbo kit.

I had a saturn I turbo'd and although crude, I was recommended to a very simple system, so simple the brand was SDS, "Simple Digital Systems" extra injector controller. How it worked was, the stock computer was happy running like it was stock, and then you had an extra 1-4 injectors (mine were located by the throttle body). the extra injectors have to settings, when the injectors start spraying, and how much. With a wideband O2 sensor, you could have it tuned pretty darn easy.

I only ran 4 PSI but it was fantastic for a beginner. The slightly more difficult setup, would be something like a megasquirt, which I know very little about. I do know it's simple to build, all open source, has a big following, and can control both fuel and spark like an aftermarket stand alone system.

putting together your own turbo kit is not hard, you just need to learn what you are doing\looking for in certain parts.

DO NOT cheap out on the turbo or wastegate. Used turbo's can be fine if the have no shaft play and spin freely, but know up front, if you get a turbo and it needs rebuilt, it is not cheap at ALL.

Also, I would start out very low on boost, like 4-6 PSI. My saturn was on 4 after a broken wastegate blew up my first engine. On 4 PSI my stock fuel system was enough to run it, it was too lean but not lean enough to do engine damage, just lean enough that you could feel it didn't have enough power. By doing it starting out on low boost you can get a feel for tuning and make sure everything is set up properly and move up to 6-10 PSI later. Build your kit with whatever PSI level you want in mind first, but start with a smaller wastegate spring and move up from there.

------------------
The List;
1) 98 Jetta TDI (55+ MPG) 2) 95 BMW 325i 5 spd (Wife's car) 3) 82 Chevy Scottsdale 6.2 (tow duty)
4) 87 Fiero 3800 S1 S/C 5spd (almost road ready) 5) 85 S10 diesel 5spd (engine donor) 6) 84 S10 (receiver) 7) 84 S10 2.5 5spd (parts)
8) 87 GMC S15 2.8 5spd parts truck 9) 91 Mercedes 190E (diesel 5spd swap) 10) 84 Mercedes 190D (donor) 11) 85 Fiero (parts)
12) 85 Fiero SE (7730 ecm, 3500) 13) 87 GT (7730 ecm, hybrid 2800, izusu 5spd swap soon)

chadwilkins

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-14-2010 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chadwilkinsSend a Private Message to chadwilkinsDirect Link to This Post
Ahhhh helpful information, thanks all.. I will research the turbo more thoroughly. My main question (I am NOT amotor head, i know forgive me) is- is the alum. block a problem with boost?
chadwilkins

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-14-2010 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chadwilkinsSend a Private Message to chadwilkinsDirect Link to This Post

chadwilkins

74 posts
Member since Mar 2010

Originally posted by SMTHGT:

First off, let me welcome you to the forum... Now, noobie questions are understandable, we all asked them... Do a search for "4.9 Turbo" you will find a thread by "her86" I believe... Her husband PBJ, is the 4.9turbo authority around here... lots of information in that build thread.. good luck. This is somethinf that interest me because I have the 4.9 already.

Hmm, still working on the search, but nothings coming up for that right now, Ill keep looking for sure though!
SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2010 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTDirect Link to This Post
nope, not a problem....
cooguyfish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2010 02:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cooguyfishSend a Private Message to cooguyfishDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chadwilkins:

Ahhhh helpful information, thanks all.. I will research the turbo more thoroughly. My main question (I am NOT amotor head, i know forgive me) is- is the alum. block a problem with boost?

No, most cars today have aluminum blocks and heads, and a lot of cars run boost from the factory. Sometimes, a manufacturer will switch to an iron block on a factory boosted car, but there are definitely boosted aluminum ones.
chadwilkins

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-15-2010 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chadwilkinsSend a Private Message to chadwilkinsDirect Link to This Post
fantastic! thanks so much all.. time to do more research.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I like your thinking don't hold back. The ebay kit isn't as bad as people will say it is actually not bad value if anything blows replace that part with a better and back to it. Just don't think it will be everything you need or need to do. Eg manifold mods etc. You could buy the brands of everything you like and pay 4 x the price and get a much better quaility all out but it will be the engine that will blow not the turbo setup as this kit will deliver the pressures and can be installed doesnt cost the earth and you will have bits you choose to upgrade at first sight the turbo itself isnt that bad. If you plan on dragging it regularly buy the good stuff in bits and dont worry about the kit . If your using it for show street use then it will seriously add more power that you will ever need to boost too.
cooguyfish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2010 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cooguyfishSend a Private Message to cooguyfishDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

I like your thinking don't hold back. The ebay kit isn't as bad as people will say it is actually not bad value if anything blows replace that part with a better and back to it. Just don't think it will be everything you need or need to do.

Let me stop you right there. I bet you have never had a turbo car or had/seen one with a failure have you? You do realize it's possible for a turbo to "come apart" right? by that I mean I've heard of cheapo turbos literally breaking apart at the fins, which then get pushed sucked into the engine and scratch, dent, tear all kinds of things apart internally, like, pistons, and intakes, and cylinder heads.

I've personally had a wastegate failure, where it got stock in a semi open position, it was enough that by the time I realized it I had put over 25 PSI through and engine tuned for 9, and known to break in the 12-15 range. 3 piston's, 1 cylinder head, and a brand new garret turbo later, ($1500 worth of damage) I was back on the road, O, and I still had to spend $250 buying a quality wastegate so it wouldn't happen again.

AGAIN, DON'T cheap out on certain parts. DON'T buy that crappy ebay turbo kit. I have literally seen one of those turbo's come apart within 50 miles of being installed.

do it right, or do it twice (or three times) but the second time you'll more than likely be putting in a second engine with it.
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2010 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
^ Exactly my point.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock