Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Cat needed on 25 year old vehicle in Texas?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Cat needed on 25 year old vehicle in Texas? by flimbob
Started on: 05-13-2010 04:01 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: starlightcoupe on 05-13-2010 07:31 PM
flimbob

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flimbobSend a Private Message to flimbobDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have experience with inspection without a cat on a 25 year old car? I got my 86 inspected yesterday and was told from now on I'm not required to have emissions tests. My 3500 swap is picking up steam and I would like to go with a dual exhaust system. Obviously, I don't want to fork out the bucks to get 2 cats, especially if they are not needed for inspection. No cats would also free up valuable space. Any thoughts or experiences?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by flimbob:

Anyone have experience with inspection without a cat on a 25 year old car? I got my 86 inspected yesterday and was told from now on I'm not required to have emissions tests. My 3500 swap is picking up steam and I would like to go with a dual exhaust system. Obviously, I don't want to fork out the bucks to get 2 cats, especially if they are not needed for inspection. No cats would also free up valuable space. Any thoughts or experiences?

While there will be no more emmisions but you will still need the CATs to pass the visual inspection. Luckly I have a place that does not do much of a visual as I have not ran a CAT on my car in many many years. Of course I am not in an emmisions county either so that exempts me from the smog test.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
/\
What he said. Most places look for it with a mirror, the place I use doesn't give the underside much more than a glance even tho I do have cats on all 3 of my Fieros. The closer you are to a city, the worse the inspectors are.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Not that I would advocate breaking the law, but what if you found the smallest cats (the cheaper the better of course) and hollowed them out? If all they're checking is visual, they wouldn't know the difference.
Egor

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EgorSend a Private Message to EgorDirect Link to This Post
The last time I had mine inspected, the guy pointed at the front hood and said to open it.

I did, he looked very surprised, then very puzzled. He looked around to see it anyone else was looking at him, then asked me to close the hood.

He didn't look at anything else! Just stuck the little sticker on the window and said it passed.

He never found the engine.

Egor.

------------------

starlightcoupe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Egor:

The last time I had mine inspected, the guy pointed at the front hood and said to open it.

I did, he looked very surprised, then very puzzled. He looked around to see it anyone else was looking at him, then asked me to close the hood.

He didn't look at anything else! Just stuck the little sticker on the window and said it passed.

He never found the engine.

Egor.

I laughed out loud at your post. I read the more serious posts and nodded in agreement because I'll have the same problem when we move to Oregon and then read about your experience and nearly spewed Pepsi on my keyboard.

My wife and I just got back from visiting my uncle and cousin in Port Arthur/Port Neches. My cousin lives close to Highway 69 and my uncle lives on 66th Street off Jade.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock