Harbor Freight powder coater, have one? by DLCLK87GT
Started on: 05-13-2010 01:21 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: Birddogg1 on 05-13-2010 11:23 PM
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
I need to get some parts powdercoated and was thinking about getting a HF unit so i can do it all myself. Anybody have one or ever use one?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Boogaloo

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooDirect Link to This Post
for several years and it does a great job as long as the prep work is done right ,after a few use you will get the hang of it.
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
so it's worth the $60 then? Assuming i get it this weekend, any tips for a virgin coater?
Terry_w

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Terry_wClick Here to Email Terry_wSend a Private Message to Terry_wDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:

so it's worth the $60 then? Assuming i get it this weekend, any tips for a virgin coater?

Sounds like a interesting profession coating virgins
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
Ya, it has it's ups and downs.
Boogaloo

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooDirect Link to This Post
Just do a search on the internet (google) it will provide lots of information .
DanFiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroClick Here to Email DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroDirect Link to This Post

Hope you have an oven designated just for curing powder coat. Don't use the one in your kitchen it will ruin it unless you want all future food to taste of powder coat. No experience, just the one rule I've heard numerous times to make me believe it is true.

Dan

DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DanFiero:
Don't use the one in your kitchen it will ruin it unless you want all future food to taste of powder coat.
Dan

That might be an improvment HA!
87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziClick Here to Email 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post

That might be an improvment HA!

LOL. im so telling your wife/and or girlfriend.
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaClick Here to Email jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Ya, it has it's ups and downs.

...and it's in and outs.

Jim

JPH87

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Click Here to Email JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Direct Link to This Post
Get a large cardboard box cut the front out so you can put the parts in there to shoot them. You must have an oven and not in your house. Read the label on the color you choose some are cooked at different temps and times. The HF gun works pretty good I have done all my A arms and things. Good Luck
PFF
System Bot
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaClick Here to Email Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
I bought my gun and their oven about 5 yrs ago. I wish I could have more parts to coat. I love when they come out of the oven. Just as good as warm apple pie A key item is to have proper plugs and tape to cover threaded holes atc. and anywhere you don't want it to be coated. Coating is very easy. A key item is to have the air gun pressure right. If it is ok then the rest is easy. I buy my powder and supplies here: http://www.pendrypowdercoatings.com
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
If you're doing really small parts, you can use a toaster oven. Otherwise start checking garage sales.
blkcofy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blkcofySend a Private Message to blkcofyDirect Link to This Post
I powder coated all of my control arms and joints, but I used a huge commercial oven from a local DIY garage. They had a media blaster to get down to the bare metal. It was fun as hell, and very easy if you follow directions. It's addictive, as I was looking for anything I could find not the car to powder coat.

I have a question though...this DIY garage shut down and I too have heard that you never want to use your in-home oven. I've seen some car part magazines that say you can cure with high amp heated lights. Is this true? It doesn't seem like they'd generate enough heat.

blkcofy

[This message has been edited by blkcofy (edited 05-13-2010).]

Birddogg1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Birddogg1Click Here to Email Birddogg1Send a Private Message to Birddogg1Direct Link to This Post
A friend of mine has a setup from Eastwood. It works well but I don't trust him to do anything for me because he is too much of a slob. The end result of anything is based on preparation. He half a$$es his way through everything in life and the quality of the finish reflects that. He'll spend all the time to sandblast something only to handle it with greasy hands, contaminating everything in the oven and getting poor adhesion and coverage.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock