Is this a scam? by McCool
Started on: 05-10-2010 07:34 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: Mickey_Moose on 05-11-2010 02:40 PM
McCool

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for McCoolSend a Private Message to McCoolDirect Link to This Post
I was looking around auto-trader for a truck the other day and every time I am on there I always end up searching for Fiero's just in case there is one I like for sale, and the other day I did my search and this one came up:
http://www.autotrader.ca/us...315&prv=Alberta&r=20

Long story short is this is the Fiero of my dreams, it is listed as being in my city and for the amazing price of $6,700. So I emailed the guy and asked if I could set up a time to come a take a look at the car. He emails me back and says that the car is not in Edmonton but rather in Halifax (the other side of Canada) and that he is currently in London U.K. but the price includes shipping to me.

A few things stirred up my $*** detector and I was wondering what you guys think. Why would he list the car as being in Edmonton when it is in Halifax and If the car is in Halifax how come the pictures he has posted of the car are clearly not taken anywhere in Canada (we don't have palm trees). Also it seems hard to believe that anyone who has done the amount of mods to the car as this guys has would typically be a forum member which he says he is not.

He wants to do the purchase through E-bay which sounds alright except I personally have been screwed in the past buying this from e-bay and e-bay didn't help me at all. So putting 6,700 bucks on the line seems a bit risky.

Am I crazy or does anyone else think this is a little weird?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
buds

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post
SCAM Steer clear of that one...Palm trees are a dead givaway as well as going through ebay.....
FieroMontreal

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealDirect Link to This Post
I've seen several scams like that here in Montreal on sites like Kijiji, craiglist and lespacs. I would be very careful and honestly I would not go for it unless the guy was here in canada and so was the car. I'd ask for a crazy amount of proof, pictures and I would not transfer the funds anywhere outside where he is located (and honestly I would probably go down and pick it up and pay in person!).

It's way too easy to run with the money in this case and honestly for a Canadian car with all the stuff it has the price is too good to be true. Keep in Mind shipping from HALIFAX to Edmonton is probably over $1000.00 cad.

I'm in Montreal and I've imported cars from Oregon, Idaho, NY and Japan. Even when you know what you are looking for it's easy to get scammed. I was lucky and always got what I was expecting but the sellers were also willingto bend over backwords to give me what I wanted.. like a picture of them with the car, specific parts and specific paperwork including the car in the picture etc. You can also ask for a copy of the title, many personal information that you can then google and run checks on the people etc.

[This message has been edited by FieroMontreal (edited 05-10-2010).]

Philero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhileroSend a Private Message to PhileroDirect Link to This Post
Wow, I can't say that it is a scam, (even though it has thrown up all of the indicators and red flags that it is) but if it is a scam, the person putting the ad up sure put a lot of thought into it by listing so many niche names and brands. $6700 is a lot to part with, but OMG, if this is for real... what a deal! An 88 GT T-top with a LS1 Conversion = my dream car... and it sounds like it is your's too... I would procede with caution, but I would still proceed.

I know this did not help much, but either way you go, I wish you the best of luck!

Cheers

------------------
Phil
Always trying to create something new!
'88 SE
'86 GT
'87 GT Extreme body mod and 2.8L Turbo Propane powered (in the garage and getting closer to being completed)

DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Direct Link to This Post
Cash when the car is delivered or picked up is the only way i would think about buying it. It's is a good buy if it's for real. Proceed with cation.
Rolling Thunder

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buds:

SCAM Steer clear of that one...Palm trees are a dead givaway as well as going through ebay.....

They're obviously a product of global warming

[This message has been edited by Rolling Thunder (edited 05-10-2010).]

McCool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for McCoolSend a Private Message to McCoolDirect Link to This Post
Damnit I want that car so bad. Scam artists know my weakness... 88 GT's with T-Tops... oh well, it's white, the worst colour for a car.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
He is right about the Quad 4 Getrags that were in GA.
I remember when they were posted here. (Pontiac Jeff was the seller.)
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
Escrow.com
I think this would scare off any scammers, as they don't get their money until you release it to them.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Want the car that badly then offer to go to Nova Scotia to pick it up or go there and arrange shipment. How the seller responds to the question will tell you loads about the deal being legitimate or not.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post
Maybe that palm tree is a plastic one like I've seen in some stores.. ???

Get the vin # & do a carfax. See where its been lately.

Spoon

------------------
Two yeast spent their entire life "about 2 days" discussing what the purpose of life could be and not once did they even come close to the fact that they were making champagne. Quoted by: Unknown

PFF
System Bot
hinesb1890

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2010 02:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hinesb1890Click Here to visit hinesb1890's HomePageSend a Private Message to hinesb1890Direct Link to This Post
Its a scam, I've looked at other cars that say the same thing where they want to pay through ebay. The problem is ebay will only guarantee the transaction if the car is actually sold on ebay, otherwise you can pay and never hear from the seller again.

------------------

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2010 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Buy the same car in Ottawa for $1700 less!

http://www.buysell.com/root...k=1988+Domestic+Cars

or how about West Vancouver for $6700 ??
http://www.buysell.com/root...k=1988+Domestic+Cars

If you do a search for "1988 Fiero GT" "LS1 V-8" and the "not your grandpa's Fiero" in google you will get multiple ads from various areas with the same car. I bet if you can get the VIN number you will find the original real ad. Also I would Email or PM Archie and he can tell you who owned the car and where it was from if he did in fact install the LS1. Archie keeps records of all his customers. I bet the "first LS1" even has a thread on here somewhere.

It's a SCAM!
couldahadaV8

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2010 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for couldahadaV8Click Here to visit couldahadaV8's HomePageSend a Private Message to couldahadaV8Direct Link to This Post
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2010 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
I would never buy anything from a guy at London U.K. That is the same guy that just arrived from Nigeria. :O
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2010 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
SCAM SCAM SCAM!!!! RUN WILL ROBINSON RUN. I've seen that same scam several times. all the red flags are there, palm trees in Canada, going through EBay, cost includes shipping, car located somewhere other than where add was placed and I also look for no plates or inspection stickers indicating what state it's in, dead giveaway. Almost always you'll get back a BS story from the poster. I've gotten death in family, death of husband was his car, in military. Some of the crap people try and pull makes me sick. One thing you can do is take off the milage restriction on the search and more times than not it'll show up in several states. if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
bsinnest

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2010 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bsinnestSend a Private Message to bsinnestDirect Link to This Post
Hey,

A friend and I almost got into a scam like this just last fall. He was looking for a BMW on kijiji. Found one and emailed the guy. He claimed he was in the UK and insisted on using ebay to transfer the money. He didn't give a whole lot of info about the vehicle (sort of beat around the bush with details). My friend almost went for it, until my father suggested asking the guy for the VIN number on the vehicle and the address where it is located so we could have the RCMP go check out the car.

That was the last we heard from the guy.

Brian
McCool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2010 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for McCoolSend a Private Message to McCoolDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, I was hoping it was real but what do they say about things that seem to good to be true...

Just throwing it out there, anyone selling an 88 GT near Edmonton, AB?
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2010 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by McCool:

Thanks guys, I was hoping it was real but what do they say about things that seem to good to be true...

Just throwing it out there, anyone selling an 88 GT near Edmonton, AB?

...yes, I have seen that scam on other cars as well - car always located someplace else and the owner is over seas.

Anyways, there was a couple of 88 GT's for sale not that long ago in Edmonton, 1 I know has been sold, not sure of the other one (was in Devon) - best to keep a watch in the usual place and keep in eye on the Edmonton (www.edmontonfieros.com) and the Calgary (www.calgaryfieros.com) Fiero club's web site.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock