Fiero Smell??? by TKDchamp
Started on: 05-07-2010 10:52 PM
Replies: 38
Last post by: RedlinePlus on 05-10-2010 09:41 PM
TKDchamp

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2010 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKDchampSend a Private Message to TKDchampDirect Link to This Post
My wife says Fieros all smell the same. I've never really thought about it, but I guess they do have a certain smell.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rolling Thunder

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2010 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post
I love the smell of Fiero in the morning.

(Someone photoshop a Fiero in that)
Birddogg1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2010 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Birddogg1Send a Private Message to Birddogg1Direct Link to This Post
My wife claims the same. I never noticed anything. She has at least 5 air fresheners in her car. Mine has a slight exhaust leak that makes her sick when the roof is open. My dad's leaks a tiny bit of antifreeze from the heater core. That makes her sick. I don't know what it is about her car that she smells. There's nothing wrong with hers that I've found so I'm stumped.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2010 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Birddogg1:

My wife claims the same. .

The Fiero smell is awful. It is caused by the rotting cheap azz glue they used for the interior that has failed on 99.999% of all Fieros. Which is why the dash and console is pulling apart on 99.999% of all Fieros on the road. The only way to get rid of the smell is to replace your dash, console and door panels with stuff custom stuff or stuff from another car.

My GT lost the Fiero smell when I replaced the interior with all new stuff...of course now I have the formaldehyde smell...but the Fiero smell is gone.

katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2010 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rolling Thunder:

I love the smell of Fiero in the morning.

(Someone photoshop a Fiero in that)

If you squint really hard (and drink about 8 or 10 beers) you can make a Fiero out just through the smoke!

Is that Fiero I smell burning - sorry I had too!

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 05-08-2010).]

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2010 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post
katatak .... very funny ROFLMAO

------------------

http://www.blackwidowfiero.com

Rolling Thunder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2010 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

Is that Fiero I smell burning - sorry I had too!

I was resisting mentioning anything to do with fire
bowrapennocks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2010 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bowrapennocksDirect Link to This Post
From owning 5 Fieros, I have found four distinct smells

MOLD...we are in the Northwest
Perfume...to cover up everything
Old car smell, I guess from dirty carpets/seats
LEATHER...my t-top
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2010 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
The Fiero smell is what most cars with a lot of plastic on the inside smelled like in the 80's

Now the ones that smell different well that was up to the owners use or misuese.
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2010 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post
Am I the only one that loves that smell? It's almost as good to me as brewing coffee, kinda feels like home.
FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2010 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDDirect Link to This Post
My wife said the only time my fiero smelled good was after the leaves in the heater box cought on fire. I saved the car. now if I could just find some smell that would keep her out if it. ( that i can't smell )
PFF
System Bot
F355spider

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2010 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post
There like old people
Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2010 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyDirect Link to This Post

I Luv tha smell, of a Fiero doin burnouts! lol.

I dunno if all fieros have a "smell" and if its the same.. But my fiero definatly has its own oder inside the cabin..

[This message has been edited by Jonesy (edited 05-08-2010).]

Rolling Thunder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2010 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure that we could all agree that Fieros smell like one of the following, if not a combination:
1. burning oil
2. coolant
3. moldy interior
4. brake fluid
5. strong exhaust fumes
6. melting wires
7. fire
8. fail
9. win
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2010 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
I've always thought the "Fiero Smell" was a combination of mildew and gasoline. Deteriorating glue is an interesting addition...

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

Fiero1K

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2010 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1KSend a Private Message to Fiero1KDirect Link to This Post
I actually like the smell. Maybe sniffing that fiero glue has gotten to me....
Fiero Finale

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero FinaleSend a Private Message to Fiero FinaleDirect Link to This Post
It's funny you say that as I noticed a unique smell that reminded me of my past Fieros (I hadn't had one for a couple years till my latest that I got in January of this year).

------------------

1995 Pontiac Firebird - 3.4 V6 5-Speed (Engine outta commission awaiting V8/6-Speed swap someday), 93-97 to 98-02 Trans Am body conversion My Firebird's Cardomain Page
1988 Pontiac Fiero - 2.5 I4 5-Speed My Fiero's Cardomain Page

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
All three Fieros I own smell different. #011 smells like Mr. Mike's leather (which is the coolest out of the three); #015 smells like vinyl (due to the material used), and #020 smell like Corvette (due to the seats).
arte444

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Direct Link to This Post
I like the smell, its part of the fiero experience =)
MAD_DOG_LV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MAD_DOG_LVSend a Private Message to MAD_DOG_LVDirect Link to This Post
Why Chuck Noris afraid of the Fiero? because they SMELL

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
For the record: Neither of my Fieros have any noticeable interior aroma.
PFF
System Bot
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 30+mpg:

Lies, filthy lies.

Dakota Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dakota FieroSend a Private Message to Dakota FieroDirect Link to This Post
I have owned a 2 84's, 85Gt, 3 86'se's,1 88 coupe, and they all had that smell, even the 88 which was like brand new when I got it, only 60,000 miles, I have often wonderd what it was, and determind the one thing all my cars had in common was the same material on the seats, as I understand they no longer manufacture that stuff, wonder why?
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 30+mpg:

mine doesnt either lol. all of the interior is failing tho, so maybe the glue is all pretty much gone?

i guess it kinda smells like dog now...i take our Irish Setter for a ride every now and then so he gets outta the house sometimes lol
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
Mine used to smell like teen spirit....until I made my son shower!
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post

aaronkoch:Lies, filthy lies.

If the interior of one's Fiero has a smell, it's probably not the lies that are filthy.

pete 2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pete 2m4Send a Private Message to pete 2m4Direct Link to This Post
Mine smells like the 80s. I LLLOOOOVVVEEEE IIITTTTTTT!!!!!!!
Rolling Thunder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pete 2m4:

Mine smells like the 80s. I LLLOOOOVVVEEEE IIITTTTTTT!!!!!!!

Yea, 80's emissions regulations

Ok, I'm a bit of a hypocrite. My Fiero has been on jack stands for a year and I only remember going inside it once in the last six months. Plus, I don't remember the smell, but I imagine it has something to do with a leaky sunroof and mildew.
pete 2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pete 2m4Send a Private Message to pete 2m4Direct Link to This Post
mine also smells like an iron duke with bad breath!!!
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Two of mine smelled like that "new casette tape" smell. The other one, I forget what it smelled like...
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 03:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
Got rid of the "Fiero Smell" in mine when I rebuilt the entire car.

Replaced the headliner material and "glassed" the board: (discovered mold and smelly crumbling fiberglass under the rotting fabric)

Installed Mr. Mikes leather seats: (after steam cleaning the old foam underneath)

Installed new carpeting: (over the top of the old carpeting, *after* steam cleaning it and covering it in with baking soda for 2 days and vacuuming it all out)

Installed new door panel carpeting: (after removing the old stuff with brake cleaner, letting it all evaporate in the sun and liberally "glassing" a lot of the "cardboard")

Recovered the interior firewall panel with vinyl from Mr. Mike: (after a similar treatment that was done on the door panels)

Scrubbed EVERY plastic and vinyl part that was reused in the interior at least 2 times with soap and water, including the A & B pillar trim pieces, threshold trim, etc., (lots of "mung" on the backsides of those parts)

Disassembled and cleaned the HVAC ducts and the evaporator / heater core box.

Replaced the mold and mildew infested sun visors with Mr. Mikes leather ones.

Throughly cleaned and repainted the inside steel structures of both doors. Removed all the old grease from the window tracks and lock mechanism, (before painting), and applied new white lithium grease).

Replaced the rotting OEM steering wheel, (the outside leather looked good , but the thing stunk like hell..suspect it was whatever was inside it, plus old sweat and body oils from previous owner(s) saturated in the leather

Cleaned everything under the dash once I had it removed the first time, and sprayed Ozium odor eliminator into the insulation on the front bulkhead under the dash

Cleaned and scrubbed the entire length of the steel structure under the center console, (full of "mystery debris", dust, old coins, petrified food particles, etc.)

Replaced the ashtrays with new repro ones from Fiero Store

My car simply smells like new leather now, (from the Mr. Mikes seats).
PFF
System Bot
F355spider

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post
We all need Mr. Mike seats
kooljess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kooljessSend a Private Message to kooljessDirect Link to This Post
Mr. Mikes leather seats and my Jasmine air freshener....great combination....

------------------

http://members.cardomain.com/koolflip

carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
The interior of mine has the faint smell of antifreeze, recently replaced the heater core, mixed with somewhere around 100 different cardboard air fresheners used over the last 22 years...

The exterior smells like a Briggs&Stratton... need to do a tuneup
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post

Dakota Fiero:I have owned a 2 84's, 85Gt, 3 86'se's,1 88 coupe, and they all had that smell, even the 88 which was like brand new when I got it, only 60,000 miles, I have often wonderd what it was, and determind the one thing all my cars had in common was the same material on the seats, as I understand they no longer manufacture that stuff, wonder why?

If the fabric smells, check this out:

The darker areas on the panels' backsides are sweat stains from previous drivers.

carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
LOL... ewwww...
PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

The interior of mine has the faint smell of antifreeze, recently replaced the heater core, mixed with somewhere around 100 different cardboard air fresheners used over the last 22 years...

The exterior smells like a Briggs&Stratton... need to do a tuneup

It is a Briggs
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
Also, as our cars get older, I suspect that not many of them lead a sheltered life anymore. I still park my DD in my garage.

Parked outdoors, this will occur

Using a coat hanger

An inside shot before vacuuming

After vacuuming

Rotting debris may be what some incorrectly call a "Fiero smell".

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 05-10-2010).]

RedlinePlus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RedlinePlusSend a Private Message to RedlinePlusDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reminder, I know what I am doing tommorrow.....

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock