Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Decisions, decisions, DOHC vs L67... couple questions.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Decisions, decisions, DOHC vs L67... couple questions. by 86GTFastback
Started on: 05-05-2010 11:08 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: FIEROFLYER on 05-06-2010 12:27 PM
86GTFastback

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GTFastbackSend a Private Message to 86GTFastbackDirect Link to This Post
I didn't find this in my searches, and I have personally asked a very generic which one is better and got a "they are both good in the own right". Though, I am curious about a few things.

Which setup would yield faster 1/4 and 0-60? A fully tuned turbo 3.4 DOHC, or a tuned SC L67?
I know the DOHC has a mean power band. Also the L67 has some serious torque. I just haven't seen anyone put a turbo DOHC against a SC L67 yet. The SC L67 eats the DOHC hands down, but I would question both racing naturally aspirated. I figure if they are both "blown" (correct me if thats not the right term), it would even things up a bit.

Would it be worth it to de-supercharge a L67 and turbo charge it?
I prefer turbo's and I figure its already got the strong bottom end.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ckrummy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2010 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ckrummySend a Private Message to ckrummyDirect Link to This Post
Well they both have some advantages,

The 3.4 DOHC is easier and cheaper to build and rebuild, can rev like crazy, and have aluminum heads, plus they use the same motor mounts and is a direct bolt up, but there is a very little market for aftermarket cams and the "60degreeV6" engines have a tendency to randomly break with little warning.

The 3800 is a solid motor that will run forever (in stock form), I've personaly seen 350K on the odo, they are built to hold well over 400hp and have great documentation, but they are very expensive to rebuild, $1500+, and can easily chip a piston if spark knock is present.

I'm not sure if you are planning on turboing both of them or it your leaving the l67 super?

The 3800 would be your best bet if you are going to stay out of the bottom end and just add power.

A built up 3.4 would probably be a faster car, and cheaper to buy and upgrade. Plus it sounds more exotic.

Its up to you i'd go to pull-a-part or Pick-a-part etc. and find the best motor you can find and go with it.
Jarhead 2m4

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2010 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jarhead 2m4Click Here to visit Jarhead 2m4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jarhead 2m4Direct Link to This Post
After owning a DOHC I would not do the same. The 4.9 sounds like a better idea to me.
Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2010 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Both of the two engines are great. The 3.4 sounds good and has a high red line. The 3800SC is a monster but does not sound that good unless you get the small pully and drown out the crappy V6 sound with SC wine.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2010 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:
The 3800SC is a monster but does not sound that good unless you get the small pully and drown out the crappy V6 sound with SC wine.

That would be a matter of taste or what sound you're looking for but, we've all got opinions. Mine is no better than yours.

Ron
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2010 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
There have only been a handful of the 3.4TDC turbos done and at least 3 of them run getrags and one was running the 4T80. With these few examples, it is difficult for the vast majority of us to make an credible comparison between the two.

They both can be made to perform from a peak HP perspective and if you look at the 1/4 mile thread, they both have pushed fieros into the 11's with the getrag.

I think the ECM requires a little more work for a boosted 3.4TDC (2 of the getrag cars run a Haltec aftermarket ecm) vs. the 3800 which came in boosted form.
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2010 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
I would say a lot depends on the car, personally I prefer the 3800SC for its reliability, power and ease to work on in the car.
Now if I was to be building a kit car like a Ferrari or Lambo then I would most likely go with the 3.4 DOHC for its high revving abilities making it sound more like a real Ferrari or Lambo, plus with a stretched frame there is more room to fit the 3.4 DOHC and more room to work on it once it is installed. Dan

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock