Started on: 05-05-2010 07:42 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: katatak on 05-07-2010 12:25 AM
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Have you ever been on that long trip in your Fiero and hated how your forearm would "stick" to the console? Well I have and I hate it. I always carried a towel or a shirt to throw across the console to make things more comfortable. I have spent a lot of time thinking about building an arm rest that incorporated a cup holder but could never dream up something I liked. No matter what I did, the "Drinks" would be in the way of the my arm when going through the gears. I had decided to just find one of those console covers and be done with it. The only ones I could find were either vinyl or leather covered - same problem - arm sweats an sticks! So This afternoon, I decide to try and build my own arm rest. This was an easy project and would be a great one for anyone just starting in the fiberglass world.

First thing I did was take a spare console - you can use the existing one in your car but you will have to remove it from the car - I had a few spots that were warped so I had to do some repairs. I just used hot glue for this fix:

Next I used packing tape and covered the lower part of the console - I made sure that I extended it forward and aft to be sure I had a large enough area to work with. Once the console was covered, I cut my glass to the size I wanted. 1 layer of cloth, 2 layers of mat and 1 layer of cloth. I find that this gives it some good strength yet stays a little flexible. Using a 2" chip brush, I brushed on a layer of resin on the taped area of the console. Then laid down the 1st layer of cloth - wet it out, layed the 1st layer of mat - mixed some more resin and wet it out, layed the 2nd layer of mat and wet it out, layed the 2nd layer of cloth, mixed some more resin and wet it out. Then I used a roller to break up the air bubbles and smooth it out some. Then let it set up.

Once it was cured, I popped it off the console:

Then I trimmed it to size and sanded all the edges. I also sanded the surface inside and out. If you are using - off the shelf - resin, like form Lowes, AZ, etc. you want to sand the surface to remove any wax - if you leave wax, paint will not stick - nor will any adhesives.

Then I grabbed some left over headliner material and cut it to size:

Then I sprayed a layer of glue on the material and a layer on the glass and started fitting the material:

Test fit on my spare console:

And in my Formula:

I was a little worried that it would not fit well due to the extra material under the glass but found that it just made it fit nice and snug. I'll need to make a brown one for the Formula - this one will go in the XTC.I suppose you could use just about any material you could find. A leather one would be nice for show. I am not sure how the headliner material will hold up but it will be easy to swap out later on. Let me know what you think!

Pat

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 05-05-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzDirect Link to This Post
Pretty neat!
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
That looks really nice, Pat. Great job! But where is the cup holder?
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
She usually sits in the passenger seat Hulki! I have given up on having cup holders in my Fiero! I'm thinking of hanging a camel back from the coat hook.
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2010 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Very nice work - looks good!
SMTHGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2010 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

She usually sits in the passenger seat.

Thats Classic... I looks very nice Pat. I dont even have a console to cover..

------------------
SMTHGT.....
Aka. "SmoothGT"
1987 GT 4.9L~V8~4T60E
(Un.Su.)

starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2010 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post
Greeat idea! Great work too.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2010 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
I like it.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-06-2010 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

She usually sits in the passenger seat Hulki! I have given up on having cup holders in my Fiero! I'm thinking of hanging a camel back from the coat hook.

I am guessing the Wife does not read Pennock's? (You should have to come up here to Spokane, and clean the coffee off of my screen! I got some on there after reading this. )

Forgot to add......Saaweeeeeeet! The arm rest looks "right" in there. But, you don't need us to tell you that. (It does help though.)

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 05-06-2010).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2010 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

I am guessing the Wife does not read Pennock's? (You should have to come up here to Spokane, and clean the coffee off of my screen! I got some on there after reading this. )

Forgot to add......Saaweeeeeeet! The arm rest looks "right" in there. But, you don't need us to tell you that. (It does help though.)

You are 100% correct Tony. I would never post anything like that if I knew she would see it.........lol. I put about 80 miles on it today around town - 96* outside. Nice and cool and no sticky to the console all day - it works way better than I thought it would.

Thanks everyone for the positive comments.

Pat

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock