Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Fire extinguisher location? No, my Fiero is not a fire waiting to happen. (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Fire extinguisher location? No, my Fiero is not a fire waiting to happen. by White Spyder
Started on: 05-05-2010 05:41 PM
Replies: 42
Last post by: jconnor34 on 05-10-2010 12:45 AM
White Spyder

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White SpyderSend a Private Message to White SpyderDirect Link to This Post
At the cruise in this coming weekend there will be a NHRA inspector doing certifications This helps when you are getting insurance and in some cases is required to participate in shows. On of the items on the check list is a "readily accessible" fire extinguisher. To me that means in the cabin of the car.

Do you have an extinguisher in your car and if so where did you mount it? Extra points for photos!!!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
I found a rather nifty spot for mine......Behind the seat.
bakantor

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bakantorSend a Private Message to bakantorDirect Link to This Post
Not surprised they want an fire extinguisher. I've heard of things like this before and it is my understanding it must be in the cabin.

Since I'm only looking at Fieros right now and do not own one I can't comment for sure as to where the best spot would be. My initial thought would be behind the passenger seat. Is there room?

Can you use something like this? It's looks to be a good size...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BH1FX8
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
On the floor in a holding bracket in front of the drivers seat will work. I usually keep two fire extinguishers handy. One under the hood, one in the trunk and even sometimes one in the cabin. While my Fiero is buit right and the risk of fire may be low; better safe than sorry.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
awestfield

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for awestfieldClick Here to visit awestfield's HomePageSend a Private Message to awestfieldDirect Link to This Post
hey guys here's the link to the one that i sale on my website, i just lowered the price for everyone!!!!!

http://store.extremedreamzr...re-extinguisher.html

[This message has been edited by awestfield (edited 05-05-2010).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Yep, mine fit perfectly right behind the drivers seat on the floor, no mounting bracket needed.
DougC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DougCSend a Private Message to DougCDirect Link to This Post
I've seen pictures of right in front of the driver's seat (with proper brackets of course, so it doesn't roll around) like Dennis said, and I like the look of that, and it seems very convenient, it's easy to get to but out of the way. Plus if you're the only driver, how often do you adjust your seat?

I also like the idea of having extras like Dennis also mentioned (in the engine side trunk, and maybe one in the front trunk). Better safe than sorry! Plus if you have multiple, you could conceivably get away with having smaller ones...
mtjd25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mtjd25Send a Private Message to mtjd25Direct Link to This Post
I put my extinguisher on the passenger side between the seat and the trim going up to the door (where the parking brake handle would be on the driver side). it slides nicely in there, and hasnt budged at all, no sliding around even without brackets. Don't know if this is accessible enough for the inspection, as its on the other side of the car, but, its there if you were to need it, and pretty easily reachable from across the car.
timcha

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timchaSend a Private Message to timchaDirect Link to This Post
OMG...........like a Fiero would ever catch fire............right....................whatever lol

[This message has been edited by timcha (edited 05-05-2010).]

Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by timcha:

OMG...........like a Fiero would ever catch fire............right....................whatever lol

lol.. Nah, never happen... That was just..... A myth!... yeah, thats the ticket.. lol.

You could get one of those small little kitchen extinguishers, and mount it on the pass side of the center console wall.. Down near the footwell or something. Maby just make a "temp" mount, that you can just remove later if you want without much work.. Then you can have it there for your inspection.. But its not a bad idea to carry one in your car.. Any car.. Not just a Fiero.

[This message has been edited by Jonesy (edited 05-05-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
My extinguisher sits on top of the spare tire, along with a first aid kit and jumper cables.
Bump

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BumpSend a Private Message to BumpDirect Link to This Post
Mine has one on the floor behind the drivers seat.
F355spider

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

I found a rather nifty spot for mine......Behind the seat.

that is the spot I keep mine, a must for all fieros

jazz4cash

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jazz4cashSend a Private Message to jazz4cashDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by awestfield:

hey guys here's the link to the one that i sale on my website, i just lowered the price for everyone!!!!!

http://store.extremedreamzr...re-extinguisher.html

I can't read the dimensions on this...even when I maximize the thumnail
awestfield

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for awestfieldClick Here to visit awestfield's HomePageSend a Private Message to awestfieldDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jazz4cash:

I can't read the dimensions on this...even when I maximize the thumnail

i'll call and get the demensions tommorrow

RussSan

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RussSanSend a Private Message to RussSanDirect Link to This Post

Was there when I bought the car.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2010 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
I put mine in front of the passenger seat just in front of the slider handle. It is out of the way and almost out of sight.
White Spyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2010 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White SpyderSend a Private Message to White SpyderDirect Link to This Post
I thought about behind the seat and in front of the "slider" handle but was not sure about interfering with the operation of the seat. Interesting placement on the passenger footwell.

MORE PHOTOS OF PLACEMENTS !!!!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2010 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Dont put it in the rear trunk or engine bay. If you have a fire there (most likely place to have one) you have to first open it and reach into the flames to retrieve it. Behind the seat with no bracket is best to me. You just grab it as you exit...dont even have to unclip it.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2010 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
You can put this one in the trunk http://www.jegs.com/i/Fire-...rentProductId=753270 and not have any worries. Fire Bottle #386-RC500PULLDTS Fire Safety System with 5 lbs. Bottle
PFF
System Bot
ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2010 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckDirect Link to This Post
Mine came with a holder with a velcro base that I stuck on the ledge above the center console. It stuck out like a sore thumb but that was part of the humor in it!
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2010 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
Mine's mounted on that little ledge behind the seats at the bottom of the back window.
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2010 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post
Mine is too big to put in the cabin, so it's in the front compartment, bungied to the tire hold down.
White Spyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2010 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White SpyderSend a Private Message to White SpyderDirect Link to This Post

Mine came with a holder with a velcro base that I stuck on the ledge above the center console. It stuck out like a sore thumb but that was part of the humor in it!

Mine's mounted on that little ledge behind the seats at the bottom of the back window.

I would think both of these as deadly. Just a slight hit from the front or rear and that thing might hit you in the head!
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2010 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
Mine's been there for years (window ledge). It's been though some hard stops, hard curves, bad bumps (like going over rail road tracks faster than I should have) and stayed put.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2010 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
You just havent hit anything hard enough. I guarantee the little mounts wont hold up to many Gs. Before they had wrap around seats in racecars, it was not unusual for a belted in 6 point harness to give enough your head or shoulder hung out the passenger side window. That killed Joe Weatherly. They didnt even realize how many Gs you took until they started watching in-car cameras. People used to put everything on the rear package shelf and ended up seriously injured getting hit by it when in an accident. ie/ book=fractured skull, pencil = stabbed in neck. My aunt got in a head on wreck and she always had a pile of little bottles like make up, etc on the shelf. Her windshield was smashed out from the inside with all the goop in them splashed everywhere in the front.
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2010 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
I've been looking to have one also... I would think that putting it in the passenger side, like the right footrest would be crazy.. and the in-between the door and the seat.. I would make sure that you can at least reach the thing. I like the spot right in front of the passenger seat on the floor. Ebay has got great deals on them too..

I'm using the house one right now.. but it's a medium size.
White Spyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2010 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White SpyderSend a Private Message to White SpyderDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking that behind the driver seat on the floor is going to be the trick. Out of the way and accessible.
hksteck84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2010 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hksteck84Send a Private Message to hksteck84Direct Link to This Post
Can't having a fire extinguisher in your vehicle make your insurance costs lower?
ekinodum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2010 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ekinodumSend a Private Message to ekinodumDirect Link to This Post
I can't imagine that there is enough room behind my seat to fit anything other than a sheet or two of paper- if I could push the seat back a little further into the engine compartment, I would. I am guessing you would only put a fire extinguisher back there if you already technically fit into the car, which I don't, really. And in case of a fire my first priority is going to start the somewhat difficult process of getting my butt out of the car, not reaching across to the floor to extract an extinguisher. So I have to admit that I am a little intrigued by the idea of mounting the recessed extinguisher (linked in one of the posts above) to the exterior of the car- as a bit of bling. Maybe opposite the air intake.
Photoshop, anyone?
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2010 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
I don't mean to be rude, but I put an extinguisher in my car to extinguish a fire. As such, I picked an extinguisher that is large enough to (hopefully) accomplish that task. Those dinky little "Coke bottle" extinguishers aren't going to be very useful in that regard. So you should consider them as mainly ornamental.
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2010 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

I don't mean to be rude, but I put an extinguisher in my car to extinguish a fire. As such, I picked an extinguisher that is large enough to (hopefully) accomplish that task. Those dinky little "Coke bottle" extinguishers aren't going to be very useful in that regard. So you should consider them as mainly ornamental.

I totally agree. As it was, a big one didn't do much when our grand marquis went up in flames. Actually, I believe two were emptied on it.
Fosgatecavy98

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2010 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

I disagree,

Last summer a $13 dollar extinguisher saved my car. I was tuning my car and my wideband went wacky, and it flooded the engine, completely locking the engine up with fuel, stupid me tried to start the car and it ignited coming up through the PVC on the valve cover, along with the tail pipes.

The flames off the PVC licked up my rear window and melted some of the lower plastic around the window, and the tail pipe flames didnt do a whole lot. I was able to drive it home as well. I now have 3 extinguishers in my car
Alibi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2010 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
I keep one on the passenger side, velcroed to the side of the "transmission tunnel". I can reach it from the drivers seat or get my passenger to grab it.

Having an extinguisher isn't just about your own car, its about any fire anywhere you go with your car. I was on my way to my brothers place in Kansas City when a car in front of me blew a rod through the block and the hot oil caught fire on the exhaust. I saw the flames licking under the car so I pulled over, grabbed my extinguisher and put the fire out before the whole car went up. That was in my Buick, but the same idea applies to any car.
White Spyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White SpyderSend a Private Message to White SpyderDirect Link to This Post
As a Fireman I can say that there are many times that I have seen a small extinguisher save a car. The key is knowing how to use one. Too many times I have seen people dump the whole thing without getting to the seat of the fire. I.E. spraying through the grill or partially opened hood. I have also seen them be just enough to keep someone trapped from burning until an engine arrived.

That said, a small extinguisher is not going to put out a big fire. Catching it when it is small and proper use, they will work.

The one I am putting into the car is about the size of a 2L bottle. I'm 5'10" and have just enough clearance behind the seat for it to fit. However, I do not recline the seat all the way back either.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
ones I have in all my cars are I think 2 lbs. about a foot long. Im 6' tall and with my seat all the way back, it fits perfectly right where the back and base meet. I got off a freeway once to find an older Cutlass with a carb fire stuck in the intersection. It put it out in a few seconds and we were both on our way. It mostly depends how quick you get on it. Shop next door had a Bonneville go up in their parking lot last week. Started with a gasoline leak and they piddled around trying to put it out with a rag and their hands untill the whole front half was totally engulfed and fire department showed up.
sunofjustice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sunofjusticeSend a Private Message to sunofjusticeDirect Link to This Post
Keep my extinguisher where I USED
to have an e-brake handle. Perfect fit!
Got rid of the entire e-brake assembly,
first time I found my rears locked up
just before going to work.
psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferDirect Link to This Post
Mine is mounted behind the passenger seat right in front of the rear window on top of that little "shelf." It is narrower and shorter than the headrest and thanks to tint, you cannot see it. Perfect spot imho.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
An idea I have is to have the extinguisher in the door sill like the Rolls Royce umbrella

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 05-09-2010).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock