Paint for Indy Toronto area by Quad GT
Started on: 05-04-2010 12:07 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Mike Murphy on 05-05-2010 05:49 PM
Quad GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTDirect Link to This Post
I'm water sanding my Indy down to the base. Almost done just have about 25% left, so I decided to get some quotes for a paint job with panels off. I will do all the prep work, first quote I got was from Martino Brothers on Dundas/Runnymede......$1700 if I do all the prep work but there is no warranty on paint or if they do all work its $4000 with full warranty.

Next today I'm going to go by 427 autobody to see what they say.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RULOOKIN

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
had some work done at 427 very nice priced resonable and lifetime warenty
Mike Murphy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
If you are sanding all of the paint off why? All you need to do is get it smooth and if needed the next best thing to do put a coat of heavy build primer and wet sand again. I see too many people here sanding down through the paint into the primer and beyond needlessly. Once you have a good base that you can work with and get all of the high and low spots leveled out paint it when it is smooth like a peice of glass. 99% of a good paint job is prep.
Quad GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTDirect Link to This Post
Sorry I failed to mention I'm only sanding down to base on my hood and nose clip as they have chips all over and paint has cracked off on the lower portion of the hood.
Quad GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTDirect Link to This Post

Quad GT

1612 posts
Member since Aug 2002
Mike when I put on primer and wet sand it....how is the paint going to stick to the primer if it smooth as glass, doesn't it have to be scuffed a bit
Mike Murphy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
I exagerated the glass part but you are right you want the paint to stick. I used 320 initially and then 400 I think or 600 but what worked good for me was using a Scotchbrite pad before I tacked it down.

I am a firm beleiver in preping the surface before painting as much as possible because you can't hid imperfection with paint like it is drywalling.

Good luck

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock