Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  "Legendary flops in automotive history " The Fiero Made it again

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

"Legendary flops in automotive history " The Fiero Made it again by signtist2004
Started on: 05-03-2010 05:36 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: Carcenomy on 05-05-2010 04:13 AM
signtist2004

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2010 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for signtist2004Send a Private Message to signtist2004Direct Link to This Post
Legendary flops in automotive history

http://autos.yahoo.com/arti...legendary-car-flops/
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spaxspore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2010 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpaxsporeSend a Private Message to SpaxsporeDirect Link to This Post
Flop Notes: ; propensity to combust during a crash.

Isn't that a chance with any vehicle ?

[This message has been edited by Spaxspore (edited 05-03-2010).]

faaaaq

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2010 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post
i guess im pretty unique...i always liked Edsels and Azteks lol... i remember watching Survivor with my mom back in the day and being jealous that everyone won an Aztek for just eating a gummy worm (IIRC).
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2010 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
Well they did specifically state the 1984 Fiero and not Fiero's in general so I guess that's step in the right direction!

I liked the notes for the Lincoln Blackwood "carpeted truck-bed made it impractical". Wow, really. Who'd a thunk it. Not the designers obviously!

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

[This message has been edited by ltlfrari (edited 05-03-2010).]

Black Lotus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2010 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black LotusSend a Private Message to Black LotusDirect Link to This Post
Why do you guys bother with this-- here's what they wrote on the EV-1
----------
GM EV1
Production Run: 1996-1999
Total Units Sold: 1,100
Flop Notes: Expensive and unreliable; low sales

Well, yaaa!
Low sales? They were all leased. The leasees loved them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_EV1

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2010 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Well the X90 is in its place. talk about an ugly car.
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2010 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
I had a Pinto but within a couple of years of owning it I had installed a 302 V-8 and a rear axle out of a Mustang.
It had side mounted dual exhaust so I didn`t have a fuel tank explosion problem.
They said the way the exhaust was mounted right by the fuel tank it would pucture in a rear end collision.

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 05-03-2010).]

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2010 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Man Txgood that is exactly what I did also.
I loved that car. It was so fun blowing people that laughed at you off the road. Of course I upgraded the brakes also.
Wish I still had that car but it started rusting away and I couldn't stop it...
Getting the headers to fit was a trick.

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
I didn`t have headers as mine was a low budget swap.
I just took the exhaust manifolds and turned them upside down and ran the exhaust toward the front, down and back.
I had to drop the radiator to get the hood to close and also had to cut a hole in the hood and install a scoop so it wouldn`t
hit the air filter.

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 05-04-2010).]

Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

They said the way the exhaust was mounted right by the fuel tank it would pucture in a rear end collision.

The tank was pushed into the rear diff and the bolts from the diff would puncture it.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
I thought it was something like that.
It`s been a long time ago, but I think the Mustang`s diff had the carrier bolt in from the front, thus, smooth case on the rear.
PFF
System Bot
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

The tank was pushed into the rear diff and the bolts from the diff would puncture it.

Yes and the recall fix was to install a fiberglass panel between them so the edges of the bolts didn't puncture the tank.
Well that's what they did to my Mom's Pinto back in the 70's. We got rid of it soon after that.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
I thought it was the bumber bolts... oh well... I was like 3-4 years old when my parents had one.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Like Black Lotus, when I saw the EV-1 on the list I discounted their opinions.

Retroactive lists like this tend to re-write history a bunch. the Fiero and the Pinto were far more popular in their time than these critics would like to admit. I think GM and Ford respectively would tell you that both cars were profitable.
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
I almost wish the "fieros catch fire" thing was still a common idea, maybe it'd keep other cars farther back from me in traffic.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Wish I had a dozen Edsel 'flops' right now. It would quadruple my standard of living with what theyre worth now.
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
Just another misinformed id10t. The fiero was far from a flop it had some issues, but many knew the car had much potential. Seems its our turn for some more undeserved bad press the author probably hates the fact that the car has had some favorable articles written in the past few years. I too wish i had a few Edsel's , hehe those things in good shape go for a mint.

[This message has been edited by Macs86GT (edited 05-04-2010).]

JMergen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JMergenSend a Private Message to JMergenDirect Link to This Post
I like it. That would make a great license plate " LEGENDARY"
snowblindburd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for snowblindburdSend a Private Message to snowblindburdDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Black Lotus:

Why do you guys bother with this-- here's what they wrote on the EV-1

LOL. Yes I thought the same thing when I read that. I was like hmm they were only available in one or two states and only as a lease so what kind of sales figures do you expect them to have. Haha..

I love the EV-1!

------------------

1990 Sunbird SE /// 1995 Beretta Base

Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 04:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post
Hey, they found one of those awesome limited edition right hand drive 1984 Indy Fieros too!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock