Duke Air Cleaner Suggestions?!?!?! by awestfield
Started on: 05-01-2010 02:13 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: awestfield on 05-03-2010 01:06 PM
awestfield

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2010 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for awestfieldClick Here to visit awestfield's HomePageSend a Private Message to awestfieldDirect Link to This Post
OK so i'm stuck with my duke at least until this winter and I want to clean the engine bay up some. I can't stand the Factory air cleaner housing. Does anyone have suggestions on modification to theres or what they have seen others do? Holley air cleaners are next to impossible to find and i have searched the archives with little or no results. So come on guys what do you have out there?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2010 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
The Holley air cleaner cover you're talking about is literally just a cover to replace the stock one. There's also a valve cover gasket, duke throttle body, spacer and other parts that are supposed to go along with it to make a complete set (quite valuable if you can find most of the parts).

There's not much you could do as you really need the setup as is since it has to curve out of the filter housing and go up towards the firewall and then proceed down to the air intake. On both my V6 Fieros I currently have I painted the filter housings silver so they would stand out. For the duke, you might clean it up real good and paint it a gloss black. Thats what I did on my first duke Fiero. You could also potentially replace the rubber flex tubing with something solid. What I mean is that you keep the stock housing cleaned up and painted and then run solid pipe from the end of the housing down to the intake. I don't think I've seen that setup yet on a duke (or if it's out there I've missed it).
awestfield

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2010 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for awestfieldClick Here to visit awestfield's HomePageSend a Private Message to awestfieldDirect Link to This Post
Yea thats what i was thinking to do but just wanted to make sure there where no other options available, the duke throttle body is not very welcoming to any other air cleaners of any form.

[This message has been edited by awestfield (edited 05-01-2010).]

Curlrup

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2010 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post
I agree, I have been toying with the idea of making a Carbon Fiber replacement. I have 9 yards of sample pre-preg that will withstand 300 degrees that I have to "play" with to see if I like it. I was going to do some bezels for my interior which will take a yard or two then something big.
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post05-01-2010 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
...The best alternative is to adapt an Edelbrock elite aircleaner,,this is not a drop in ,so you never see it ,,this was to be one of the few mods to my 88 duke.. But, I got an 86 GT
..The Edelbrock elite is a neatojet mod,,when you see it you will see how this single modification will upgrade the compartment
..this will be much easier than the super duty valve cover
...Of course a good paint job and an Offenhauser sticker would help

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 05-01-2010).]

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2010 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
Put a nice valve cover on, and folks won't care so much about your air cleaner. Of course, you will have to modify it to accommodate the valve cover.

awestfield

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2010 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for awestfieldClick Here to visit awestfield's HomePageSend a Private Message to awestfieldDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the suggestions i'm thinking that a trip to pull a part is in store for the weekend!!!!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock