Started on: 04-21-2010 03:45 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: katatak on 05-04-2010 10:12 PM
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2010 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
I now have all my parts gathered for the Formula so I can get started on fixing all the little issues before the 1200 mile RT to the Round up in May.

Here's the list:

Rebuild the door hinges including new rollers/pins from RD. Drivers door done. Passenger done.
Install new outer Dew Wipes from Stu. Drives door done. Passenger done.
Install new headliner material
Major cleaning of the interior
Inspect/repair the suspension - everything feels tight but I need to put an eyeball on everything. Done everything looks good.
There is a rattle behind the seats - I think it's the heat shield. Done - heat shield was loose.
Inspect/repair the motor mounts - I suspect I need new ones! Motor mounts are good.
Install new brake pads all four corners. Done.
Fresh trans fluid, Done
Flush brake fluid. Done
Flush CLutch fluid. Done

I have 3 weekends to get this all done plus get the XTC finished. I wonder if I can get it all done? Anyway, here we go! Guess what I am going to start with?

More later!

Pat

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 05-04-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2010 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
the door
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2010 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

the door

Revin, How did you guess that? Man you are quick..........
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2010 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008
So I was headed out to work on the XTC this evening and my 16 year old decided that he wanted to go to church so I decided to work on my car! 2.5 hours to dismantle and remove the door, rebuild the hinges, rebuild the mirror and put it all back together with the new dew wipe. Almost like I had done it once or twice. I had one set back. As careful as I was, the damn plastic trim clips desintegrated. I'll have to order some from the Fiero Store in the AM.

When the PO had the car, he was backing it out of his garage and caught the driver side mirror on the edge of the garage. He had it repaired but not very well. The mech inside the mirror was hosed up too so I had to do surgery on it - thank goodness I had spare mirrors.

Tearing it apart:

Repairing the mirror:

Old ratty dew wipe out:

Door off - I must have emptied the tool box!

Hinges off:

While the door is off, I will clean and lube the window mech:

Top hinge tore down - it was getting sloppy:

Pressing the new bushings in - note the hi end bushing press.

Ready to be installed:

Here's the main reason for rebuilding the hinges - bad roller!

Follow RD's instructions and all will go well - have to grind off the old roller pin:

And drive it out with a drift:

Install the new pin using various washer/spacers to get the arm to ride in the middle of the roller:

Bottom hinge ready to install: Thanks Rodney!

Door back on with new dew wipe: Thanks Stu!

Skin on:

Mirror rebuilt and installed:

Done: - well except for the outer trim:

And while I was crawling around on the ground, I noticed this little gem - off to the tire store in the morning!

Now for the passenger door!

Pat
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2010 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
More progress on the Formula today. Got the passenger door rebuilt to match the drivers door. Got the front end up on jacks to inspect the suspension and brakes. Found that the nuts on the upper left a arm were loose - loose enough so that the washers were rattling around - source of the noise I was hearing. All the bushings and ball joints looked good and were tight and the tie rods were good. I did find that the brake pads were almost gone. I installed a new set of pads and lubed up the front end. After I put it all back togethre and the tires back on, I jaceked up the back to check out the motor mounts - all look good and no movement with the crowbar! All the bushings in the back look good and the rear pads are ok but I will change them out next weekend. Was a productive day.

The Jeep CJ look!

Check out how thin these pads were:

Just starting to wear the groove out!

Later!

Pat

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 04-25-2010).]

fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsDirect Link to This Post
Pat,
I have an EXCELLENT pair of Beechwood seats I was going to put on ebay as I wont be using them for my project. Also, I have the Formula stickers for the door that I ordered for my Black Formula before it became a Fino.
I see how quickly you progress and it floors me how people take years (decades) to get their Fiero back on the road. And you're not even getting PAID to do it!

------------------
Life is just SO much better when you own AND drive a Fiero!

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Update:

Got the rear brake pads installed. Left side was a PITA - rotor was rusted/welded to the hub. Could not get it off. had to remove the caliper to get the inner pad changed. Then I threw it back together, tire on, jump on the passenger side - finished it and remembered that I forgot to torque down all the monuting bolts on th driver side. Remove the left tire, undue the ebrake cable, torque everything - done.

Changed to trans fluid - drained out the old - it did not look bad - but filled her up with fresh synchromesh.

Flushed all the brake lines and filled/bled with fesh fluid. Did the same for the clutch. Had no problems bleeding the brakes or the clutch. Went like I'd done it a million times. All the mechanical is done - now it needs a major league cleaning - I might take it and have it detailed this weekend! I wish I had time to get it painted. Maybe next month.

Pat

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock