First tune up as a first time owner by FirstDrCar
Started on: 03-17-2010 08:52 AM
Replies: 25
Last post by: fierosound on 11-18-2010 09:10 PM
FirstDrCar

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirstDrCarClick Here to Email FirstDrCarSend a Private Message to FirstDrCarDirect Link to This Post
Well, my car is finally in the garage for a tune up, and these are the parts I got for it:
fuel filter, oil filter, spark plugs, 02 sensor, PCV valve, gas filter, wire set, new thermostat, MAP sensor, breather filter. I also bought new bosch blades. This weekend I plan to flush the coolant system. I also hope to fix the dent in one of the coolant pipes. FInally, time permitting, I hope to change the front brakes, wheel bearings, and tie rods. I still will need to perform the sunroof "vista" fix or whatever they call it (drilling the holes in the corner). Hopefully, that will fix the sunroof leak so I will not have to buy new rubber seals.

I just thought I would let everyone know because I love this site and everyone has been soooo helpful

Cheers!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
YZrider143

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for YZrider143Send a Private Message to YZrider143Direct Link to This Post
Im doing much of the same things as a first time owner. I managed to pull the cradle also, so I can put a new clutch in my 85 GT.

Good luck on your tune up.

[This message has been edited by YZrider143 (edited 03-17-2010).]

FirstDrCar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirstDrCarClick Here to Email FirstDrCarSend a Private Message to FirstDrCarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by YZrider143:

Im doing much of the same things as a first time owner. I managed to pull the cradle also, so I can put a new clutch in my 85 GT.

Good luck on your tune up.

How long did it take for you to pull the cradle? Did you do it yourself? Any pics?
Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseClick Here to Email EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
Good luck guys!

When I got my first Fiero, it had sat for 6-10 years and ran like heck. It took a long time, but when I fineally put in new wires and plugs, and car came to life, and I was grinning for a week (actually I am still grinning, 7 years later).....

With you parts, you should see a huge difference!

PS, be sure to include pics of your work, sort of a photo journal....

------------------
Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival. - W. Edwards Deming

Jay Brintnell
Southern Ontario Fiero Association and the Ontario Pontiac Club

[This message has been edited by Eclipse (edited 03-17-2010).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 552
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Forget.....but arent the front wheel bearing integrated into the hubs and NOT replacable. I was thinking you MUST put on a complete hub. could be wrong.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Click Here to Email css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Forget.....but arent the front wheel bearing integrated into the hubs and NOT replacable. I was thinking you MUST put on a complete hub. could be wrong.

Only on the 88s.

FirstDrCar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirstDrCarClick Here to Email FirstDrCarSend a Private Message to FirstDrCarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

Only on the 88s.

Thank you for clarifying that for me.
FirstDrCar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirstDrCarClick Here to Email FirstDrCarSend a Private Message to FirstDrCarDirect Link to This Post

FirstDrCar

718 posts
Member since Feb 2010

Originally posted by Eclipse:

Good luck guys!

When I got my first Fiero, it had sat for 6-10 years and ran like heck. It took a long time, but when I fineally put in new wires and plugs, and car came to life, and I was grinning for a week (actually I am still grinning, 7 years later).....

With you parts, you should see a huge difference!

PS, be sure to include pics of your work, sort of a photo journal....

Unfortunately, I will not be able to take pictures of the tune up because my mechanic is doing it. However, from this point forward I will be doing the mechanical work with my neighbor, and I will be definitely be taking pictures!
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 343
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Click Here to Email pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
You all with your dukes have it lucky. Everytime us 2.8 dudes have to do a spark plug we always risk breaking one off in the head.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 03-17-2010).]

FirstDrCar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirstDrCarClick Here to Email FirstDrCarSend a Private Message to FirstDrCarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

You all with your dukes have it lucky. Everytime us 2.8 dudes have to do a spark plug we always risk breaking one off in the head.

Yeah, but you fly past us on the road :P
Spoilt_87fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spoilt_87fieroSend a Private Message to Spoilt_87fieroDirect Link to This Post

Been there don't want to relive it either as its time for a new plugs in my 85gt.
PFF
System Bot
Spoilt_87fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spoilt_87fieroSend a Private Message to Spoilt_87fieroDirect Link to This Post

Spoilt_87fiero

420 posts
Member since Jan 2008

Originally posted by FirstDrCar:

Yeah, but you fly past us on the road :P

Yeah but you pass us at the gas station
Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseClick Here to Email EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
lol..that's why I kept my 5 speed tranny when I swapped out my Duke for a 2.8.

I get good speed (ported and a power pulley setup), and good mileage (5th gear fro highway cruising).

Let us know how it turns out!

------------------

Jay Brintnell

[This message has been edited by Eclipse (edited 03-18-2010).]

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 343
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 04:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Click Here to Email pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Eclipse:

lol..that's why I kept my 5 speed tranny when I swapped out my Duke for a 2.8.

I get good speed (ported and a power pulley setup), and good mileage (5th gear fro highway cruising).

Let us know how it turns out!

Yes i do have to amdit between driving my 4 speed and driving my getrag 5 speed you do notice a big diffrence in gas consumption.
Spoilt_87fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Spoilt_87fieroSend a Private Message to Spoilt_87fieroDirect Link to This Post

Yes i do have to amdit between driving my 4 speed and driving my getrag 5 speed you do notice a big diffrence in gas consumption.

FirstDrCar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirstDrCarClick Here to Email FirstDrCarSend a Private Message to FirstDrCarDirect Link to This Post
I will be picking up my car tonight when I get out of work!
SNAPPY829

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SNAPPY829Click Here to Email SNAPPY829Send a Private Message to SNAPPY829Direct Link to This Post
You will notice a huge difference in performance with the new parts depending on how bad they are. Also good plan on the o2 sensor, usually forgotten until it shows a code but they get lazy over time and you get poor fuel economy and performance.
FirstDrCar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirstDrCarClick Here to Email FirstDrCarSend a Private Message to FirstDrCarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SNAPPY829:

You will notice a huge difference in performance with the new parts depending on how bad they are. Also good plan on the o2 sensor, usually forgotten until it shows a code but they get lazy over time and you get poor fuel economy and performance.

Thanks! What apparatus is used to display engine codes if something is going wrong?
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post

I just went thru that myself. Broken plug in the firewall bank. I ended up having to disassemble the intake, remove the upper mount, rock the engine to the back just to get access. Even then, it took days with an easy out, some liquid wrench, and a lot of cursing to get it out!!!

Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post

Fformula88

7890 posts
Member since Mar 2000

Thanks! What apparatus is used to display engine codes if something is going wrong?

Your check engine light would be on if it is throwing a code.

To check the code, you remove the panel where the cig lighter is, then jump two of the contacts in the terminal under there and turn the ignition on (do not start car). The check engine light will then flash all the stored codes in sequence which you can cross check online or with a manual.

I know the Chiltons Fiero manual has the exact procedures and codes in it. Probably listed somewhere here too.

So apparatus would be a torx driver to get the panel off, and nothing more than a bent paper clip to jump the two leads.

[This message has been edited by Fformula88 (edited 03-18-2010).]

YZrider143

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for YZrider143Send a Private Message to YZrider143Direct Link to This Post

How long did it take for you to pull the cradle? Did you do it yourself? Any pics?

Yes, I did the whole job myself, it took me about 6 hours total to do it and it was my first time doing it. I didnt take any pics personally, I used this thread to help guide me //www.fiero.nl/forum/F...2/HTML/088599-3.html
PFF
System Bot
Spoilt_87fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spoilt_87fieroSend a Private Message to Spoilt_87fieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fformula88:

Your check engine light would be on if it is throwing a code.

To check the code, you remove the panel where the cig lighter is, then jump two of the contacts in the terminal under there and turn the ignition on (do not start car). The check engine light will then flash all the stored codes in sequence which you can cross check online or with a manual.

I know the Chiltons Fiero manual has the exact procedures and codes in it. Probably listed somewhere here too.

So apparatus would be a torx driver to get the panel off, and nothing more than a bent paper clip to jump the two leads.

When u jump the across the aldl your check enging light should flash a code 12 normally. So ur light will flash once for one the twice for two. thats how you read your codes. After it flashes 12 three times if i remember. it will start flashing any codes stored in the ecm after that in the same fashion. Here's a link to the articles section on the main page of the forum with all the codes.

//www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/main.cgi?ECMCodes

Hope this helps some and the torx size is a T-15

FirstDrCar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirstDrCarClick Here to Email FirstDrCarSend a Private Message to FirstDrCarDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all of the help with all of the ECM codes fellas. On Saturday I plan on flushing out the coolant system and doing the vista fix to the sunroof. After that, I think I will be cruising around in my Fiero daily!
Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2010 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseClick Here to Email EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
SO.... did you drive it??

------------------

Jay Brintnell

Docs87gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2010 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Docs87gtClick Here to Email Docs87gtSend a Private Message to Docs87gtDirect Link to This Post
just wondering how much a mechanic would charge us for a tune up,i called one shop and the guy quoted over 400 dollars for just a tune up, with spark plugs,wires,distributor cap and rotor,fuel filter just wondering if that was normal,im going to do all this myself but i was just wondering if that price was outrageous as i thought
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 282
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2010 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Docs87gt:

... the guy quoted over 400 dollars for just a tune up,

Buy the parts, download a manual and do it yourself. http://www.fieronews.net/fusion/downloads.php

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock