Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  LED marker / turn signals and accent lighting (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
LED marker / turn signals and accent lighting by randye
Started on: 03-16-2010 09:59 AM
Replies: 112
Last post by: 88GTS on 11-19-2010 03:01 PM
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
How much more effort would have to be made to install on a notchback?

I like this mod and think it'd look great on my 85gt... You people and your fastbacks make me jealous
IP: Logged
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
I took the Ogre's advice and installed a bridge rectifier on both front markers.
Now the signals flash when the parking lights are off and on.
Somehow I never noticed before that the front marker / signals flash together with the front signals when the parking lights are *off* and they flash alternately to the front signals when the parking lights are *on*.....

Here's a short, crappy quality, video from my Blackberry:

Easy to see how bright the marker / signals are with the LEDs now.
That loud "THUNK" you hear at the beginning and end of the video is my keyless entry system automatically locking and unlocking the doors with the ignition key...

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 03-18-2010).]

Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyDirect Link to This Post
Very nice. I can see this in my future once I get my sequential signal lights working.
kevin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
You da man

Cordially,
Kevin
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post
Pretty cool video randye ... you didn't mention at the beginning how much spacing there was left once the strip was installed.. that's why we kind of went to far with our version of rerouting the wires through the hole.. ... anyway if I drill a hole in the hood and use duct tape to hold the whole thing together do you think I can run 1 gauge wires to the strip ??? would look pretty beefy sort of Rat Rod !!! J/K

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 03-18-2010).]

Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

How much more effort would have to be made to install on a notchback?

I like this mod and think it'd look great on my 85gt... You people and your fastbacks make me jealous

To see how to do this mod to the notchback side marker light, please watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaVGcZy29vM

The kit that is being sold will work for both notchback and fastback style side markers.

------------------
Top Line Group Automotive
-Aftermarket accessories for the Fiero
www.TLG-auto.com

zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2010 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalDirect Link to This Post
This might be a dumb question, but I am not that familiar with circuts and wiring. I read the write-up in the Cave about adding the bridge rectifier. I was wondering if the bridge rectifier can be installed in the TLG LED wiring instead of the wiring that goes to the light socket. I would rather modify the bulb side of the wiring that can be removed from the car instead of the socket side. Would it work the same this way? Thank you.
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2010 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
I'm sure it would, the socket and plug adapter are basically just wires, so before or after it should make no difference
Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2010 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post
Yep I'm positive it would work ... either end will function but you must make sure of the right connections before you solder ....
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2010 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
i'm having a hell of a time getting the markers apart, the heat gun is melting everything but the part i need apart.
Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2010 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tom Slick:

i'm having a hell of a time getting the markers apart, the heat gun is melting everything but the part i need apart.

The end pieces on the back are the hardest part to get started. Once you can get that side lifted you should be able to lift the whole piece up. Maybe I'll post another vide of JUST taking apart a marker light.
PFF
System Bot
Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2010 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post

Oslo

5423 posts
Member since Sep 2002

Originally posted by doublec4:

I'm sure it would, the socket and plug adapter are basically just wires, so before or after it should make no difference

The decision has been made to sell the end product with the silicon bridge rectifier already installed in the wiring. This will make the product better and provide for more simple user-friendly installation.

Also, the price will not increase at all.
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2010 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oslo:
The decision has been made to sell the end product with the silicon bridge rectifier already installed in the wiring. This will make the product better and provide for more simple user-friendly installation.

SWEET!! Sounds like a great idea to me. I am really looking forward to this upgrade!!
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

I took the Ogre's advice and installed a bridge rectifier on both front markers.
Now the signals flash when the parking lights are off and on.
Somehow I never noticed before that the front marker / signals flash together with the front signals when the parking lights are *off* and they flash alternately to the front signals when the parking lights are *on*.....

Cool.
Thank for the video... I'll put it in the cave.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
This is a wicked cool mod and I dare say will make the car safer to drive. I am definitely gonna do this once they are back in stock. I am going to florida this week so I cannot do anything until I return but this is a must have and the price seems fair to me..... Just a question, in the video the front turn signals are in the corner markers and the front running lights, does the front kit include both lights led strips or just both markers? Nice job guys on a nice product.... peace

Pete
Camel

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CamelClick Here to visit Camel's HomePageSend a Private Message to CamelDirect Link to This Post
Cant wait for them to come back in stock. Shame I didn't have them for the Daytona Weekend! + for you!
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Cool.
Thank for the video... I'll put it in the cave.

Thank You.
This might be the first time in my life that I feel honored to be in a "cave"
Also, another thanks to you for "prodding" us to add the rectifiers.
I personally think these are the turn signals and markers the Fiero *should* have had.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

randye

13819 posts
Member since Mar 2006

Originally posted by Camel:

Cant wait for them to come back in stock. Shame I didn't have them for the Daytona Weekend! + for you!

I'll be at Daytona, so you can see mine for yourself.
Thanks for the +
Much appreciated.
Camel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CamelClick Here to visit Camel's HomePageSend a Private Message to CamelDirect Link to This Post

I'll be at Daytona, so you can see mine for yourself.
Thanks for the +
Much appreciated.

AWESOME! Will you have any of your other product for sale there? I am browsing the site now... mostly LED mods...

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

AWESOME! Will you have any of your other product for sale there? I am browsing the site now... mostly LED mods...

The products are from TLG-Auto, not me.
I'm just the "inventor" of this LED marker / turn signals mod.
"Oslo" (TLG-Auto) has taken over the production and sales of them and has also made improvements to them, (the 194 male plugs), to make them easier to install.
I have no vested interest in TLG-Auto and I get no % of any sales of the markers.
I just wanted these to be available to the Fiero community and figured that TLG-Auto was best positioned to make that happen.
That being said, I will have flyers and sales material from TLG-Auto that will be handled on behalf of TLG by JimmyS / Fierofiberglass.com at the Daytona show.
There will also be a FREE drawing for a complete LED upgrade set for Fiero from TLG-Auto that will be handled by JimmyS
(The upgrade set being given away does NOT include the LED side markers unfortunately. "Oslo" is busy geting them produced and shipped and I imagine there was no time to include them for Daytona)
Please stop by and introduce yourself at the Fierofiberglass.com display and enter your name in the FREE drawing.
My car will be on display there along with others.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 03-22-2010).]

Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2010 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
The response to this product hitting the market was overwhelming and we are finishing up the rest of the ordered marker lights so I apologize to everyone who is waiting on them. It is taking more time than expected to get these all out to you due to the high volume! But I assure you some of the 14 pairs ordered have already shipped and more will ship tomorrow and so on.

Thanks!
PFF
System Bot
Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2010 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post
Do you have a package deal for all 4 marker lights upgrade? ... also can you tell me if we have to upgrade the flasher unit to an electronic one due to lower resistance which will affect the speed of the flashes?
Thanks

------------------

Lambo Doors
http://www.blackwidowfiero.com

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 03-30-2010).]

Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2010 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
I am expecting a COMPLETE Fiero LED upgrade kit in the future, but for now there is no discount for buying all 4 LED sidemarker kits.

Also you do NOT have to change your flasher.
kooljess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2010 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kooljessSend a Private Message to kooljessDirect Link to This Post
I am hoping on getting mine tomorrow (Wednesday 03-31-10) it's what the tracking number say anyway. So hopefully I can make my mods soon after that. Thanks again for posting this great mods. And thanks to Randye and Oslo of course for a job well done.

------------------

http://members.cardomain.com/koolflip

Camel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2010 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CamelClick Here to visit Camel's HomePageSend a Private Message to CamelDirect Link to This Post

The response to this product hitting the market was overwhelming and we are finishing up the rest of the ordered marker lights so I apologize to everyone who is waiting on them. It is taking more time than expected to get these all out to you due to the high volume! But I assure you some of the 14 pairs ordered have already shipped and more will ship tomorrow and so on.

Thanks!

Ya, I got my "in stock notice" and wasn't quick enough! LOL I'll be keeping a check on them!

-Brent
zigaroo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2010 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zigarooSend a Private Message to zigarooDirect Link to This Post
Boo, I never got the notice in my email. But I have been checking the site a few times a day and still never saw they were in stock. Oh well, I'll wait.

[This message has been edited by zigaroo (edited 04-01-2010).]

Camel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2010 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CamelClick Here to visit Camel's HomePageSend a Private Message to CamelDirect Link to This Post
Back in stock... however the price has made a noticeable jump... anyhow, ordered mine any ways!

Brent

[This message has been edited by Camel (edited 04-01-2010).]

Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2010 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

Original price when I first looked $23.00, price when I looked at the website to order today $30.00. Did I misread something? Are you including shipping in the new price. -Jason
Camel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2010 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CamelClick Here to visit Camel's HomePageSend a Private Message to CamelDirect Link to This Post
bump
Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2010 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post

Back in stock... however the price has made a noticeable jump... anyhow, ordered mine any ways!

Brent

Sorry guys, the price did increase a little bit, but the first dozen orders that were placed were at the original price of $24, and after they sold out the decision was made internally to bring the price up to $30 per pair. This is because we found out exactly how time consuming this product is to make. Each set of four takes about 1 hour to assemble, and at $24 per pair plus the cost of materials it's not even worth producing. Sorry for not advertising the slight price increase.

Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2010 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post

Oslo

5423 posts
Member since Sep 2002

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

Original price when I first looked $23.00, price when I looked at the website to order today $30.00. Did I misread something? Are you including shipping in the new price. -Jason

Shipping is not included, and the comment about the price not going up was referring to the difference between the front and rear pairs. There is extra time and money put into doing the front pairs, with the included rectifier, and the price is still the same between the front and rear sets to make them more affordable.
PFF
System Bot
Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2010 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post

Maybe I'll post another vide of JUST taking apart a marker light.

yes please do...i'm to the point of paying/trading someone for a set of disassembled marker lights.

thanks...
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2010 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tom Slick:

yes please do...i'm to the point of paying/trading someone for a set of disassembled marker lights.

thanks...

Sorry to hear that you're having such a tuff time getting your markers apart.
I made my conversion using the reproduction GT markers from Fiero Store and they came apart quite easily.
You might try using a Xacto knife and making repeated light cuts along the glue joint until you can pry the backing plate out without breaking them.
"whodeanie" has also done this modifiction with, (I believe), original OEM GT markers and he didn't say he had any major problems that I know of.

The ribbed molding style markers on the Notchies are going to be harder to do, as they are glued together differently as Oslo discovered, but as evidenced by his video, it can be done with a little effort.

Maybe you could contact Oslo and see what he might charge you if you sent your markers to him and had him install the LEDs and return them to you ?
Just a thought....

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 04-05-2010).]

sabooo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2010 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for saboooSend a Private Message to saboooDirect Link to This Post
If you are having a real nightmare getting them apart, most hobby shops sell a Contact Adhesive (CA) Debonder. It works chemically to soften the glue and ease separation of the pieces. This may or may not help in this case, but I've used it with good results in other applications.

I have a set ordered, and I have some CA debonder at home, so I'll let you know how it fares when I'm separating mine. I need to be extremely delicate with mine since they are paint matched to the body.

------------------

Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2010 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

Shipping is not included, and the comment about the price not going up was referring to the difference between the front and rear pairs. There is extra time and money put into doing the front pairs, with the included rectifier, and the price is still the same between the front and rear sets to make them more affordable.

PM Sent. -Jason
zigaroo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2010 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zigarooSend a Private Message to zigarooDirect Link to This Post
I ordered a pair for my Formula the other day, and expecting them any day now. I'll also let you guys know what I run into in taking apart the markers.
kooljess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2010 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kooljessSend a Private Message to kooljessDirect Link to This Post
Well, I finally received my markers with the rectifiers installed for the front pair and the rear markers.

I too bought the side lenses from Fiero Store in order for me not to break my original 88 GT lenses. I used xacto knife to break apart mine. You just have to have a little patience. I spent approximately 10-15 minutes for each lense. After that everything is plug and play. I have not glued back the lense yet but I installed them to see how it looks. Pictures or the videos just doesn't do justice. You really have to see this in real time to truly appreciate it. Thanks again Randye and Chris for a coming up with the idea and putting the product together for all of us Fiero owners to do this to our pride and joy. I know my club members will be doing this mods too.

Thanks again,
Kooljess

------------------

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2010 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kooljess:

Well, I finally received my markers with the rectifiers installed for the front pair and the rear markers.

I too bought the side lenses from Fiero Store in order for me not to break my original 88 GT lenses. I used xacto knife to break apart mine. You just have to have a little patience. I spent approximately 10-15 minutes for each lense. After that everything is plug and play. I have not glued back the lense yet but I installed them to see how it looks. Pictures or the videos just doesn't do justice. You really have to see this in real time to truly appreciate it. Thanks again Randye and Chris for a coming up with the idea and putting the product together for all of us Fiero owners to do this to our pride and joy. I know my club members will be doing this mods too.

Thanks again,
Kooljess

PHOTOS!!
WE NEED PHOTOS!!

Anyone else complete their side marker mods yet?
Let's see 'em!

Glad you like the little upgrade Kooljess.
Pretty simple to do for such nice results huh?
I may have a coupe more nifty little ideas coming up soon
Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2010 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post

I made my conversion using the reproduction GT markers from Fiero Store and they came apart quite easily.

i order the reproduction markers from the Fiero Store, hoping they come apart easier than the factory ones.
this way i'll have an extra set incase i ruin one.

thanks...
kooljess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2010 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kooljessSend a Private Message to kooljessDirect Link to This Post

PHOTOS!!
WE NEED PHOTOS!!

Anyone else complete their side marker mods yet?
Let's see 'em!

Glad you like the little upgrade Kooljess.
Pretty simple to do for such nice results huh?
I may have a coupe more nifty little ideas coming up soon

Pictures coming soon....tomorrow maybe.

------------------

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave