California people please read AB 1740 by Brastic
Started on: 03-09-2010 11:50 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Austrian Import on 07-07-2010 08:11 PM
Brastic

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2010 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrasticClick Here to visit Brastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BrasticDirect Link to This Post
It looks like there is an unsung hero to cars out there in assemblyman Kevin Jeffries (son of legendary customizer Dean Jeffries). He submitted a bill AB1740 to do away with 500 limit to specialty constructed vehicle registrations a year. I am use to new laws attacking car culture and the hobby that we love that when I see someone stand up, I feel that we need to help. If you live in the state of California, please write to the representatives (they are listed on the Good-Guys web page) and let them know that you support this bill. Please, AS IN PLEASE, be polite, non confrontational, non accusatory, and say thank you.

http://www.good-guys.com/ne...ory.aspx?newsid=1481
http://www.aroundthecapitol...vid=20090AB174099INT
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Yeah!!!

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

RUNDLC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2010 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post
Hear-hear I'll vote for that one! or I mean I'll ask them to vote for it!

I'll add one thing, The state sure would be able to raise extra revenue that way, dmv fees will be added to the coffers as well.

[This message has been edited by RUNDLC (edited 03-12-2010).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2010 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RUNDLC:

I'll add one thing, The state sure would be able to raise extra revenue that way, dmv fees will be added to the coffers as well.

Come to think of it- I think your correct. I forgot money makes the world go round.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2010 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Brastic:

It looks like there is an unsung hero to cars out there in assemblyman Kevin Jeffries (son of legendary customizer Dean Jeffries). He submitted a bill AB1740 to do away with 500 limit to specialty constructed vehicle registrations a year. I am use to new laws attacking car culture and the hobby that we love that when I see someone stand up, I feel that we need to help. If you live in the state of California, please write to the representatives (they are listed on the Good-Guys web page) and let them know that you support this bill. Please, AS IN PLEASE, be polite, non confrontational, non accusatory, and say thank you.

http://www.good-guys.com/ne...ory.aspx?newsid=1481
http://www.aroundthecapitol...vid=20090AB174099INT

This is great. I hope SEMA SAN is also doing their part in helping them. Hopefully some car clubs can get together and write them, or save signatures.
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2010 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
"Upon initial registration with the Department of Motor Vehicles, a passenger vehicle or pickup truck that is a specially constructed vehicle, as defined in Section 580 of the Vehicle Code, ..."

580. A "specially constructed vehicle" is a vehicle which is built for private use, not for resale, and is not constructed by a licensed manufacturer or remanufacturer. A specially constructed vehicle may be built from (1) a kit; (2) new or used, or a combination of new and used, parts; or (3) a vehicle reported for dismantling, as required by Section 5500 or 11520, which, when reconstructed, does not resemble the original make of the vehicle dismantled. A specially constructed vehicle is not a vehicle which has been repaired or restored to its original design by replacing parts.

************************************************************************************************

The "not for resale" is a bit worrisome since it implies you can never sell the car but maybe the legal meaning is you aren't intending to build them and sell them as a commercial business ... Now that I think about it, what's the difference. I dunno. Maybe once it's built you can only keep it or destroy it. If someone understand the legal meaning of that, chime in.

I seriously doubt it will pass since it would pretty much allow anyone to make "any changes" to any car and claim it's a SCV. Plus 580's last sentence could be interpreted to mean "no, just because you stuck a 70's V8 in there doesn't make it 'special constructed'". I think there are too many holes here for the legislature to buy into it. But ya never know!

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 03-12-2010).]

Brastic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2010 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrasticClick Here to visit Brastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BrasticDirect Link to This Post
I am not worried about the "not for resale" part. This means a company cannot build and register cars around the current laws.
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2010 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
I think the "not for resale" line is to prevent people from making a business out of selling Lotus7 kits or the like.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2010 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Just a reminder: Have you contacted your local SEMA San representative?
Have you contacted your local Gov't representative?

This would also help get manual 3800SC swaps legal. (assuming the car originally came with an automatic transmission. Remember it has to be major modifications) At least one Fiero with a 3800SC and manual is registered that way..

gldkarma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2010 06:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gldkarmaSend a Private Message to gldkarmaDirect Link to This Post
Looks like there is another hearing and vote set for 4/5. Wish there was a link to the Fremont representative (Torico?).

http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/Bills/AB_1740

JC
gldkarma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2010 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gldkarmaSend a Private Message to gldkarmaDirect Link to This Post

gldkarma

536 posts
Member since May 2003
Okay--I wrote my State Assemblyman, Alberto Torrico, but he isn't on the Transportation Committee, which is the group hearing the bill again on April 5. The 14 or so links listed on the other active car club websites are for the members of the Transportation Committee that will actually be discussing and acting on this proposal, but most of them don't accept e-mail or probably even actively log calls from people outside their district. What I just did was call the Transportation Committee directly at the no. listed on the Goodguys website, (916) 319-2093, and the receptionist put me down as being in support. She asked if I had called in when it was discussed previously and I said no, I would be an addition, as they are carrying forward the no. of supporters from the first hearing. I guess if it gets approved by the Transportation Committee, then it may go to the full Assembly for action.

JC
PFF
System Bot
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2010 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Any news on this?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock