Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  '85GT 3800 Install Complete - Sooo Nice...

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

'85GT 3800 Install Complete - Sooo Nice... by RickN
Started on: 03-07-2010 12:42 PM
Replies: 27
Last post by: RickN on 09-02-2010 08:38 PM
RickN

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2010 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post
Well, my '85GT officially graduated yesterday from Ryan Gick's (Sinister Performance) school for horse-power challenged Fieros.

I was looking for a stock SC3800 AOD install that will be a solid and dependable summer time daily driver. In real terms only time will tell, with my supplied SC3800 assy being a variable, but first impressions, visually Ryan's workmanship is top notch, first class. Initial drives have been flawless.

Up front I had some requests. Leave the deck lid uncut and the hinge and springs stock (I think he does this normally). Leave the air cleaner and battery stock. I wanted a nice sounding, but on the quiet side, exhaust and Ryan provided exactly what I was looking for on all counts.

------------------
RickN
White 88GT 5spd
White 85GT (SC3800 Series II w/ AOD)
White 99 F250SD 7.3PSD 6spd
1956 Ford 860 Tractor w/ Freeman Loader
20Ft H&H Tilt Bed Trailer

[This message has been edited by RickN (edited 03-13-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2010 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the club!

It's good to see another Sinister Performance swap on the road!

------------------
'88 GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T.- 11.654 Best MPH-120.65
gmtuners.com -Build info

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2010 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
Ryan does excellent work.

I will be very surprised if you have any issues.

Looks great!
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2010 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RickN:
I was looking for a stock SC3800 AOD install that will be a solid and dependable summer time daily driver.

HAHAHA--Stock want last long...You will want more and with it being so easy to get you will....mark my word....Good looking swap....
DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2010 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
I like the Coil packs being on top too bad I just finished mine to be by the battery.

Stangs don't say that. Mine's stock too. But I'm looking to FieroX for assistance for my next drop in engine. Something a little mild but strong, kinda wanting to retain a little bit of fuel mileage..... And Tires.

[This message has been edited by DIY_Stu (edited 03-07-2010).]

AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2010 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DIY_Stu:

I like the Coil packs being on top too bad I just finished mine to be by the battery.

Stangs don't say that. Mine's stock too. But I'm looking to FieroX for assistance for my next drop in engine. Something a little mild but strong, kinda wanting to retain a little bit of fuel mileage..... And Tires.

The nice thing about the 3800 swaps is that you can make great power and still get great mileage. I still get about 27-28mpg combined on my setup and that's with 3.29 chainset.

As for the tires.......I can't help you there

------------------
'88 GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T.- 11.654 Best MPH-120.65
gmtuners.com -Build info

RickN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2010 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post
I understand that I've opened Pandora's box with this but I'm going to try to resist the temptation for a while. Besides, my wife is using the build as blackmail against some home remodelling so as you can imagine there won't be any play money for the Fiero for a while.

[This message has been edited by RickN (edited 03-07-2010).]

nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2010 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post
I tried to get all the performance options I wanted up front so I would not be trying to add them later but once you get bit by the speed bug it is hard to resist getting more. Expecially since you upgraded the car for the purpose of more speed and driving excitement. I am already going for more power and only had my car back for about a month. I am going to take it to the dyno and then track. I will stop modding for performance when I run under 12.....well that is what I am telling myself.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2010 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005

Next engine...How close are you to finishing this one? Next to the battery is the CLEAN look so you can admire all the SC beauty. By all the compliments I get my car will be winning lots of shows and hopefuly races too.
RickN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2010 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DIY_Stu:I like the Coil packs being on top too bad I just finished mine to be by the battery.

Maybe it's for no real consequence but I like the idea of having them a little more out of the weather, being under the decklid.
Rolling Thunder

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2010 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post
Can you get us a video of the exhaust? I haven't seen any of that setup.
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2010 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Had that same exhaust on this car (its actually for sale as we went turbo with it, uses stock manifolds, and a cut trunk)

http://www.youtube.com/user...ro#p/u/4/ERK_krZfxiU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V289g04gpTU
RickN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2010 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rolling Thunder:

Can you get us a video of the exhaust? I haven't seen any of that setup.

I'd love to but I don't have anything that would be capable of capturing the sound with any accuracy.
NCTyphoonKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2010 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidDirect Link to This Post
nice looking GT
RickN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2010 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NCTyphoonKid:

nice looking GT

Thanks, but it is a little rougher than the digital pictures show, but still a solid car.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2010 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

I see you had him mount the updated CC module on the install. Glad you posted the picture being I have to mount on myself on a car in a few days. Does the cable just route around the stryt tower to the TB?

RickN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2010 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

I see you had him mount the updated CC module on the install. ...

Well, the only credit that I will take for the install was hiring a talented guy that knew what he was doing and then I got the h*ll out of his way! LOL ...and yes it is routed as you said.

[This message has been edited by RickN (edited 03-09-2010).]

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2010 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Well, the only credit that I will take for the install was hiring a talented guy that knew what he was doing and then I got the h*ll out of his way! LOL ...and yes it is routed as you said.

Well I give you credit for choosing one of the best swaps to do in the Fiero. You will end up driving the car daily as it takes driving the Fiero to the next level..Then when you drop to a 3.4 pulley it will be all new again.
RickN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2010 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Well I give you credit for choosing one of the best swaps to do in the Fiero. You will end up driving the car daily as it takes driving the Fiero to the next level..Then when you drop to a 3.4 pulley it will be all new again.

It is amazing how much difference one liter and some boost makes.
pHoOl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2010 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlDirect Link to This Post
If you don't mind my asking, what was the price sticker on the swap? Been thinking of doing one in the future, but want to know how many decades I have to save my pennies for.
RickN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2010 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pHoOl:

If you don't mind my asking, what was the price sticker on the swap? Been thinking of doing one in the future, but want to know how many decades I have to save my pennies for.

I'll let you talk to Ryan about that.

http://www.gmtuners.com/
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 03:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pHoOl:

Ha--it is just money....I heard a kidney on the blackmarket goes for few grand these days...you only need one to live.....
DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
stangs, when you show up here to get the dews i'll have to show you the digital cruise. Very simple install as everything goes to the module mounted on the unit. if your feeding your pcm with a speed input then there's an output for the cruise. If not then there's a buffer you can use instead. mine is getting mounted where to factory air cleaner goes. And i shortened my cable. Not hard if you have a dremel.

[This message has been edited by DIY_Stu (edited 03-10-2010).]

RickN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2010 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post
Yesterday I took the day off work for a doctor's appointment in the morning then after lunch, it was an nice day here so, I took a drive in the '85GT. After leaving a friend's home southeast of Indy I pulled out onto a two lane state highway posted 55mph and set the cruise on 60 to head for home. After a mile or two, a pickup truck pulling a tandem axle trailer pulls onto the highway way out ahead of me, by the time I catch up it's only doing 50mph or so but oncoming traffic momentarily keeps me from passing for a bit. When the last oncoming car gets by I pull out into the oncoming lane to pass, floor it, the car down shifts, rpms build, and the car accelerates (under statement). But the exciting part was when I got to the the drivers door of the pickup, as the revs and boost are building, the transmission up shifts and I swear, in my peripheral vision, the truck looked like someone grabbed it and yanked it backwards. Wow!!!

[This message has been edited by RickN (edited 03-11-2010).]

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2010 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post
Oooo Ooo I want it, !

stangs, when you show up here to get the dews i'll have to show you the digital cruise. Very simple install as everything goes to the module mounted on the unit. if your feeding your pcm with a speed input then there's an output for the cruise. If not then there's a buffer you can use instead. mine is getting mounted where to factory air cleaner goes. And i shortened my cable. Not hard if you have a dremel.

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2010 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Yesterday I took the day off work for a doctor's appointment in the morning then after lunch, it was an nice day here so, I took a drive in the '85GT. After leaving a friend's home southeast of Indy I pulled out onto a two lane state highway posted 55mph and set the cruise on 60 to head for home. After a mile or two, a pickup truck pulling a tandem axle trailer pulls onto the highway way out ahead of me, by the time I catch up it's only doing 50mph or so but oncoming traffic momentarily keeps me from passing for a bit. When the last oncoming car gets by I pull out into the oncoming lane to pass, floor it, the car down shifts, rpms build, and the car accelerates (under statement). But the exciting part was when I got to the the drivers door of the pickup, as the revs and boost are building, the transmission up shifts and I swear, in my peripheral vision, the truck looked like someone grabbed it and yanked it backwards. Wow!!!

Your poor 85mph speedo....
RickN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2010 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post
Drove from Indy to Louisville, KY and back today. 229 flawless miles (a very few city miles on each end) @ 75 mph & 27.5 mpg. Nice highway cruiser. About 3 mpg better than my 2.8 at highway speeds. I wonder if my tire diameter hurts me a little here? I'm not really interested in running larger tires but I'm running 24.2" diameter tires and I'll bet that the 3800 could handle a couple more inches in tire diameter and give some more gas mileage.

[This message has been edited by RickN (edited 03-20-2010).]

RickN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2010 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post
Well, I've been driving this thing to work every day, all summer long. The build is still flawless, the engine and transmission -top to bottom, are bone dry. Not a hint of any leaks. Thanks Ryan!

Note: Ryan discussed the typical leak points of the engine with me before the install and I had him fix the usual suspects; new intake gaskets, valve cover gaskets, rear main insert seal, etc.

------------------
RickN
White 88GT 5spd (<10K miles)
White 85GT (SC3800 Series II w/ AOD)
White 99 F250SD 7.3PSD 6spd
1956 Ford 860 Tractor w/ Freeman Loader
20Ft H&H Tilt Bed Trailer

[This message has been edited by RickN (edited 02-07-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page