Should I sell for parts or Title? by slicknick
Started on: 02-14-2010 11:38 AM
Replies: 18
Last post by: slicknick on 05-13-2010 11:26 PM
slicknick

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2010 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for slicknickSend a Private Message to slicknickDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

First post here and I already have trouble.

I have an 88 coupe, very little rust in the trunk (some dime sized holes). The car runs, but is by no means reliable at the moment. I paid 500 bucks for it.

The car has a CT title in one persons name (Guy 1), and the back is signed off to another person (Guy 2). I bought it from neither of these people.

I've tried to contact Guy 1, since technically the title is still in his name. He has accepted my letter but apparently has chosen not to be involve.

I have a notarized power of Attorney from Guy 2, but that only allows me to transfer the CT title to a FL title in his name.

All of these documents make me confident everything about this car is legit, but a victim of laziness on several peoples parts, namely Guy 2.

Long story short, I can't find Guy 2, so its either try to sell the car for parts, or spend the $250 odd bucks to get a title service to title the car.

So, the grand finale is:
Is $750 worth is for a beat, but drivable 88 coupe? And even if I do, I have the feeling that I'll worry about having this less than completely legit title hanging over my head. Anyone have a similar experience?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2010 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post
Not sure how it works in FL, but here in Va, I had something very simlar. Contact your DMV and ask what needs to be done to title the car. I had to send a registared letter to the last owner.
After 30 days of no contact the car was called "abandoned" and the state titled it to me. Good luck

Rob

------------------

88 Coupe, CJB T-TOP, 1996 3.4 DOHC and a GT clip

IVANNATINKLE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2010 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
uhh ill take the car off your hands
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2010 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Guy #1 is the owner of record as far as the state goes, but since he signed it as sold it belongs to Guy #2. But if Guy #2 hasn't signed it off as sold then legally it still belongs to him. You have a few options, but they typically are going to cost you a few hundred dollars.

In Texas you would need a bonded title. You would have to put up a bond for 1 1/2 times the blue book value of the car. If Guy #2 shows up within THREE years you have to pay off the bond. After three years you get a clean title.

Honestly unless it's a special car for some reason, it's not worth it in my opinion.

An 88 in FL should not have ANY rust to be considered a good frame in my opinion. I have parts cars sitting in my yard with no rust, there is no way I would restore a car with rust holes of any kind.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 02-14-2010).]

flydeep

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2010 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flydeepSend a Private Message to flydeepDirect Link to This Post
In florida it could be considered an abandoned car. All you need to do is put an add in your local news paper identifying the VIN number and if nobody comes forward as the owner than its yours. Florida adopted this legislation years ago to eliminate trash left over from Hurricanes. Its a little known law but I use it all the time down here in the Keys. Boats,,,cars,,,,it works for most anything.
Dave
flydeep

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2010 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flydeepSend a Private Message to flydeepDirect Link to This Post

flydeep

85 posts
Member since Feb 2010
You need to run the add for two weeks.
Dave
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2010 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by flydeep:

Florida adopted this legislation years ago to eliminate trash left over from Hurricanes. Its a little known law but I use it all the time down here in the Keys. Boats,,,cars,,,,it works for most anything.
Dave

Two weeks versus three years? That's a significant time savings. But let me ask this...how many people search the newspaper looking for their missing car?
slicknick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2010 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slicknickSend a Private Message to slicknickDirect Link to This Post
I'll head down to the tax collectors office tomorrow to see what they have to say about it. I'd just really hate to be stuck with this car, as I really don't have the room to tear it completely apart.

I picked the wrong Fiero to start playing with hahaha..
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2010 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
In some states they have an addendium called a "Statement of facts." In CA I used this paper from dmv (SOF) to state what happend with an old Camaro's title similarly to what you are describing. I stated "Previous owner signed title to someone else, they were local when I purchased the car, sending me the titlelater as he had lost it. He can't (forgot) to sign the title and he has since left the country. , but here is all the previous paperwork. Done. Car in my name and happy.

EDIT: Google "Auto title services " and they may be able to help you too.

[This message has been edited by htexans1 (edited 02-15-2010).]

DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2010 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
couldn't you just write up a bill of sale to go with the title and have guy #1 and guy #2 "sign it" and then be good to go?
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2010 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by htexans1:

In some states they have an addendium called a "Statement of facts." In CA...

EDIT: Google "Auto title services " and they may be able to help you too.

In Texas a statement of fact is worthless. I used a title service and like I described earlier you will get a bonded title. It will cost a couple of hundred and you have to wait three years before you can get a clear title.
PFF
System Bot
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2010 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
In my opinion, you should always sell for title... That way, if the new owner wants to, he can restore and have it streetable.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2010 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
Rust free or almost 88? I am surprised no one from the rust belt hasnt jumped on this. I would like an extra 88 around. BUT..........................

I have no room, city has regulations, wife has regulations. My dream or aching desire is to get all the unwanted Fieros, put them into covered storage to offer to future owners to restore. Or if money was no object rebuild them to "new " and then offer them. Ya I know "good luck on that one" or " what are you smoking?" "what planet are you from" "I'll have what he is drinking" I have heard them all.

If I had Bill Gates money I could. Say Bill have you ..................

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 02-17-2010).]

slicknick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2010 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slicknickSend a Private Message to slicknickDirect Link to This Post
Well, I think I'm going to attempt to tItle the car.

After going to the tax collectors office and going through three clerks (one told me to just forge the papers, seriously... the other pretty much told me I was SOL) The last girl took the time to write an official sounding letter to both people on the title, looked up Guy #2, and is sending a certified letter. If that fails, she said she'll send one to Guy #1. That's like 20 bucks worth of mail savings and footwork right there.

Its on county letterhead and it's worded pretty strongly. I'd hustle if I had gotten one, so hopefully someone will take the time to just sign a couple of papers and resolve it.

So, sounds like if this goes through, I'm only out of pocket on two title transfers and maybe a couple of notary stamps which is much better than an shady title service deal.

I've been itching to get into a Fiero, so hopefully it'll work out.
slicknick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slicknickSend a Private Message to slicknickDirect Link to This Post
5 months and one day later I have the title in my name for the car!

Man, what a runaround, but I was able to chase down the original owner again. The guy was cool once I got him on the telephone, and was mad the the guy he sold it to took such poor care of it.. lol

Now I have a lot of decisions to make.. 3800SC or Duke for a while? Update the interior or fancy up the stocker? GT or keep the notchie? Stock nose or something different?

I have a feeling my wallet is going to be thinning out in the coming months.. lol

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by slicknick:

Now I have a lot of decisions to make.. 3800SC or Duke for a while? Update the interior or fancy up the stocker? GT or keep the notchie? Stock nose or something different?

C'mon now, other than OhioIndy, who on here would recommend you keep it stock?

You need to mod the crap out of it, new engine, suspension, brakes, wheels, interior...basically everything.
timcha

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timchaSend a Private Message to timchaDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on getting the title, and yes.......oh yes, your wallet is gonna take a big ol hickey! But won't it be worth all your hassle in the end!
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2010 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on getting your title! 88 coupe, only worth modding out. But to mod it out, you will be spending lots of money. Better be sure you want the car for a long haul. You won't get a return on investment but you'll get miles of smiles.

------------------
Life is just SO much better when you own AND drive a Fiero!

slicknick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slicknickSend a Private Message to slicknickDirect Link to This Post
Welp, looks like I'm in it now..

Super, super clean (hadn't cleaned anything when I took that picture) L67 and a 4 speed auto out of an '01 Park Ave.

Got the entire underhood harness, pcm, cruise module, etc.

I'll start a build thread once I make a little progress..

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock