My Quest to find my first Fiero by ert342
Started on: 01-09-2010 04:05 PM
Replies: 24
Last post by: ert342 on 05-11-2010 05:56 PM
ert342

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2010 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ert342Send a Private Message to ert342Direct Link to This Post
I would like to start off by thanking everyone for helping me in my other thread "Iron Duke or v6" I haven't ruled out either engine but now I at least know all of the pros/cons of each. So now I am just another high school student trying to find his first Fiero. I'm looking for a nice manual Fiero (no '84) for around $900 give or take a couple hundred. I realized they're going to need work for that kind of price and I'm ok with that. If anyone knows of any around my area (central Jersey) or around Detroit MI (I have a brother out there) please share! I'm also looking for opinions on these two that I have found:

http://philadelphia.craigsl.../cto/1541584879.html
Additional info: Has a clutch problem stuck in neutral. Other than that has been garage kept and is in nice shape.

http://toledo.craigslist.org/cto/1533182946.html
Additional info: Has new clutch, current owner thinks the previous owner hit something with the front because the front bumper has been replaced. Did a carfax and came up with a TOTAL LOSS REPORTED, but has a clean history otherwise so I'm a little confused, paint is crap, missing a few minor interior parts.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2010 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Direct Link to This Post
That black 85 GT looks sharp. Especially black 85 GT's. Do you know if it will shift when the engine is off? It could be just in need of a clutch slave cylinder rebuild. So if the problem is outside of the tranny instead if inside, I would say it would be a good one. Go check it out with a friend. Have them push in the clutch and see if the slave cylinder is able to push in the arm on the bellhousing.

Ohh, or it could be just needing some shift and select cables...and those are easily available from Rodney dickman.

[This message has been edited by sricka01 (edited 01-09-2010).]

ert342

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2010 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ert342Send a Private Message to ert342Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by sricka01:

Do you know if it will shift when the engine is off? It could be just in need of a clutch slave cylinder rebuild.

That's a good point, when the guy calls me back with the VIN I'll ask him to try that. And I just checked the VIN of the 86 coupe and its a Fiero Sport so that would explain the aero nose, so maybe there was no accident at all?
2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2010 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ert342:

That's a good point, when the guy calls me back with the VIN I'll ask him to try that. And I just checked the VIN of the 86 coupe and its a Fiero Sport so that would explain the aero nose, so maybe there was no accident at all?

86 Fiero sport coupe had the bumper pad nose. The SE is the one that had the aero nose, rear bumper cover, and full length wide black ground effects
ert342

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2010 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ert342Send a Private Message to ert342Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2farnorth:

86 Fiero sport coupe had the bumper pad nose. The SE is the one that had the aero nose, rear bumper cover, and full length wide black ground effects

Ok nevermind then.
FieroFury33

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-09-2010 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFury33Send a Private Message to FieroFury33Direct Link to This Post
Out of the two your looking at the second one is the obvious choice for me.
ert342

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2010 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ert342Send a Private Message to ert342Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroFury33:

Out of the two your looking at the second one is the obvious choice for me.

How come? Just curious?
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2010 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
Probably because it's a Southern car. The underside of Northern Fieros can be badly rusted. Whichever one you buy, be sure to look under it, and also peel back the carpet in the trunk and look for rust. Rust there is a sure sign of rust elsewhere.
fierofierofiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2010 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofierofieroSend a Private Message to fierofierofieroDirect Link to This Post
I did some searching on Crazedlist.org in Detroit, as well as major cities within a 75 mile radius from your town.

Hopefully these help out a little. But definitely check those northern cars and try to talk people down.

Detroit

87 - $850
http://detroit.craigslist.o.../cto/1523673023.html

87 - $850
http://detroit.craigslist.o.../cto/1522479283.html

86 - $850
http://detroit.craigslist.o.../cto/1505434956.html

"Nearby" Detroit

86 - $900

Philly

85 - $1000

Jersey

86 - $500
http://southjersey.craigsli.../cto/1511882070.html

87 - $850
http://longisland.craigslis.../cto/1515918817.html

ert342

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2010 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ert342Send a Private Message to ert342Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofierofiero:

I did some searching on Crazedlist.org in Detroit, as well as major cities within a 75 mile radius from your town.

Hopefully these help out a little. But definitely check those northern cars and try to talk people down.

Detroit

87 - $850
http://detroit.craigslist.o.../cto/1523673023.html

87 - $850
http://detroit.craigslist.o.../cto/1522479283.html

86 - $850
http://detroit.craigslist.o.../cto/1505434956.html

"Nearby" Detroit

86 - $900

Philly

85 - $1000

Jersey

86 - $500
http://southjersey.craigsli.../cto/1511882070.html

87 - $850
http://longisland.craigslis.../cto/1515918817.html

Thanks, yea I love crazedlist. None of those appeal to me though because I want a stick and I want a car with a sound engine/tranny.
fierofierofiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2010 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofierofieroSend a Private Message to fierofierofieroDirect Link to This Post
I did just search for 1000 and under. If the car is halfway running, it seems like most people overprice them. I've had to do some talking on both of my Fieros to get them at a reasonable price.
PFF
System Bot
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2010 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
If that clutch problem can be fixed, I'd go with the 85 GT. It was quite nice.
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2010 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sricka01:
Do you know if it will shift when the engine is off? It could be just in need of a clutch slave cylinder rebuild.

That's a good point, when the guy calls me back with the VIN I'll ask him to try that.

I'm not so sure I’d do that. Not to try and get over on the seller but you'll get a better deal if there is something "wrong" with the car that YOU can fix. If you tell the seller what's wrong and HE fixes it, he may up the price. Again not trying to screw anybody but if you can go look at it and see for yourself if that's the problem you'll know it might just need to be bleed (can be an issue if you do not know what you are doing) but if you do, easy fix. There was somebody on here who did just that, Fiero for sale with clutch issues, owner had enough and wanted it gone. He went there, checked it out, determined that the clutch just needed to be bleed, bought the car CHEEP, pushed it out into the road, bleed the system and drove it home. Not saying it will be that easy but you never know, it just may be.

Also, no matter what Fiero you go look at, make sure you check it for rust! let me say it again, CHECK FOR RUST! look in the trunk under the carpet and under the wheel wells if you can. Much easier to fix a clutch than replace a frame rail. I’ve got pictures if you’d like to see!

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 01-09-2010).]

ert342

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2010 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ert342Send a Private Message to ert342Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by grkboy707:

If that clutch problem can be fixed, I'd go with the 85 GT. It was quite nice.

Yea but its a good three hours away and its going to be hard to get out there for the next couple weeks. Also the guy said it sat in his garage for ten years without being run (sorry I forgot to mention that) haha to that could be pretty baad.

@DLCLK87GT Yea, but I'm on a more tight budget so I'm not sure I want to take that risk. I'm definitely leaning towards the 86 coupe because of the fact that it was a southern car thus avoiding those ugly rust issues...
FieroFury33

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-09-2010 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFury33Send a Private Message to FieroFury33Direct Link to This Post
Thats true^

That is the exact story I got mine for so cheap! 600$ 80k miles, power everything everything worked, plus sunroof.

Guy changed the clutch, still would be hard to shift, it was not "bled" properly the "fiero way"

Also the engine was way outta timing buncha sensors were bad. Now the engine is silent when Idling.
ert342

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2010 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ert342Send a Private Message to ert342Direct Link to This Post
Well the MI Fiero didn't work out, some other guy showed up and bought it. Now I'm negotiating with this guy http://southjersey.craigsli.../cto/1542427792.html to get his ridiculous price down. We'll see what happens.
mike-ohio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2010 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mike-ohioClick Here to visit mike-ohio's HomePageSend a Private Message to mike-ohioDirect Link to This Post
This should help with your search.

http://www2.jaxed.com/cgi-b...=&pg=&state=&ys=&ye=
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2010 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
If you have the time and money I would be looking for a Fiero that is down South so you have no rust issues to worry with. While this might cost a little more(I doudt) and take more time to get it will be worth it in the end.

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2010 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

If you have the time and money I would be looking for a Fiero that is down South so you have no rust issues to worry with. While this might cost a little more(I doudt) and take more time to get it will be worth it in the end.

X2 southern fieros are the best. My 87 came from flordia and dosent have one spec of cancerious rust. My 86 that im parting out was stored for 9 years of its life indoors so that thing is in pretty good shape and this new once i dont know how a car with 225K on the body dosent have any rust but it dosent. i have been pretty lucky in my fiero endevors in that aspect. Like i said to you earleyer since your close and if you find one in the area ill go with you to look at it to tell you if its worth it or not.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Don't be afraid to find one out of those two areas, fly in and drive it home. I just bought an Indy and drove it 1900 miles back home..flawless running! If you find one down near me i am more than willing to go look at it for you. I am sure that others with the addiction woudl be willing as well. Feel free to pm me...my area is Pensacola or northern Florida. Have seen a few down this way and haven't seen any with rust.
CaravanBill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaravanBillSend a Private Message to CaravanBillDirect Link to This Post

Yea but its a good three hours away and its going to be hard to get out there for the next couple weeks.

Beware of the psychological effects of traveling that far to look at it. You may feel compelled to buy it even if it isn't right because you invested so much into the journey. Get LOTS of pictures/info before making the trip to reduce the risk of being let down when you actually see it in person.

PFF
System Bot
gtxbullet

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletDirect Link to This Post
the most I've ever paid for one of my Fieros at time of purchase was $1500.
and the farthest I've traveled to even just look at a Fiero was 45 minutes away.

I'd high agree that if you're looking for your First Fiero keep the drive time under an hour. otherwise yours eyes will want to bite off more than you can chew.
unless you know for a fact everything about the car is in good order.

buying from Fiero Forum Members is a good idea. my $0.02

all my Fieros all had under 75k miles with zero rust and no leaks or problems that cost more than $50 to fix.

I know it's not time yet but. CONGRADULATIONS on joining the Fiero Family

------------------
F.I.E.R.O. - Fantastically Imaginative Engineering Racing Object

For any Paint Work: http://www.kurtcarloni.com/
www.fquick.com/GTXBULLET
Certified Tech/Mechanic (Restorations, Modifications, and Maintenence)
1985 Fiero GT 69k Miles (All Options) - Daily Driver
1988 FIERO Coupe "IRON DUKE" 5-Speed (the show car ;-)
1992 Firebird T-Tops V-8 30k original miles(collectors car)

[This message has been edited by gtxbullet (edited 01-18-2010).]

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Both CaravanBill and GTX bring up good points. When buying a one of 300,000 plus production car you won't have to travel far. Even for a 45 minute drive get them to send pics. When you do go look at it take it for a GOOD test drive...I use 1 hour minimums and do highway speeds back to in town speeds and everything in between. If something has been covered up with a quick fix instead of proper this usually shakes it out so you see it.
ert342

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ert342Send a Private Message to ert342Direct Link to This Post
Yea the 88 I was 55 minutes away according to googlemaps. Little did I know that it was the wrong Westville....turns out i was 2 hrs away...that's a no go.
ert342

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2010 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ert342Send a Private Message to ert342Direct Link to This Post
Well it's been awhile but I'm still looking for a Fiero and if anyone knows of anyone getting rid of or selling a Fiero near Central NJ please tell me!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock