Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Heat shields / splash shields... I can't find any consistency?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Heat shields / splash shields... I can't find any consistency? by 82-T/A [At Work]
Started on: 01-05-2010 03:42 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: project34 on 06-15-2010 08:11 PM
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2010 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
Hey guys,

I've had a few Fieros over the past several years. I still have my very first Fiero, but I've noticed that it's missing some heat shields that some other Fieros had. I'm wondering if any heat shields were removed as part of the various recalls, or if maybe some where added? Or... maybe they were specific as to whether or not it had a stick shift or not?

For example... my original Fiero is a 1987 Fiero SE / V6 with an automatic.

I picked up a 1987 Fiero SE 5-Speed V6 a few years ago. I couldn't get a title for it, so I ended up chopping the car up and giving away most of the parts. I saved the suspension, cross member, etc.. and I noticed that on this 5-Speed Fiero, there is an aluminum splash shield that bolts to the cradle directly underneath where the engine accessory belt is located. I'm assuming this is to help deflect water from splashing up and hitting it.

None of my other Fieros have had this???

I also noticed that SOME Fieros had an alternator heat shield attached to the back of the alternator, while others had the shield attached to the exhaust manifold.

Does anyone know if there was any ryme or reason for these changes? They don't seem to be totally year specific from what I can tell...
Thanks,

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
bulldog85043

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2010 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bulldog85043Send a Private Message to bulldog85043Direct Link to This Post
I know this is OT but could you post a pic of the shield attached to the back of the starter? I'm thinking this is what I need to find to stop my starter from overheating.

Thanks!
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2010 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleDirect Link to This Post
In regard to the alternator heat shield missing:
I believe these go "MIA" because their a little difficult to re-install
after an alternator change. (even though their only one bolt as I recall)
So, many leave it off.....
Kit
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2010 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

I also noticed that SOME Fieros had an alternator heat shield attached to the back of the alternator, while others had the shield attached to the exhaust manifold.

The 88s had the heat shield attached to the exhaust manifold; the earlier years had it attached to the back of the alternator.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2010 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by bulldog85043:

I know this is OT but could you post a pic of the shield attached to the back of the starter? I'm thinking this is what I need to find to stop my starter from overheating.

Thanks!

I don't think they ever HAD a heat shield on the starter. The car came with heat shields almost everywhere... but not on the starter. That said, it doesn't seem to be in any spot that's overly complicated, so you could probably install one from another vehicle. They also sell a starter heat shield that basically wraps around it from Summit Racing: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/THE-14150/ (30 bucks shipped)

As for the heat shields on the rest of the car (as per my original post back in January), I'm just going to ceramic coat my exhaust manifolds. I'll install the heat shield on the back, but I won't install one on the front. However, I will install it on the alternator though simply becuase it's so close to the manifold that I still think it'll need it.

I still haven't seen another car with that splash shield installed on the cradle (to deflect water and such from the accessory belts). I'm definitely going to install that in my 87 when I finally get to that area...

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
...I've noticed that it's missing some heat shields that some other Fieros had. I'm wondering if any heat shields were removed as part of the various recalls, or if maybe some where added? Or... maybe they were specific as to whether or not it had a stick shift or not?

Does anyone know if there was any ryme or reason for these changes? They don't seem to be totally year specific from what I can tell...
Thanks,

Phrased a bit more generally than what you observed in your latest post, there are at least two non-production-related reasons for the differences you've observed at the outset of your thread here re the presence or absence of a specific heat shield:
  1. The Fiero may no longer need some particular heat shield where it did previously as a result of a different modification its owner made to it (as was the case with mine after I got ceramic-coated Sprint headers from the Fiero Store for it).
    OR
  2. The Fiero may now need some particular heat shield where it didn't previously as a result of a different modification its owner made to it (as was the case with mine after I got a larger Y-pipe for it which came uncomfortably close to another part).

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock