I finally got one by 1984whitesc
Started on: 12-04-2009 08:17 AM
Replies: 20
Last post by: Fiero1K on 05-08-2010 09:46 PM
1984whitesc

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2009 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescDirect Link to This Post
My brother and I finally got our hands on an 88 standard. This little girl has beechwood interior, 4 cyl, 5 speed, and has 119,000 miles on her. Her frame is rust free. She needs a little work. Her red paint is faded and the clear coat is peeling. Also the clutch slips and there are a few other things to work out. All in all she is a great little car. As soon as I can I will post some pictures. I am excited to learn about this year.
All I have had so far are 84s. If anyone has advice I would greatly appreciate it. Like what to look out for, and what to expect with the suspension. thanks again guys

------------------

Thank for the sig. Bobadoofunk
1984 Fiero Sport Coupe
1990 Buick Reatta
2002 Chevy Impala base

[This message has been edited by 1984whitesc (edited 12-04-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2009 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
It's really not that much different from other years. Your engine components are going to be slightly different as you'll find out. Your oil filter is a in-pan element. It also has DIS ignition. The DIS coils are fairly cheap to replace (I think last time I checked they were $27 from Autozone and the duke uses two). The air cleaner is a slightly different assembly because of a different throttle body. Also even though you have an '88 you still don't have a rear sway bar because 4 cylinder cars did not get them. The only other major thing I can think of is you have different style headlight motors. Pretty much everything else is the same.
av8fiero

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2009 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroDirect Link to This Post
The 88 suspension and brakes are completely different and are quite an upgrade over the earlier fieros offering much improved ride and handling performance. Worn out bushings/ball joints/hub bearings/shocks are what to look out for in the suspension. I would recommend a poly bushing upgrade as it tightens things up nicely without adding too much harshness if you have to replace those parts. As for other things to look for it's pretty much the same as any year Fiero. As always rust is your primary enemy, check the chassis for rust in the trunk and frame rails, and anywhere else you can think of.

[This message has been edited by av8fiero (edited 12-04-2009).]

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2009 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
My 88 duke has over 196,000 miles on it and still runs fine, so you should have many years of fun driving in yours. If you're going to drop the cradle to fix the clutch, you might as well go over everything while have the engine out. You could even replace your timing gears "just in case".

1984whitesc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2009 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescDirect Link to This Post
That's a good idea. The engine does need a deep cleaning. The air cleaner needs a touch up. The interior needs to be stipped and cleaned, because of mice. There are a few wiring issues I need to work out. Someone installed a car alarm system and hacked the wiring under the dash. I think my brother and I (and 88fierocoupe) got it all figured out. I am thinking optomisticly here, I hope to have the engine cleaned and the clutch replaced by the end of this month. That way when spring comes around We can worry about the finer details.
fierogtman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2009 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtmanSend a Private Message to fierogtmanDirect Link to This Post
congrats on the find!
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2009 04:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1984whitesc:

If anyone has advice I would greatly appreciate it. Like what to look out for..

The first thing that i do is make sure all the things that can leave you stranded are taken care of. Pick-up coil, ignition coil, radiator, caps and hoses, thermostat; then the PIA stuff, like heater hoses and core. if you love the car and want to keep on loving it, make sure it's reliable. Nothing says "hate this car" like being broken down all the time.
1984whitesc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2009 05:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescDirect Link to This Post
I know all to well what that is like. I have been stranded many times by my 84. I have even been burned by it starting on fire. Long story lol.
Thanks for the advice. I should have done all of these things you suggest with my other fiero lol.

[This message has been edited by 1984whitesc (edited 12-07-2009).]

concrete

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2009 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for concreteClick Here to visit concrete's HomePageSend a Private Message to concreteDirect Link to This Post
4.9 is calling you remember, the best thing you can do to a cadilac engine is, GET IT OUT OF THE CAR or 3800sc 4.3 3.4 dohc thats all I think about when Ihear 88 coupe just a blank page waiting to be painted nice find!

------------------

88 fiero coupe 4.9 auto
86 2.8 SE proud sponser of lasvegas fiero club

Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2009 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
Congrats, man. Oh and just to let you know, 88 was the year the Fieros went downhill. The suspensions got worse and stuff like that.

1984whitesc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2009 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescDirect Link to This Post
/\ Are you sure lol j/k
I have been driving my lil 84 since 2005, and I have been all over the place. All over WI, all over MN, IA and IL. Then hopping into the 88 even with a bad clutch it had more zing, and the way it drives. The steering seemed to be lighter for some strange reason. I think it might have something to do with the 14" high tech alloy rims, vs the 13" steelies. Man could that little thing handle the curves. I know that the 88's had the tri link suspension design. I have always wondered, did lotus really design it?

I think I might keep this one stock. I would like to hop up a GT some day. I don't see to many coupes around my parts of the woods these days, and the GT's... I see them all the time.

------------------

1984 White Fiero Sport Coupe
1988 Red Fiero Standard Coupe
1990 Black Buick Reatta
2002 White Chevy Impala base

[This message has been edited by 1984whitesc (edited 12-08-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
88fierocoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2009 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88fierocoupeSend a Private Message to 88fierocoupeDirect Link to This Post
If you find my mouse I'd like him back please. He was not part of the deal, lol.
Glad to hear that you're pleased with your new (to you) 88. Keep me updated on the progress.

------------------
Drew

88 Coupe 2.5ltr 5spd
***collecting parts for 383 stroker swap***

1984whitesc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2009 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescDirect Link to This Post
It might be a while before I can do anything. With 13 inches of snow it makes it a little difficult. Sadly I don't have a garage to fix any problems it has.
1984whitesc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2009 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescDirect Link to This Post
I finally got a picture of the girl. It's not the greatest pic because it was taken with my camera phone.

I hope to have a few more soon.
------------------

1984 White Fiero Sport Coupe
1988 Red Fiero Standard Coupe
1990 Black Buick Reatta
2002 White Chevy Impala base

[This message has been edited by 1984whitesc (edited 04-02-2010).]

1984whitesc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2010 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescDirect Link to This Post
Here are some pics of her.

------------------

1984 White Fiero Sport Coupe (Juliet)
1988 Red Fiero Standard Coupe (bella)
1990 Black Buick Reatta (Noir)
2002 White Chevy Impala base(Haylie)

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2010 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I know that the 88's had the tri link suspension design. I have always wondered, did lotus really design it?

Sorry, but people who continue to spread that nonsense are not allowed to own a Fiero. I'll be down to pick up the '88.
1984whitesc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2010 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescDirect Link to This Post
I replaced the clutch with out a hitch and it runs and drives beautifully. She pulls a little to the rights, but I believe that is because of the left rear tire. I could be wrong lol. After driving her for a while i hear a clunk just under the floor board on the drivers side. I thought that the suspension could be the culprit, but everything was tight. Also the wheel wells are secured. Does anyone have any idea what that might be from?

------------------

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2010 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post

After driving her for a while i hear a clunk just under the floor board on the drivers side.... Does anyone have any idea what that might be from?

I found that when running over clowns, they make a funny sound.
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2010 05:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
check for a broken front anti rollbar endlink bolt. They get corroded over time and can break inside the spacer sleeve which wouldnt be seen from a visual inspection

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 05-10-2010).]

1984whitesc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2010 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescDirect Link to This Post
It looks like everything is ok under the car. I checked to see of the coolant tubes are loose, and they were okay as well. I am beginning to think that some bushing might be bad some where.

------------------

Fiero1K

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2010 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1KSend a Private Message to Fiero1KDirect Link to This Post
Did you check the swaybar bushings? They clunk like none other in my dad's sable.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock