Started on: 11-17-2009 11:40 PM
Replies: 29
Last post by: qwikgta on 07-29-2010 10:44 AM
fieromadman

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2009 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
Here is some videos fo my car before I put it away for the winter. Sorry for the crappy quality and ECT. I might take some more tomorrow with a better camera and better lighting. You get the general idea though. The car is on 13.5 PSI with a Turbonetics T-62. I'd like to think that the car is easily over 400 WHP right now, but the tune isn't perfect, and I haven't had it dynoed since it was at 5 psi. On 5 psi it made 320 whp, so yeah. Anyhow, without further ado, here are some pictures and videos from tonight.

Let me know what you guys think!

------------------

180* t-stat, cams, 96-97 intake swap, FFP pulley, A/C Idler, P/S idler, ported exhaust mani's, ported lower intake, sheet metal upper intake, 3" Flowmaster exhaust, EGR delete, K&N filter, Magnecor 8.5mm wires, 36# Injectors, T-62 Turbonetics T3/4, Haltech E6K, Liquid-Air intercooled, Synapse Wastegate. Shooting for 450+whp at 15 psi.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
blkpearl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2009 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blkpearlClick Here to visit blkpearl's HomePageSend a Private Message to blkpearlDirect Link to This Post
Yep, it looks like it probably hauls ass. To bad you had to shut it down so quick. Great job with that car.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2009 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
Awesome... glad to see you decided to post up more over here... great project! Dells next year? Eh? Eh?
fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2009 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
Here's a youtube link to a video I made combining all of those videos. Probably better quality than the photobucket ones... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3kajsYpUg

And what do you mean shut it down so early? I was doing 105+ in the first clip going through first second and third and a little into fourth. The one that was just a third gear pull I was probably doing 100 and well the third out of car one kinda sucked cuz first went up in smoke and then I had the stoplights.

The Dells is a definite maybe... lol

------------------

180* t-stat, cams, 96-97 intake swap, FFP pulley, A/C Idler, P/S idler, ported exhaust mani's, ported lower intake, sheet metal upper intake, 3" Flowmaster exhaust, EGR delete, K&N filter, Magnecor 8.5mm wires, 36# Injectors, T-62 Turbonetics T3/4, Haltech E6K, Liquid-Air intercooled, Synapse Wastegate. Shooting for 450+whp at 15 psi.

[This message has been edited by fieromadman (edited 11-18-2009).]

Fierobsessed

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2009 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
[redneck] My name is Matt, and I too like Fieros. [/redneck]

Nice. I should shoot some video with my 3.4 DOHC. Its a stock engine, but it pulls so hard.

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2009 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
When are you going to post the 'after' videos with the turbo on it?
fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2009 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

When are you going to post the 'after' videos with the turbo on it?

Dude... I'm insulted right now. That was definately with the turbo at 13.5 psi. I understand your car is faster, but wow.
Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post11-18-2009 04:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
I thought the same thing when I heard the video's, your car is very quiet. Aside from that, it looks decently quick. Jnco was giving FieroX a hard time a few months ago, don't worry about it.

[This message has been edited by Emc209i (edited 11-18-2009).]

87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2009 04:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
Trying to figure out how to word this.....you see....what I mean is......how mu.....I know your not suppose to ask....but......how much did your swap cost to get it where it is? I really like this. Seems like enough power to get in trouble but a good driving car also.
Erik

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2009 05:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
sounds wicked ...behaves like my car with the nitrous kicked in
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2009 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
That sounded like an impression by Dave in that video... if so, how's he doing?
PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2009 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieromadman:

Dude... I'm insulted right now. That was definately with the turbo at 13.5 psi. I understand your car is faster, but wow.

I'm just jokin with ya man. I understand the other forum is more the place for that and this is the 'serious' forum but I couldn't resist. I was going to make a comment about how you barely pulled past that car next to you in the 3rd gear vid but I figured the above one had a 'lighter' feel. With regards to EMCs comment, he's right. Fierox is a shitload faster than I am and I still like to bust his balls...

To cheer you up, the car does look like it gets going pretty damn well once the rpms get up there. Also, I noticed you're running about 12.5 AFR in the upper RPMs. Is this your targeted afr, are you running out of fuel, or is it not fully tuned up there? I've heard of people running anywhere from 11.0-12.8 and was just wondering.
fierofury

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2009 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofurySend a Private Message to fierofuryDirect Link to This Post
Very nice! Are you using the 4 or 5 speed?
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2009 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
It's an 87... pretty sure its a Getrag...
fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2009 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
To answer some questions:

The car is pretty quiet, and the BOV is definately not too noticeable in the videos. To give you an idea of how fast the car is... I have a buddy with a dyno prooven 452 WHP Firebird with a 4 link setup and drag radials. He drove my car and said that it was faster on a roll than his car. I have rode in his car and would have to agree.

As for costs on the car... I would say that I have around 5000 into the turbo setup alone. It doesn't help that I don't have a welder and ect, but other than some fabrication, I did everything myself. I didn't go cheap on any of the parts. I would say I have just short of 20k into it overall. And it is enough power to get me in trouble without a doubt. You can be doing 100 without noticing...

Carbon, that was not Dave in the video, that was my friend Tyler. I haven't heard from Dave in over a year I believe.

Jncomutt, This car has a peaky powerband for sure. I wasn't really in the powerband when I started in 3rd next to that car, going too slow. With this engine I could have had about 1000 useable rpms in second when I did that third gear pull. As far as AFR goes, I'm still tuning for weather conditions. When I had it out with warmer air intake temps it was sitting 11.2-12.0 during full boost, sometimes it would even hover in the high 11's (which is what I'm targeting) but last night when I took the videos it was significantly colder and thus, causing it to be a little leaner. It's safe, but I would like to add more fuel. And I don't think I'm running out of fuel, 66lb/hr injectors... so unless the fuel pump can't keep up...

And yes it's a stock getrag 5 speed.

------------------

kwagner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2009 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
Nice! I wish the audio quality was a little better on the vids, I guess I'll just have to hear it in person sometime
ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2009 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Sweet man.
The powerband reminds me of my Talon on race gas or E85 (11.9 @ 118), the way it pulls ferociously in the upper RPM's, difference being that it takes 23psi to do it (heh).

How much wheelspin do you have and under what conditions, and is the Getrag holding up? How hard do you drive it? Launches?

Your turbo setup looks similar to what I designed for my Fiero except I'm using a TGP 3.1/3100 for now, so mine will take a good bit more boost and race gas to put out as much power as yours obviously. I guess I'll know how much once I get the car back, finished, and tuned. I can definitely appreciate all the work that went into that, I only wish I still had the health to complete mine 100% myself.
I think your car probably pulls harder than my twin-turbo IROC-Z also, I estimate about 450whp with that one (when running right, anyway).

Very nice. I've always loved your Fiero's paint, since well before I got my first Fiero.

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 11-18-2009).]

fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2009 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the complements...

I have wheel-spin issues in first whether going straight, or around corners, obviously. Straight isn't SO bad under the right conditions in first, but it's always there. I bought some new tires that arrived a couple days ago that I can't wait to try out, but chances are I'll still have the issue. It's going to be next spring before I get to try those out as it just doesn't pay to put them on before I put the car away for the year. Sometimes I have wheel-spin in second, but that has only really been on cold days and shitty roads. Spinning going INTO second with a quick shift is pretty much always a possibility. I anticipate with the new tires on, second won't be much of an issue.

As for the trans, I can't really comment because I have maybe 400 miles on the car at it's current boost level. So far, so good. I haven't "launched" the car yet like I would at the track because I need to get some better engine mounting sorted out (I knew this long before it became apparent) before I do so. I do shift quickly between gears, however, and it seems to hold up fine. Once I have the engine mount issue sorted out I'm gonna really test the limits of the trans, especially when I take it to the track, because I have a new one waiting to go in.

The powerband in this engine is one that really just begs you to be beat the heck out of it. It pulls SO strong up to rev limit. I'm actually thinking that next spring I'm going to pull some overlap out of the cams to hopefully get some more bottom end. Not that it's a slouch in the bottom end or anything, but at 4500-7200 hang on to yer butt. In the third gear pull in the video, this is made apparent.

------------------

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2009 06:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Cool, thanks for the info. I ask about the trans because mine also has a (FWD) Getrag with a Clutchnet clutch (which is rated for 450hp). I'll be making less off-boost torque (minimizing shock loading is the goal) at the same power levels+ as you in hopes to push the Getrag to hold some serious power (lots of boost).

Yep, that's exactly the powerband my Talon has, from 4500 to 7500 hang on. Even though it's AWD, it has torque-steer in first pretty decently and in second somewhat, but it just grabs and goes like hell. Below 4000 it's pretty pathetic, though, as it's a low compression 2 liter in a car weighing more than a Fiero. The 2.4 I have sitting in the garage should help that a little bit (20% larger).

What tires/size do you have on there now? I put Yokohama S-drive's on my Fiero based on good reviews and in hopes that they'll hold some decent traction on 15-20 psi, but they're 235/17's on the rear so I'm not expecting miracles (like the AWD produces). I've yet to "drive" it more than out of the garage and winched onto a trailer, though.
The pre-88's have lots of rear pro-squat built in, unfortunately, which unloads the rear tires under sudden acceleration. The 88's fixed this among the many other issues, so I'm hoping that mine will be decently tractable under most situations.

Again, thanks for the info (and videos).
fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2009 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I know what you mean about the all wheel drive dsm's. I had a 95 GSX up till a few months ago. It was modded and had some of the same characteristics that you are talking about with yours, but had less power for sure (still had the stock 14b turbo on it from the 6-bolt swap).

The tires I have on there now are 235/40/18 falken fk451's. They are a decent tire, but nothing too aggressive. I have had them for 4 years now, granted I haven't put too many miles on them... their down to the wear bar in the rear though.

------------------

180* t-stat, cams, 96-97 intake swap, FFP pulley, A/C Idler, P/S idler, ported exhaust mani's, ported lower intake, sheet metal upper intake, 3" Flowmaster exhaust, EGR delete, K&N filter, Magnecor 8.5mm wires, 66# Injectors, T-62 Turbonetics T3/4, Haltech E6K, Liquid-Air intercooled, Synapse Wastegate. Shooting for 450+whp at 15 psi.

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2009 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Oh wow, sounds like new tires might help you out a lot in that case. Keep us posted.

I finally started my build thread if you care to follow...
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/078498.html
PFF
System Bot
fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2009 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
I'll keep you posted int eh spring, the car just got all tucked away for winter saturday
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2009 03:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but why would the car be running lean in cold weather?

You have an intake air temp sensor to compensate?

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 11-23-2009).]

fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2009 05:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
Yes but my Haltech has a map that you can adjust for how much fuel is added vs air temp. I didnt spend much time with that. Also, I don't think it was lean. Before I put it away I noticed that it goes up to about 12.5 between shifts and that was when it was doing it in the video.
TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXDirect Link to This Post
Hey, madman! A buddy of mine told me that he saw some crazy fast blue Fiero cruising Highway 100. I described your paint job to him and he was like, "Yeah! Thats the one!" Could we be right? Do you ever take your car out to highway? It would be awesome to run into you out there! Well, not literally of course... You know what I mean!

------------------
"He took my stapler. I could burn this building down."

Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
Very cool fiero..... Looks like it hauls major butt too.... nicely done and the install looks very well done. Bravo!! peace

Pete
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2010 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post
madman, since I'm sure ill never get enough money for an LS3 swap, im looking into doing a turbo on my 96 DOHC. my question is about the ECM and wiring. Adding the turbo is not the issue, but what ECM are you running, and what did yhou have to do in the computer/ecm/harness dept.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

------------------

88 Coupe, CJB T-TOP, 1996 3.4 DOHC and a GT clip

HausFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroDirect Link to This Post
Very cool. Jw, how much does the 3.4 dohc weigh in comparison to the stock 2.8? How bout a 3800?

Not sure cuz on one hand it's all aluminum, but on the other hand it's got 4 cams so it's pretty big
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post
Can't help with the weight, but I will say the HEADs weigh a freekin TON.

Rob
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post

qwikgta

4659 posts
Member since Jan 2001
dp

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 07-29-2010).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay