Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  The battery is ugly so has anyone fitted a battery box in factory location.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

The battery is ugly so has anyone fitted a battery box in factory location. by Australian
Started on: 11-16-2009 03:12 AM
Replies: 14
Last post by: Stubby79 on 10-08-2010 09:34 AM
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2009 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I notice that the most suitable battery boxes are 400l x 250h x 230 wide. seems about 25mm too high for the decklid grilles.
Have you fitted a battery box if so what brand any pics.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
joesfiero

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2009 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post
Not sure about the battery box in the stock location, but if you are tired of looking at it you might try a relocation to up front under the spare tire. I am in the process of doing it right now and its been pretty easy using V8 Archies box. I think it was like $45 (+ shipping to Aus might get a little pricey).

In the end, my battery can be up front out of sight, still have use of the spare tire, and now I have a nice clean spot where the battery was to put my PCM and coil pack for the 3800sc.

-Joe
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2009 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
If you do not want to see it at all, under the passenger headlight is the trick.
FastFieros

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 265
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2009 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post
Front mount location is popular on many of my swaps.

Check out the engine bays at http://www.fastfieros.com/projects

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2009 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I am going to do a duel battery i have already run 4 guage to the front thru a pvc pipe under the car. I wanted to run another battery as i may run some high powered devices and already have fan set on ignition not thru thermostat always worried about not starting.
I need to buy a duel battery isolator so i can charge them both but i dont want to see the wires i was thinking my backup could be small but wanted to keep original location but cover it up. I know there are cover plates on BMWs and many other cars but i want a box preferably eg caravan battery box with strap as well as some nice stainless steel ones.
joesfiero

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2009 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post
Well, it is doable, if you are going with a dual battery, put the stock one up front and the smaller one (with a box) in the stock location. However, you could also put the one under the spare tire area and one under the left headlight as previously mentioned. Then both would be up front out of sight. Just a thought.

If you do decide to put the smaller battery in the stock location why not just take some sheet metal and make your own box? If you can get some thin gauge aluminum sheet you can make a nice looking box yourself with a dremel and then polish it to almost a mirror finish.

-Joe
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2009 06:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by joesfiero:

If you do decide to put the smaller battery in the stock location why not just take some sheet metal and make your own box? If you can get some thin gauge aluminum sheet you can make a nice looking box yourself with a dremel and then polish it to almost a mirror finish.

-Joe

Well i am a plumber by trade so i can build one but i havent got a folding machine so hard to do without right tools. I cant really decide where i want the batteries i guess i should move them both up front i will think a bit about this i was just wanting to cover the battery but i will swap motors so perhaps i should get it out of the way.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2009 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
The best way I have found to bend mild steel is to score a line down the bend line with a cut off disk on the angle grinder. Just thin the metal a little along the line that you want to bend. Then you can pretty much bend it by hand or just sandwich it in the vise between a couple of pieces of angle iron so that the bend line it just above the angle iron and bend it over. Then finish off with a hammer to tighten the bend up. Finally I run a weld bead down the inside just to strengthen it.
I've done all my battery boxes that way and it works fine.

My battery box design for the front (click for bigger ver):

Hole in the tub.I cut about an inch of the cross member out so the box can sit above the torsion bar and a little further forward and there's no need to put a step in the bottom of the box, it basically sits just above the torsion bar:

Side view of box without sides:

Test fitting in the tub (sides not on yet):

You can use any number of battery hold downs. I weld a rod to the lower front of the box for the lip on the battery to sit under and use the stock Fiero battery hold down rubber block screwed into a nut welded underneath the box. Basically the same setup as the stock Fiero battery hold down.

I actually mount the battery facing forwards with the terminals passing through a couple of holes cut in the front of the box. I 'line' the holes with a 1/4 inch or so sliver of PVC pipe glued in place and put a piece of plastic sheet or something glued to the front of the box to avoid shorts when installing the battery.

I also install a battery cutoff switch on the front cross member so that I can disconnect the battery easily without having to fumble around the front trying to undo screws.

This setup lets the spare sit in pretty much the stock location.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

[This message has been edited by ltlfrari (edited 11-18-2009).]

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2010 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Thought id bump this post as aware about making a bracket for under the tire. I am thinking about a battery box that sits low enough to still put the grills over. I have found a dual battery isolator on ebay for $36 delivered so just need a small battery to run the fan and spot lights when engine is running so have pretty much stock load on my ignition and a back up to help start.

Decided to put second battery in boot.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 10-04-2010).]

Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2010 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
I made my own battery tray out of stainless, and relocated my battery to the rear trunk area. I still have to fasten it down, but it's working well there.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2010 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
This isn't a bad idea. If someone DID mount a battery box in the factory location, on top of the factory bracket (under the passenger side engine vent) would this cause any issues?

Does the battery NEED venthilation?

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

PFF
System Bot
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2010 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
The factory plastic battery shield covers the side of the battery. Or you could get an red top Optima, they look cool and go with the stock engine color.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2010 04:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I may have found something to fit i will order one and let you know if i didn't have to chop the bottom out of it or could use it at all in stock location otherwise will use it somewhere else.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2010 05:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

Does the battery NEED venthilation?

Yes even "sealed" batteries should have some type of vent.
Stubby79

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2010 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post
I don't know what your specific battery looks like, but the battery in mine is just a pretty little black box in the corner of the engine bay. It's smooth all over - even the handle sinks in and looks like part of it - with rounded corners and a barely visible seam around the top. If it wasn't for the label on the side or the wires coming off the side of it, you'd not know it was the battery. Perhaps you just have a particularly ugly battery? or maybe black isn't your color?
The little plastic wall/headshield thing beside the battery is the ugly part, if you ask me!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock