Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Notchbacks with wrap around spoilers. Lets see yours (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Notchbacks with wrap around spoilers. Lets see yours by FieroMonkey
Started on: 10-22-2009 01:59 AM
Replies: 41
Last post by: Raydar on 11-23-2010 05:23 PM
FieroMonkey

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyDirect Link to This Post
I have a white T-Top Formula I would love to put a wrap around spoiler on.

It would be great to see some shots of yours and know where you got yours and how you mounted it.

price would also be nice if you can share.

so lets see them!

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Looks pretty cool! Almost an IMSA Indy combo! Nice!
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post

------------------

Check out my build!
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 04:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I do prefer these wrap around spoilers i will request fastback pics too dont want to hijack thread i just would like to see them too..
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
I bought mine from Doug at Fiero Warehouse. www.fierowarehouse.com
18th item down on this list: http://www.ovis.net/~dmkfiero/fiberglassparts.html
The quality is excellent from them.
From the website:

WRAP AROUND REAR SPOILER:
The Wrap Around Rear Spoiler is constructed of fiberglass and designed to provide an attractive and functional addition to any Fiero, except 1986 thru 1988 Fastback bodies. The spoiler fits directly on the stock Fiero rear deck and provides aerodynamic down force on the rear of the car at high speeds. This results in improved traction and handling stability. $400

Here are pics of mine:

Here's one when I had the Indy Scoop:

Mine is bolted on and I used some small rubber pads about 1/16" thick at the mounting points. The reason for this is to leave a small gap so water doesn't pool on the decklid. Some folks have had them glassed in, but pooling water can be an issue.

Jncomutt's IMSA spoiler that was glassed on:

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

ZZ4 Powered !!

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 10-22-2009).]

topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post
Here is/was mine:

Strongest running 2.8 I have ever driven. Parted it out, for the most part, rust finally got this one. Was my turbo test car, built 3 or 4 different turbo set ups on it.
SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Direct Link to This Post
The first & orignal with Freds. Mine is actually mounted slightly off center being the first try at this type of spoiler on a Fiero. Rick B

Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post

ZZ4 TPI V8 up on wheel dollies under wraps in my garage waiting for me to finish install of B pillar speakers and a different radio, clean the interior and reinstall the seats.
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Here's a different wrap around

Arn
OHNIKO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKODirect Link to This Post
nice..i have one too to install on a dew decklid ...any tips on installing one/lessons learned?
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
The OE screws are usually rusted to bits so stainless screws are in order. Getting the screw holes lined up is the trick. If you screw in some 2" screws into the holes and then set the spoiler down on the deck lid, on the screws, you can mark the locations fairly easily if you put masking tape on the decklid ahead of it.

Also, the gaskets may be shot. You may want to fab some new ones.

Arn
PFF
System Bot
fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
I have one for sale. Its one that was made by the Fibersmith a few years back and I was going to use it on my car, but as some of you know I ended up going a different direction. Ill take $200+ shipping for it. It is made to mold in, and is made of pretty thick fiberglass. I will get some pictures up later.
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:

Mine is bolted on and I used some small rubber pads about 1/16" thick at the mounting points. The reason for this is to leave a small gap so water doesn't pool on the decklid. Some folks have had them glassed in, but pooling water can be an issue.

I did the same and would suggest the same.
87 REGISTRY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87 REGISTRYSend a Private Message to 87 REGISTRYDirect Link to This Post

poor man version
Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleDirect Link to This Post
87 Registry...what car is that off of?
Also, do you have some more pics of that install?

I too am a poor man and cant really afford the Fierowarehouse version which I recall is around $400.
And no, I dont want to go the fiberglass route.

Kit
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
That is the Sundance spoiler. $25 at any U-pull wrecking yard. They fit amazingly well and appear stock

Arn
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:
That is the Sundance spoiler. $25 at any U-pull wrecking yard. They fit amazingly well and appear stock

Arn

yup - that is what I am doing with mine right now.
I plan on filling the 3 open spots tho, so it is actually functional
mafv8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mafv8Send a Private Message to mafv8Direct Link to This Post
Here's mine I picked up the spoiler at the 25th

------------------
84SE, aero body, 4 speed and an injected 355 V8

87 REGISTRY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87 REGISTRYSend a Private Message to 87 REGISTRYDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

87 Registry...what car is that off of?
Also, do you have some more pics of that install?

I too am a poor man and cant really afford the Fierowarehouse version which I recall is around $400.
And no, I dont want to go the fiberglass route.

Kit

Dodge Shadow - paid $25 for it at the local yard. Install is very easy. Just lay it on the deck lid - mark the spots to drill the holes for the stock bolts and screws - attach and you are done. Took me about 10 min, to do. The spoiler does not match the flow of the deck exactly so you might want to put a slightly thicker gasket in to take up the space but that is the only real issue. It took me longer to get the courage up to drill into my best deck lid then to do the whole thing.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Arn

Yup, I check my pick a part yard for one everytime I go. One day I will find one and it will make it's way onto my Fiero.
FieroMonkey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the pics. Some really nice examples. I love the one glassed in. I would deal with the pooling water if it looked that nice on my decklid. Will probably have to go with a bolt on for mine.

My search goes on for a spoiler for my formula.

That dodge shadow spoiler would have been made for the fiero if only it were about 1 and 1/2 inch wider on both sides. Still looks great as it is though.
PFF
System Bot
wikid_one

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wikid_oneSend a Private Message to wikid_oneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:

Jncomutt's IMSA spoiler that was glassed on:

That is now my car. I had to do away with that because I couldn't stand the water not draining. That car also had a Mustang scoop on the decklid, so any time you hit the brakes or backed up all the water got dumped on the engine. Here it is now:

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMonkey:

That dodge shadow spoiler would have been made for the fiero if only it were about 1 and 1/2 inch wider on both sides. Still looks great as it is though.

Actually it is a perfect fit on the 85 GT. The notch in the top of the spoiler lines up exactly with the seam between the lid and the fender. It looks factory once it is on the car.

Arn
FieroMonkey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyDirect Link to This Post
I thought the front edges on 87 REGISTRY's car looked too far away from the bottom edge of the notch back clip where it swoops down to meet the decklid line. Still looks good though in my opinion.

But on wikid_one 's they seem to meet it perfectly. Are the shadow spoilers flexible? i mean, can you bend them slightly to get the front edges of the spoiler to meet the edge of the notch back clip? or is it just an illusion of the pic you posted wikid_one. looks pretty nice.

wikid_one i sent you a PM and email question

[This message has been edited by FieroMonkey (edited 10-23-2009).]

87 REGISTRY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87 REGISTRYSend a Private Message to 87 REGISTRYDirect Link to This Post

Actually it is a perfect fit on the 85 GT. The notch in the top of the spoiler lines up exactly with the seam between the lid and the fender. It looks factory once it is on the car.

Arn

I agree. If it was any wider it wouldn't fit. I guess it could be just a tad wider at the rear of the car. I wish that it was an inch or so longer on the two arms and that they came to more of a point rather then being rounded on the end. But for $25 and ten minuets of work no other part of the car has ever gotten more attention then the spoiler has.
FieroMonkey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87 REGISTRY:

I agree. If it was any wider it wouldn't fit. I guess it could be just a tad wider at the rear of the car. I wish that it was an inch or so longer on the two arms and that they came to more of a point rather then being rounded on the end. But for $25 and ten minuets of work no other part of the car has ever gotten more attention then the spoiler has.

no doubt. for $25.00 you can not beat it with a stick!
wikid_one

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wikid_oneSend a Private Message to wikid_oneDirect Link to This Post
I think it is just the angle of the picture. I don't like that picture anyways because it shows off my crappy first paint job . Lets give this one a try and see if it look any different to you.

FieroMonkey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyDirect Link to This Post
still looks like a good fit. Not sure what you mean about the paint. looks nice to me. wish I had the gravitas to paint a car myself.
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mafv8:

Here's mine I picked up the spoiler at the 25th

Wow, that's a great looking clean car!

Nolan
wikid_one

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wikid_oneSend a Private Message to wikid_oneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMonkey:

still looks like a good fit. Not sure what you mean about the paint. looks nice to me. wish I had the gravitas to paint a car myself.

I'm not complaining too much about it since it was a first try with a completely incorrect gun. I didn't do a good job of spraying clear on the edges of the panels. If you look at the first image, you can see white where wax and polishing compound has become permanently stuck to the decklid. If i try and take it off then the paint comes with it.
Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wikid_one:

I think it is just the angle of the picture. I don't like that picture anyways because it shows off my crappy first paint job . Lets give this one a try and see if it look any different to you.

I like it!!
The Sundance/Shadow spoiler looks "good" from the side but looks "great" from behind!

Will be searching the local Pick-N-Pull's this weekend for one.....wish me luck!

Kit
PFF
System Bot
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2009 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

I like it!!
The Sundance/Shadow spoiler looks "good" from the side but looks "great" from behind!

Will be searching the local Pick-N-Pull's this weekend for one.....wish me luck!

Kit

Good Luck!

I stopped by one today and found it. WOOHOO I GOT ONE!! I've checked the local one several times. I went down to Salt Lake City to a different one. Last time I'll go to that place... The spoiler was $37.99, not bad. I also grabbed a seatbelt to add to our rear seat in the Bonneville. That way our 4 children each will have there own lap belt. The belt was $15.99... WTF? Damn me for being honest!! I coulda put that in my tool bag that they didn't bother to check on my way out! Yeah well, I wouldn't have done that anyways /sigh. Then to top it all off, while they had the spoiler (Yay!) they didn't have one single Fiero in that whole yard... Or a TA, which I'd like to get the vents from for the front fenders.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 10-24-2009).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2009 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Khw

11139 posts
Member since Jun 2008
Well since I don't see any pictures showing how the spoiler lines up wth the trunk, I thought I'd post some.

The thing I noticed is this spoiler has a groove in it along the edge of the color division. This groove actually lines up suprisingly well with the edges of the deck lid.

Passenger side.

Driver side.

I had to drill a few holes in the bottom of the deck lid to gain access to the spoiler studs. Once mounted there is a little bit of space here and there that could maybe use a 1/16" neoprene gasket to fill. I'm going to pick some up and try it. Preliminary test fit looks okay though.

Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2009 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Kit, if you don't have any luck up there, come on down. I saw several of those last weekend down here. I used to have a car with one of these on it too. They look and fit great!

------------------

My Fiero eBay listings

Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2010 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post
The Dodge Shadow Wing is a very good fit for the fiero. Many people thought it was stock when I had mine installed.

------------------

Found a 88 formula Waiting to get a fence so I can re-home it
There are Two kinds of Fiero's : Notchies and Donors!

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2010 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Do they cause more turbulence of wind in the back end? The solid ones, not so much the Shadow's.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 11-23-2010).]

RULOOKIN

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2010 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
Freshj

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2010 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FreshjSend a Private Message to FreshjDirect Link to This Post
doublec4, you have probably my all time favorite notchie. Makes me want one again. I used to have a similar 86SE and loved it.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2010 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post
I've installed a spoiler from a '92 Lumina on my '84. It's quite subtle, and I've purposely mounted it quite far back so that it actually hangs over the rear edge of the decklid quite a bit. Have a look at the car Here on the autocross track.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-23-2010).]

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2010 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
mine

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock