Speed Shifting a Fiero by Dflint
Started on: 09-30-2009 01:53 AM
Replies: 12
Last post by: Australian on 08-15-2010 05:30 AM
Dflint

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2009 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DflintSend a Private Message to DflintDirect Link to This Post
Could Speed Shifting a Fiero Be Done?

------------------
Dflint24...85 SE

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2009 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
I am assuming you mean clutchless shift? When I had to hobbel my baby home due to a slave failure I was able to get my fiero in and out of 3rd without using my clutch i just had to get my RPM's exactley right to do so. As far as other gears I have never tried it. im assuming yes if you got the RPM's right i used to do this in my old crane truck and that thing as long as you were at the right RPM's while moving you never needed the clutch. but my view on it is if the clutch is there than use it.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2009 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
yes it can be done but..... Say goodbye to your flywheel, selectors and selector cable you cant strain parts like this.

I have driven and still do on occasion as my slave cylinder and master always stuff up.
I have a new steel bracket on my slave but a common problem is the cast alloy original snaps and often it snaps staying in tact and inspections don't pick it up just to have movement on occasion. I have recified this with my car but still need a new master or slave rebuild at present to do which i will worry about after i finish my paintjob.

Any car bike will shift gears without a perfect clutch but you still need to do the actions of at least releasing it even if it doesnt grip.
Sundowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2009 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SundownerSend a Private Message to SundownerDirect Link to This Post
Yep and it's isn't all that hard to do (at least in a duke) - Had to make one or two trips that way when my pressure plate got lunched. Hardest part is actually shutting the motor off at a red light and starting the car back up in 1st gear when it goes green again. Basically time your shifts just right and be GENTLE with the shifter - don't force it, it'll slip into gear when it's ready.

Didn't break anything though.

[This message has been edited by Sundowner (edited 09-30-2009).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2009 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Clutchless shifting on a synchronized tranny, is not really perfect rev-matching.
It's actually the synchro's that will then do the job of the clutch to match up the gears. It wears down the synchro's quickly.

Speed shifting, is just shifting faster, right? (with the incredibly long throw of a stock gear selector stick it's really hard)
HausFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2010 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroDirect Link to This Post
Short shifter is an easy answer.

I like this idea tho

I think since it lines up ur shift patterns for ya it might make it a little easier/faster

[This message has been edited by HausFiero (edited 08-14-2010).]

Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2010 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
speed shift?...ofcourse you can...as long as your syncros are in order...clutchless shift?...yes you can clutchless shift anything. I've had to hobble home a couple cars due to clutch pedal problems etc.

------------------
Cliff's 610th Positive Feedback Giver.
#12 NYFOC Member
In recent times, the custom aftermarket car/automobile roadwheel has become a status symbol. These wheels are often incorrectly referred to as "rims". The term "rim" is incorrect because the rim is only the outer portion of a wheel (where the tire is mounted )

Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2010 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Sure can, just be willing to say by by to lots of money and time if you get it wrong. I for one would not risk it, I'd rather be driving than rebuilding.

------------------
[IMG]

trueleo.com
RSpiderII@aol.com

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2010 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HausFiero:

I like this idea tho

I think since it lines up ur shift patterns for ya it might make it a little easier/faster

I am afraid it wont really work. If you want a gate shifter best make it a replica https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/082245.html
as you need a gear box with no play.

mooseinabox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2010 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mooseinaboxSend a Private Message to mooseinaboxDirect Link to This Post

I like this idea tho

What are these called, and can you put them on a Fiero?
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2010 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/082245.html
The are called a gate shifter the above is a lamborghini gate shifter and no they cant be used on a fiero. But if you click the above link you will see my design based on a F355 which still doesn't work because it is a replica that will sit in place and not interfere with your gearbox and still look good.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 08-14-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
HausFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2010 02:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/082245.html
The are called a gate shifter the above is a lamborghini gate shifter and no they cant be used on a fiero. But if you click the above link you will see my design based on a F355 which still doesn't work because it is a replica that will sit in place and not interfere with your gearbox and still look good.

I don't see why one "wouldn't work". If u made a custom one for the paths ur stick travels to shift into a gear I don't see what wouldn't work about it
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2010 05:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

I don't see why one "wouldn't work". If u made a custom one for the paths ur stick travels to shift into a gear I don't see what wouldn't work about it

It wont work because the gears are so close together that there wouldn't be any metal between them. If you get an ice cream lid and start to make it you will see why i came up with my design instead. As you just end up with a 35mm x 50mm hole. The gear stick doesn't allow anything to be left between the gears. I spent a bit of time on this.

ferrari replica f355 which inspired my design.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 08-15-2010).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock