Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Does anyone have a flip down LCD with a sunroof?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Does anyone have a flip down LCD with a sunroof? by Australian
Started on: 09-23-2009 08:19 AM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Australian on 10-04-2010 06:53 AM
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2009 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageClick Here to Email AustralianSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have a flip down LCD with a sunroof? I just pulled out my roof liner etc but looking at the centre light and thinking of either modifying it or buying a roof mounted lcd screen problem is.... the 10.5" = 250mm all over gap between windscreen and sunroof edge. Looking on ebay a 8.9" screen requires about 275mm they seem to be smallest and cheapest 1" or 25mmish too long anyone got perhaps a 7" installed up there.

Now a 8.9 inch might fit if cut gutted glassed up etc mainly removing or relocating the light panel and tidied it up to look like something made in a factory. Not sure if keen to go to those efforts but then again i could do it in a day but too many other projects. This is more of a something to look at fiero related late at night thinking what can can't be done thing to do not hell bent on idea.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2009 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
I was going the same route as you by putting a 14" screen in.
Though it looked very good, It caused a HUGE blind spot!!!! Like I could not see anything around the pass. front.
I ended up with a 4" screen in the mirror, MUCH better! So when off, the screen turns into a rear view mirror. double duty!!
sorry no pics as of yet....
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2009 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

I was going the same route as you by putting a 14" screen in.
Though it looked very good, It caused a HUGE blind spot!!!!

I don't think you would want to be driving with a 14" flip down screen in plain view of the driver...unless you wanted a massive ticket.

I have 7" screens in my visors. They work great and I can flip them out of the way when driving.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2009 05:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageClick Here to Email AustralianSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I found you can get the rearview mirrors for about $100 delivered. I'd really prefer wireless on this as it is on the windscreen
I could do with new visors and have seen those for about $100 ea also before. Most have dvd players id just want screens.
I had an interest in mainly the flip down as i thought i could replace the light same time but havent done anything with deck yet.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2009 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

I could do with new visors and have seen those for about $100 ea also before. Most have dvd players id just want screens.

You can get them with just screens too

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2009 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
yeah JScott has some nice ones ( for his kid to play video games on at the shows )lol

I guess it all comes down to what you expect to view with the screen. Like a movie or video, I would mount a nice size screen in the dash area. I am using mine for the cameras front and rear. I just needed to easily view it WHILE DRIVING. Being a rear view mirror it fit the bill very well! If I was to sit,PARKED, then yeah I would get a larger screen so I could watch it easier.

The flip down has the "wow" factor, but it stills depends on your viewing pleasure!

I have even heard of people buying an old video game console that has a screen in it and tearing it apart for just the screen.

Keep looking , you will find a nice set up that will work for ya!!
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2009 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageClick Here to Email AustralianSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I found a few that will fit just got to decide what i want.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2009 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

I have even heard of people buying an old video game console that has a screen in it and tearing it apart for just the screen.

Keep looking , you will find a nice set up that will work for ya!!

I have a couple of those (PS1s) but it's more trouble than it's worth to me.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2009 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTClick Here to Email IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
Enjoy....just browse around for all your needs

http://www.mp3playerstore.com/
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2010 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageClick Here to Email AustralianSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

You can get them with just screens too

Anyone else got these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...&hash=item19bfe6449a
I assume you had to lose the original center console as i am doing a bit of measuring right now.
Seems stock length on visors is 390mm the fieros measure that to the end of rod (so wont fit keeping console without mods)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...&hash=item3cb13ea0df
I found a 9 inch screen on a flip down center console 308mm x 172 it will fit but not with sun visors because it is so wide.

Basically you can't have a flip down center screen with a sunroof with stock visors as are too long wondering about shortening mine as option. what cars have either short visors or what cars have small roof consoles to use a roof screen.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2010 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageClick Here to Email AustralianSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...&hash=item3cb13ea0df
I found a 9 inch screen on a flip down center console 308mm x 172 it will fit but not with sun visors because it is so wide.

If the screen was cut out from this unit and back of it dremeled flat it could fit over the stock 1.5 din radio slot wondering how tidy it could be done.

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock