mera by Ethan19
Started on: 08-27-2009 04:29 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: 328 mera on 06-01-2010 04:09 AM
Ethan19

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ethan19Send a Private Message to Ethan19Direct Link to This Post
do they make the mera kit anymore? what is the history behind this fiero. can i get my hands on a kit to do this to my car? lots of questions haha am i in the right spot of the forum to ask these kind of questions? thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Ethan19

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ethan19Send a Private Message to Ethan19Direct Link to This Post
i guess that answers a hand full of questions. can someone supply some links for complete kits (other than v8 archie) for the fiero. i'm interested to see what else can be done with these little cars thanks again
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
I don't know of anyone in the states that create the 308 kit anymore. Ferrari lawyers cracked down on many makers of Ferrari kit cars.

Do know that all other non-Mera 308 replica kits in existence were 'splashed' from a Mera. Basically what that means is that there are two types of 'Mera's' so to speak - there's the real deal that have a very limited number, and then there are the multitude of kit cars out there created by copying the Mera directly. When you think about it it was the easiest kit car to make because you were already taking a design that fit to the stock Fiero chassis. In your search you're likely going to come across many 308/328 kit car bodies that were created by taking molds from a Mera and then pulling fiberglass from them.
Ethan19

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ethan19Send a Private Message to Ethan19Direct Link to This Post
i wish i could find something similar that i could mysellf but my search isnt bringing up anything
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
E-mail sent
Ethan19

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2009 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ethan19Send a Private Message to Ethan19Direct Link to This Post
i replied to your email i'm not sure if it sent properly(i'm not real computer savy) if you didnt receive an email from fierosailor@gmail.com it didnt send and please tell me if it didnt and i will try again thank you very much
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2009 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ethan19:

i guess that answers a hand full of questions. can someone supply some links for complete kits (other than v8 archie) for the fiero. i'm interested to see what else can be done with these little cars thanks again

http://pisafierohq.com/
mid engine monsters

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2009 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mid engine monstersSend a Private Message to mid engine monstersDirect Link to This Post
i have some questions as well from the experts, i have heard over the years that none were sold in kit form,but a man i worked for in the early 90s ,could have been 90 and 91 brought two crated bodies in to our shop marked as meras from somone in canada that supposedly worked for bob or around his employees or something like that ,he arranged shipping from somewhere up north in the states,once they came across the border.
one was put together by us on a 88 formula for the pontiac dealer in mobile alabama,we did convertable conversions and t-top installs and convertable looking tops on cadillacs for the same dealer ,the car was on display around the area for a while ,at the dealer ,in the airport in mobile for a little bit.i dont know what happened to the other body ,the dealer shipped it somewhere else ,is it possible it was just supposed to be hush hush,or were they trying to complete an obligation for someone or a friend deal or of course they could have been copies.anybody ever hear any rumors about real ones in kit form being held somewhere ?
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2009 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
I know that there were some parts left over after production was shut down, but do not know exactly what was made available to the kit market (with the exception of the Mera tail lights). I also have heard some rumors that one or two vehicles may have been assembled from miscellaneous spare parts but have no confirmation. I have seen one vehicle that looked like a Mera but had no Mera serial number and the VIN did not show up on the Mera Registry. Maybe Rodney can chime in on this subject.

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 09-04-2009).]

mid engine monsters

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2009 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mid engine monstersSend a Private Message to mid engine monstersDirect Link to This Post
i knew of the law suits at the time,or rumors of them happening and figured it must have been the reason for silence if they were real (i dont blame them) , with as much difference as there was in the real 308 and the mera,i honestly thought the suits didnt stand a chance . aftermarket body parts ,grills ,etc were running rampant with small changes to appease the laws.
i worked for a guy in the aftermarket parts business that would take higher price items and high demand items abd shipped them to china for the tong yang group and many others to reverse engineer or reproduce the items for resale here and we were threatened with lawsuits regularly that didnt go anywhere,so i thought they would have been ok,i guess ferrari has a little law suit money
PFF
System Bot
Russ544

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2009 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post
here is an original Mera for sale with some info on it:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...trksid=p4506.c0.m245

As far as "other kits". my IMSA is also on E-bay now. I've posted lots of pictures there you can see what they look like when properly built.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...trksid=p4506.c0.m245
Russ544 (aka imsa-pbody)
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
I might have a "FRANKEN-MERA" some things don't jive on my car like miss match louvered sails and no power mirror wires to mirrors. the mystery deepens dun,dun, duah!!
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2009 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
I read that C.C. stopped production under THREAT of law suit. quit while ahead sort of mentality. any truth to this??
any body got ideas on how to find if my Mera body came off a different car?? oh, that does not cost $50 through Pontiac Historical Service?? I can't pay $50 for the bad news. I would for the good news! and the build #.
Fiero-in-Paradise

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2009 06:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-in-ParadiseSend a Private Message to Fiero-in-ParadiseDirect Link to This Post
It was not an idle threat. In 1987, Ferrari filed a suit against Corporate Concepts. They decided to settle out of court. This was their public release at the time:

MERA PRODUCTION TERMINATED UNDER CONSENT DEGREE WITH FERRARI

Detroit, Michigan (June 1, 1988) -- Corporate Concepts Limited announced today that it will promptly cease production of its "Mera" automobile body conversion under a consent decree it has entered into with Ferrari S.p.A to settle the trademark infrigement suit that Ferrari filed after the Mera was introduced. Ferrari's suit in the Federal District Court in Port Huron sought a permanent injunction against the Mera, alleging that its body and exterior appearance was a simulation of the Ferrari 308 and 328 automobiles. The consent decree provides for the production of a small number of additional Meras during a short phase-out period. (RELEASE ANY TIME)

I vaguely remember reading someplace where as part of the consent decree, all of CC's original modes had to be witnessed/destroyed by running over them with a bulldozer, or something like that. I'd wager, however, that at least some of the remaining unused panels went "underground" to give birth to the 308 Kit Car.

Tom
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2009 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
morning all, Tom, do you know when C.C. started production of the Meras?? late '86 early '87. like the month?? if they stopped around june/july 1988. this info will help me create a formula to help quantify the # of Meras possible to build in said time frame. I think I found in the archives that they "buy through" produce Meras like one at a time from a pool of built Fieros. so I want to find a pattern of Vin # compared to Mera build numbers in this time frame. also trying to average the number of Meras built per month. seein that my vin is so low 1G2PF119XHP209384, I like to feel that I have a very early prod. Mera that would be great on a MI plate
"MERA 2". and this fact would explain a lot of the "BUGS" that I find that may have been worked out like the switch to the better '88 frame. sorry so long/incorherant. its early. need coffee. hit me back if you can decode this post. I am not sure of what question is being asked above maybe you can decode this gibberish?? later
Dan
gem1138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2009 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gem1138Send a Private Message to gem1138Direct Link to This Post
gem1138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2009 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gem1138Send a Private Message to gem1138Direct Link to This Post

gem1138

631 posts
Member since Aug 2007
I don’t see much at their site right now but I got their hard copy catalogue last spring and it has a bunch of kits:

Ferrari 328 GTS
Ferrari 355
Ferrari F40
Lamborghini Countach
Lamborghini Diablo VT

Also there are scoops, spoilers and wings.
328 mera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2010 04:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 328 meraSend a Private Message to 328 meraDirect Link to This Post

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock