Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Before-and-After Pictures for a Stock-Roofed Versus a V8-Archie-Chopped-Top Fiero?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Before-and-After Pictures for a Stock-Roofed Versus a V8-Archie-Chopped-Top Fiero? by project34
Started on: 05-06-2009 09:14 PM
Replies: 21
Last post by: SMTHGT on 09-21-2010 09:12 PM
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2009 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post
Does anyone have "Before-and-After" pictures that clearly highlight the outside profile difference between a Fiero with a standard roof, versus a Fiero with a V-8 Archie chopped top?

In my on-line searches on Pennock's Fiero Forum, I've found many pictures of chopped-top Fieros, but so far have found only one set --- that without any extraneous distractions --- which clearly highlights the profile differences between a Fiero with a standard roof, versus a Fiero with a V-8 Archie chopped-top roof.

The other pictures I've found typically make it very difficult to clearly see those differences for one reason or another (e.g., because of zero side-by-side, "Before" pics, or the stock-roofed car shown has been lowered substantially, but the chopped-roof one has not).

Can anyone post "Before-and-After" (or "After-and-Before") pictures that clearly highlight the profile differences between a Fiero with a standard roof versus a Fiero with a V-8 Archie chopped top?

So far, I've found on this forum only one set of pictures (posted by ryan.hess) that does that, and I've reproduced them here from page 6 of madcurl's, multi-page, General Fiero Chat thread titled, "Choptop Galloria.....post it here:"

If anyone else has similarly illustrative "Before-and-After" pics --- or, as in the case I've pictured, "After-and-Before" pics to post re a V-8 Archie chopped-top Fiero --- that would be greatly appeciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2009 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
You might find a few (not in the same location) in the "What's Up at Archie's" thread. I would start in the beginning (it's a whole lotta pages).

------------------

"I drive modified Fieros- anything less would be uncivilized."

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2009 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
I took those pics of Curley's car in front of my shop in Barrington, IL

At the time, I tried to park Curleys car in exactly the same pose both times.

Archie
Nohbdy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2009 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NohbdySend a Private Message to NohbdyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

I took those pics of Curley's car in front of my shop in Barrington, IL

At the time, I tried to park Curleys car in exactly the same pose both times.

Archie

not to criticize u, but for the future, u could try making a tripod for this purpose, and putting the camera X ft away and mb 7 ft from the tip of the bumper, so its a controlled picture. the chopped pic makes it look a lot better, but i also like the angle of that better. this is just a suggestion, if u dont hav the time, its nothing big. just might give a little more objective view of before and after pics for a choptop is all.
Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2009 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroDirect Link to This Post
Not before / after since its not the same car,...you get the idea.

------------------

Archie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2009 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nohbdy:

not to criticize u, but for the future, u could try making a tripod for this purpose, and putting the camera X ft away and mb 7 ft from the tip of the bumper, so its a controlled picture. the chopped pic makes it look a lot better, but i also like the angle of that better. this is just a suggestion, if u dont hav the time, its nothing big. just might give a little more objective view of before and after pics for a choptop is all.

Yeah, I know.

The time between the 2 pics was about 6 or 7 weeks. Didn't know I was going to be taking the 2nd pic. at the time I took the 1st one.

I take a lot of pics of everything we do. You know how digital camera are (ie: No film to buy) I took about 15 pics on both of the photo days. It was some time later when looking thru pics that I realized that I had some before & after pics that were almost identical poses.

Archie
DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2009 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Falcon Fiero:

You always took great pictures of the GBCT.....nice comparison shots. I might have a few to share in the future.

------------------

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2009 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by project34:

Does anyone have "Before-and-After" pictures that clearly highlight the outside profile difference between a Fiero with a standard roof, versus a Fiero with a V-8 Archie chopped top?

Here's my before and after:

Actually the "after" isn't current, but I need to drive up to my buddy's house to take a new matching "after" picture.
wikid_one

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2009 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wikid_oneSend a Private Message to wikid_oneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

[pic1]
[pic2]

Actually the "after" isn't current, but I need to drive up to my buddy's house to take a new matching "after" picture.

Wow, your car is so awesome it makes trees sprout new leaves.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2009 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

yours was a coupe?

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2009 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

yours was a coupe?

Yes. I converted it to a fastback before taking it to Archie's. The only real difference is the fiberglass parts and they all come off during the chop anyway.

Due to the body panel conversion it was a bit of an ugly duck but here is a more direct before and after set

PFF
System Bot
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2009 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:
You might find a few (not in the same location) in the "What's Up at Archie's" thread. I would start in the beginning (it's a whole lotta pages).

You're right, madcurl; that is a l-o-n-g thread. I finally checked it out for pics all the way through what's been posted as of right now, but I found only set of unambiguous "before-and-after" pictures, both on page 8 of that thread, of a chopped GT fastback (which I earlier forgot to mention was my focus here). However, the "after" picture was photoshopped, and I'm looking for pictures clearly showing the real-world, before-versus-after difference.

Nonetheless, thanks for the suggestion to check out that thread because it shows all sorts of interesting cars, including Archie's V-8 Solstice, which must make for great grins when one stands on it.

Due to the body panel conversion it was a bit of an ugly duck but here is a more direct before and after set

Thanks for posting those pics, jscott1.

Yes, being "under construction," your multi-colored Fiero necessarily was looking a bit rough, but I agree with you: Your pics are among the "more direct before and after" pics I've seen, and addressing the question I'd asked at the outset of this thread, they help to highlight the outside profile difference between a Fiero with a standard roof, versus a Fiero with a V-8 Archie chopped top.

From your pics, I also noticed something I hadn't before in the other pics on this thread: It appears that the side windows on a V-8 Archie chop slant inwards noticeably more than do a stocker's. If the roof's width is much the same after a V-8 Archie chop as it is before with an unchopped stocker, that would make perfect sense. I really like that more-inward-slanting side glass look, but is the roof's "post-chop" width in fact essentially unchanged from a stocker's, or is the more swoopy-looking, greater inward slant of the side windows which I'm seeing just an optical illusion?
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2009 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by project34:

It appears that the side windows on a V-8 Archie chop slant inwards noticeably more than do a stocker's.

but is the roof's "post-chop" width in fact essentially unchanged from a stocker's, or is the more swoopy-looking, greater inward slant of the side windows which I'm seeing just an optical illusion?

Yes the side windows DO slant inwards more. Yes the roof "post-chop" is the same width as stock. Simple trigonometry confirms that if the height is less and the top is the same that the angle that the sides make has to increase. No it's not an optical illusion.

There is another person who likes to widen the roof, to make the side windows fit easier, but its just another solution to the same problem.
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2009 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Yes the roof "post-chop" is the same width as stock.

Thank you for verifying that a Fiero's roof width after a V-8 Archie chop is essentially the same as a stocker Fiero's roof width before a V-8 Archie chop.

The noticeably greater tumblehome which that necessarily creates is quite appealing IMO, and is illustrated nicely in your "before-versus-after" photos above. They're much appreciated because they highlight the enhanced tumblehome one wouldn't necessarily see in straight-on, "before-versus-after," side-profile photos.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2009 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Archie didn't chop this one, but I just posted about this car Here.

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2009 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post

kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2009 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Archie didn't chop this one, but I just posted about this car Here.

That car is so gorgeous, is sprouts new buildings

Cordially,
Kevin
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2009 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kevin:

That car is so gorgeous, it sprouts new buildings

It's amazing what a slightly different perspective shows.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2009 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

As Revin's picture snows, even though the roof is stock width it's more "in your face" than stock. It took me a lot of practice to not bump my head when I look to the left when changing lanes.

This is one reason why some would prefer to widen the roof when chopping to give you a bit more head room and not have the windows angle in as much, but I think the way Archie does it is a bit more dramatic looking.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2009 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

jscott1

21676 posts
Member since Dec 2001

Originally posted by Patrick:

When I first saw this car I thought it was just a chop away from being a super car and then it got chopped. It is unbelievably beautiful now.
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2009 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post
Could someone do me a big favor and photoshop this set of cars to make them both bright red, but with silver-colored rocker panels (like those of a stock `86 Fiero GT)?

Akin to a little kid anticipating an excellent present, I'd really like to see what my bright red `86 Fiero GT (of which I've unfortunately no digital pictures) might look like --- chopped versus unchopped --- although its lower left rear quarter panel is stock, having no scoop whatsoever (unlike the one pictured below), and the wheels on my car will be a bit different from those shown immediately below:

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

PFF
System Bot
SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

I didnt know Revin had a 4x4 Fiero GT..??

------------------
Steve
Aka. "SmoothGT"
1987 GT 4.9L-V8
SmoothGT-II

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay