Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Taking a mold of the whole front end question...

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Taking a mold of the whole front end question... by Fiero Finale
Started on: 04-25-2009 05:50 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: fierosound on 09-21-2010 05:45 PM
Fiero Finale

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2009 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero FinaleSend a Private Message to Fiero FinaleDirect Link to This Post
I figured I would ask here as Fiero people are experts at fiberglassing lol Friend and I have some custom worked planned for his car (not a Fiero...Camaro). But he doesn't want to ruin his body panels as he wants to sell them as they are original. Is it possible to cover the whole front end with plastic, fill in/add whatever fiberglass above the plastic like we want. Then take a mold to make a one piece front end and then remove the plastic and still have the stock parts? Or is this dreaming and basically going to have to pick one or the other...? Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rolling Thunder

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2009 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post
This depends on how accurate you want it to be. If you lay the fiberglass over the front end, it will be bigger than the front end. You may have to make a shell and then turn it over and use it as a mold.

btw, you probably want a few layers of fiberglass.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2009 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Finale:

I figured I would ask here as Fiero people are experts at fiberglassing lol Friend and I have some custom worked planned for his car (not a Fiero...Camaro). But he doesn't want to ruin his body panels as he wants to sell them as they are original. Is it possible to cover the whole front end with plastic, fill in/add whatever fiberglass above the plastic like we want. Then take a mold to make a one piece front end and then remove the plastic and still have the stock parts? Or is this dreaming and basically going to have to pick one or the other...? Thanks

Why do all that when you can just buy a stock front bumper in fiberglass?
here: www.fierofiberglass.com
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2009 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
I never realized www.fierofiberglass.com sold camaro parts....
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2009 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

I never realized www.fierofiberglass.com sold camaro parts....

Neither did I.
Care to point them out for me?
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2009 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Finale:
Friend and I have some custom worked planned for his car (not a Fiero...Camaro). But he doesn't want to ruin his body panels as he wants to sell them as they are original.

Originally posted by randye:
Why do all that when you can just buy a stock front bumper in fiberglass?
here: www.fierofiberglass.com

Nebiros88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2009 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nebiros88Click Here to visit Nebiros88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Nebiros88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

Neither did I.
Care to point them out for me?

Fiero Finale isn't looking for fiero parts... He is looking for advice of taking a mould of the front of a Camaro.

As for the moulding, as Rolling Thunder mentioned... it depends on how accurate you want it and the condition you want the original parts in when you are done.

If I am picturing this, your friend wants a 1 piece flip front on his camaro? Correct?
If so, the best way to do this would be to use modeling clay to fill in the front end body seams, smooth to the surfaces, prep the surface with multiple applications of a good quality car wax, and then spray on a coat of pva mould release. Spray on a gel coat, then lay on multiple layers of fiberglass. Add structural reinforcements - be it foam, rope, wood in between the final layers. Allow full curing. And release. The paint on the factory parts may be clouded or discolored, but this would yield the best quality of finished product. Then simply wax, pva, gel coat, skim mat, and fiberglass into the mould and pull your final product.
Fiero Finale

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2009 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero FinaleSend a Private Message to Fiero FinaleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nebiros88:

Fiero Finale isn't looking for fiero parts... He is looking for advice of taking a mould of the front of a Camaro.

As for the moulding, as Rolling Thunder mentioned... it depends on how accurate you want it and the condition you want the original parts in when you are done.

If I am picturing this, your friend wants a 1 piece flip front on his camaro? Correct?
If so, the best way to do this would be to use modeling clay to fill in the front end body seams, smooth to the surfaces, prep the surface with multiple applications of a good quality car wax, and then spray on a coat of pva mould release. Spray on a gel coat, then lay on multiple layers of fiberglass. Add structural reinforcements - be it foam, rope, wood in between the final layers. Allow full curing. And release. The paint on the factory parts may be clouded or discolored, but this would yield the best quality of finished product. Then simply wax, pva, gel coat, skim mat, and fiberglass into the mould and pull your final product.

Thanks Nebiros88. You have a PM.

So they only thing we can risk damaging is the paint???

Can you give me names of actual products you recommend as far as pva/gel coat/skim mat?

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2009 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
I'd just like to add a couple comments, in addition to what Nebiros88 said.

First of all, you'll need to make a multiple-piece mold. Since the mold will go down the sides of the car, and probably under the front a bit, you'll need to be able to remove it in pieces or you'll wreck it trying to remove it.

Second of all, if you polish/wax the car properly, and apply the PVA film properly, there should be no damage to the paint. This is assuming the paint is in decent condition, i.e. isn't flaking or cracking.

I'd also like to recommend that before embarking on the front end project, you should practice on a junk body panel. Make your mistakes on the junk panel, not your buddy's car.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2009 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

OOPS.
My Bad...
SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTDirect Link to This Post
Soooo, How did this ever turn out..??

------------------
Steve
Aka. "SmoothGT"
1987 GT 4.9L-V8
SmoothGT-II

PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
What year Camaro are you talking about? http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/site.htm

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-21-2010).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock