Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Time for new wiper blades, quick questions....

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Time for new wiper blades, quick questions.... by Xerces_Blackthorne
Started on: 04-19-2009 11:26 PM
Replies: 31
Last post by: Australian on 09-15-2010 04:38 AM
Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2009 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
Well, the time has come for new wiper blades almost. Currently using Michelin 18" blades, but I;ve been looking for something else. Anyone ever use the Rain X Latitude blades on their Fiero? How good are they? I'm leaning towards trying them and want to know what everyone elses experience is with them...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
.......................... There wiper blades..............................they all do the same thing...................dont ask stupid questions you wont get stupid answers.
AADrcw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AADrcwSend a Private Message to AADrcwDirect Link to This Post
Xerces_Blackthorne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
So hows this supposed to answer my specific question? I asked if anyone has tried them on a Fiero and how well do they work on a Fiero...

And no, not all wiper blades are the same Rick...try using the cheap Pylon brand from wal mart then switch over to something like Bosch or Michelin blades. There is a major difference...
Genopsyde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post
i have the bosche icons on my tahoe, they seem to work decently
DougC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DougCSend a Private Message to DougCDirect Link to This Post
I've been using RainX blades on my subaru and love them, now I have them on my fiero too, and... well I can say meh... they skip across my windshield a lot and seems to have defects along the blade that leave streaks.

I've been tempted to try the new RainX curved blades, and maybe jump up from 18/18 to like 20/18 for more surface area on my driver side.

And you're right, not all wipers are created equal, especially in washington state!
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
I have heard nothing but positive reviews on the new Rain-X Latitude blades, although not specifically on the Fiero. I'm in need of new blades and might drop the money for them to see if they're as good as their hyped to be.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
I've been using Bosch blades for years and they work pretty good and are way better than the cheaper brands. The Bosch are quiet during the swipes and the is rubber very soft to the touch. I've found that they only last maybe 1 1/2 years. Be sure to replace them prior to scratching the windsheild.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 03:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Does anybody have the new style, of blades that don't have a metal support. It's late, I can't explain it well: The style where just the blade follows the glass, with a built in wind deflector.

What's the verdict when applied to Fieros. Which brand?
deceler8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Direct Link to This Post
RainX Latitude blades...best I've ever used.

------------------

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

Does anybody have the new style, of blades that don't have a metal support. It's late, I can't explain it well: The style where just the blade follows the glass, with a built in wind deflector.

Those are the blades we're talking about - Rain-X Latitude.

PFF
System Bot
ARFiero

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARFieroSend a Private Message to ARFieroDirect Link to This Post
I use the Bosch Icon blades. They don't have the metal frames and they have a small wing on them so the air forces them down onto the windshield. They don't skip, streak or shriek when used even at 75 mph.

Shelby

[This message has been edited by ARFiero (edited 04-20-2009).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ARFiero:

I use the Bosch Icon blades. They don't have the metal frames and they have a small wing on them so the air forces them down onto the windshield. They don't skip, streak or shriek when used even at 75 mph.

Shelby

yea, that's the one I meant.

How do they compare to Rain-X?
wikid_one

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wikid_oneSend a Private Message to wikid_oneDirect Link to This Post
I have the Rain-X ones on my Blazer, and they are easily the longest lasting blades I've ever used.
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post
I have used RainX on all of my cars since they were introduced. Since my car sits outside at the airport most of the time they bake pretty quickly and the RainX blades still last about 18 months. I like Bosch blades as well but the RainX seem to doa little better in cold weather.

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 04-20-2009).]

DougC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DougCSend a Private Message to DougCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ARFiero:

Shelby

My low price point rainx blades (their standard straights) have been skipping like crazy since I got them actually (unless it's really wet) been rather annoying, was thinking it was just the tension on the arm. Maybe I should just fess up and "Upgraydd"
Xerces_Blackthorne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DougC:

My low price point rainx blades (their standard straights) have been skipping like crazy since I got them actually (unless it's really wet) been rather annoying, was thinking it was just the tension on the arm. Maybe I should just fess up and "Upgraydd"

I had the standard rain x blades on the Fiero when I first bought it and had the same issues. They only lasted for about 5 months and started streaking really bad. Switched to the $6 a piece at wal mart Michelin blades, and so far they have lasted about 8 months or so before starting to streak. I'm anal about my wiper blades, so I change them regularly when they first start to streak. Hence the reason I've been looking at the Latitude blades.

I do agree though, the Bosch Icon ones are excellent. Had them on my Eclipse and they worked wonders. Quiet as all hell
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
I had the Rain-X Latitudes and have since switched to the Bosch Icons.

The Bosch Icons are better than the Rain-X Latitudes in my opinion. All my vehicles now have Bosch Icons.

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

ZZ4 Powered !!

Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
I used RainX's, switched back over to Trico Innovision blades:

http://www.tricoproducts.co...=2838&location_id=65

Similar idea but lower profile, they don't have the molded pieces for appearance. Its just the spring-steel stuff and the blade.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Let's start from the beginning. First off a Fiero uses a low profile 18" windshield wiper blade and arm. Most replacements sit too high over the windshield and look terrible. I would not use gimmick blades as they destroy the stock Fiero appearance. Quite frankly I don't even know where to get the low profile wiper blades so I just replace the rubber wipers and reuse the old blade frame.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Vendetta

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VendettaSend a Private Message to VendettaDirect Link to This Post
i love my rainx latitude blades.

Austin
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
i fogot to mention i have rainx on my fiero though i havent drivin it in the rain yet so i have no idea how they do.
hklvette

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hklvetteSend a Private Message to hklvetteDirect Link to This Post
I use Trico Teflon blades on all of my vehicles. They are the longest lasting blades i've ever seen, and are really good to boot.
Fiero Owner

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero OwnerSend a Private Message to Fiero OwnerDirect Link to This Post
I have the Rain-X Latitude wiper blades on my Fiero, they seemed to work good for the one time I drove my Fiero in the rain last year.
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
Bosche Icons. I won't use anything else, I buy 'em for my parents too. Best out there as far as I'm concerned. Kind of spendy, but worth ever penny.
chrishahn87

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by infinitewill:

I have used RainX on all of my cars since they were introduced. Since my car sits outside at the airport most of the time they bake pretty quickly and the RainX blades still last about 18 months. I like Bosch blades as well but the RainX seem to doa little better in cold weather.

I was wondering about the durability of the RainX Latitude blades, and how long they last.

I am considering buying them for my truck (Fiero doesnt see much rain) but I dont want to spend that much money if they are gonna have to be replaced in 6 months or less! Can anyone else verify how long the Rain X Latitudes last?
-Chris
squisher86SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2009 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for squisher86SESend a Private Message to squisher86SEDirect Link to This Post
(Trico?) Neoforms -- cheaper version of the Valeo "frameless" wipers. Work great, look nice, cheaper than the Rain-X/Bosch/Valeo versions of the same.
hurricanefloyd41

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2009 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hurricanefloyd41Send a Private Message to hurricanefloyd41Direct Link to This Post
I use the Trico NeoForms on my Fiero and they work great. I also hear nothing but positive things about the Bosch Icons from friends.
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2009 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chrishahn87:
I was wondering about the durability of the RainX Latitude blades, and how long they last.

I am considering buying them for my truck (Fiero doesnt see much rain) but I dont want to spend that much money if they are gonna have to be replaced in 6 months or less! Can anyone else verify how long the Rain X Latitudes last?
-Chris

The Rain-X latitudes lasted about 5 months on our van (mostly winter/spring driving) I replaced them with the Bosch Icons in early summer and the Icons are still on the van and working great for almost 11 months. (summer, fall, winter, and right now spring driving.)

chrishahn87

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2009 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:

The Rain-X latitudes lasted about 5 months on our van (mostly winter/spring driving) I replaced them with the Bosch Icons in early summer and the Icons are still on the van and working great for almost 11 months. (summer, fall, winter, and right now spring driving.)

Thank you very much!
Sorry to hijack, but this is the information that we should be looking for!

If anyone else has experience with different wiper blades, please share! This is an excellent way to find out exactly what you are getting when you spend $30+ on two wiper blades!!!
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2009 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
CostCo sells teflon coated wiper blades. I've had them on a previous car (Mazda 626) and they worked great extremely quiet. (Even on a dry windshield) I've installed the same brand on the MINI Cooper S, and they're really loud and chatter on dry or wet windshields. Maybe it has something to do with the near vertical MINI Cooper S windshield.

I guess it's hit-or-miss with windshield wipers.

PFF
System Bot
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2010 04:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Yes a really lame topic I finally found threads and instructions on ogre on to get them off.
I also know most people think replacing the 18" blades alone is best and i do agree is best.
But i would like to see your modern arms for those that have converted their wipers to either after market or other model of car.
I would also like to see single bladed wipers i remember seeing one years ago in the forum.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock