AURORA PARTS BEING USED ON FIEROS by 98Aurora
Started on: 04-19-2009 08:31 PM
Replies: 36
Last post by: jscott1 on 11-22-2010 02:20 PM
98Aurora

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2009 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 98AuroraSend a Private Message to 98AuroraDirect Link to This Post
Ok, So I own a 1998 Oldsmobile Aurora, and I love it, its my Baby, I am part of a club for Aurora owners, I was currently given a Free Fiero, and Was sent here.

I am learning that a lot of you are using Aurora parts in your Fieros, and even Putting The Aurora 4.0 V8 in your Fieros.

I am curious to know who is doing what With Aurora parts and their Fieros.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2009 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
96 Aurora mirrors:

98Aurora

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2009 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 98AuroraSend a Private Message to 98AuroraDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

96 Aurora mirrors:

not bad, too bad they arnt 98, or newer Aurora mirrors, the right one would automatically tilt down when you put the car in reverse, I find that helping when I back my Aurora into the garage, it has a lot of blinds spots like a Fiero.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2009 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 98Aurora:

not bad, too bad they arnt 98, or newer Aurora mirrors, the right one would automatically tilt down when you put the car in reverse,

If I were a bit smarter I could add that feature. These mirrors have the position sensors built-in such that you can have a memory. All I would need would be a voltage comparator circuit and have the right side tilt down to some pre-defined position and then have it tilt back to the stored position when I'm done backing up.
98Aurora

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2009 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 98AuroraSend a Private Message to 98AuroraDirect Link to This Post

If I were a bit smarter I could add that feature. These mirrors have the position sensors built-in such that you can have a memory. All I would need would be a voltage comparator circuit and have the right side tilt down to some pre-defined position and then have it tilt back to the stored position when I'm done backing up.

yup, I love them, the heaters keep them from freezing in the winter, and I Have huge blindsopts on the aurora, so I love that feature, wish My fiero did that, but I'm going the stock root, and will not be putting Aurora mirrors on it. lol
Love that color blue on your car, would you mind posting a pic of the Whole car so I can see what it looks like?
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2009 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Love that color blue on your car, would you mind posting a pic of the Whole car so I can see what it looks like?

Thanks! No problem posting the car

Genopsyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2009 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post
what's up, I used to have a 98 aurora myself. my mother owns it now. one day in the future I will probably own it again. are you an acna member too? I haven't posted there in a year or so, but am sure my account is still active.
98Aurora

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2009 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 98AuroraSend a Private Message to 98AuroraDirect Link to This Post

Thanks! No problem posting the car

Beautoiful CAR!!
98Aurora

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2009 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 98AuroraSend a Private Message to 98AuroraDirect Link to This Post

98Aurora

116 posts
Member since Apr 2009

Originally posted by Genopsyde:

what's up, I used to have a 98 aurora myself. my mother owns it now. one day in the future I will probably own it again. are you an acna member too? I haven't posted there in a year or so, but am sure my account is still active.

I have a Black on Tan 1998 Aurora Autobahn edition. Love that Car it has all the options except Chrome wheels, and Cd changer in trunk. I have the Bose system, and even Have the Onstar.

I love it,

I love my Fiero too tho.
98Aurora

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2009 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 98AuroraSend a Private Message to 98AuroraDirect Link to This Post

98Aurora

116 posts
Member since Apr 2009

Originally posted by Genopsyde:

and yes, I am also a Member over at ACNA.
98Aurora

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2009 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 98AuroraSend a Private Message to 98AuroraDirect Link to This Post

98Aurora

116 posts
Member since Apr 2009
Bump!

So No one else used Aurora stuff for their Fieros, I'vesen threads, I'm just trying to get an idea of who did what.
PFF
System Bot
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post04-19-2009 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post
Do a search for Rickady88, a user here. He has a super clean "Shortstar" 3.5 out of an Intrigue. Those motors also came in Auroras equipped with V6. Chris West of West Coast Fieros recently did an Aurora V8 build.

I always liked the Aurora. What should you be careful about when buying a used Aurora?
Genopsyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2009 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post
i plan on an aurora rear view mirror in both of mine.
Nohbdy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2009 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NohbdySend a Private Message to NohbdyDirect Link to This Post
yeah there was a aurora V8 swap thread under technical recently IIRC. search aurora on the search function maybe ull get something.
98Aurora

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2009 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 98AuroraSend a Private Message to 98AuroraDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by WhiteDevil88:

Do a search for Rickady88, a user here. He has a super clean "Shortstar" 3.5 out of an Intrigue. Those motors also came in Auroras equipped with V6. Chris West of West Coast Fieros recently did an Aurora V8 build.

I always liked the Aurora. What should you be careful about when buying a used Aurora?

Head Gasket Leaks, pulled Headbolts.

other than that not much They are great Cars, and Will run for well over 200,000 miles if taken care of

When I say headgaskets, and bolts i'm referring to the First Generation aurora 1995-99 I dont know much about hte second Gen Aurora 2001-2003
Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2009 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
I've got the leather auto shift knob in my Fiero from and Aurora... Nice know, but it sits a bit high compared to the stock one...kinda get used to it after awhile though
D2inDFW

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for D2inDFWClick Here to visit D2inDFW's HomePageSend a Private Message to D2inDFWDirect Link to This Post
Folks:

Guess this is the ultimate Aurora part in a Fiero: http://picasaweb.google.com...ZqwE&feat=directlink

It is the West Coast Fiero Turbo V-8 Aurora with Hildebrand Injection and an NSX 5-speed transsmission with a racing multiplate clutch and 13" Wilwood Rotors/ Brembo Calipers and much more.

Regards,

David

[This message has been edited by D2inDFW (edited 04-20-2009).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 02:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by WhiteDevil88:

Good engine, sounds great. I did not even run a mufler, just a cat.

98Aurora

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 98AuroraSend a Private Message to 98AuroraDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

Good engine, sounds great. I did not even run a mufler, just a cat.

Wow you are running a Second generation aurora engine!
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
you already know about my mirrors.
98Aurora

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 98AuroraSend a Private Message to 98AuroraDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

you already know about my mirrors.

yes I do! and they are growing one me! At first I didnt like them that much Now I'm loving them.
PFF
System Bot
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
Check the mall here. Brand new shelby aurora engines for $1500.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

yes I do! and they are growing one me! At first I didnt like them that much Now I'm loving them.

haha see. Dont worrey about it a lot of people have been saying that about it.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 04-20-2009).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2009 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Wow you are running a Second generation aurora engine!

Yes I used to, now I run a "bigger" engine

I have plans to sell the V6.

------------------

SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2010 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

Yes I used to, now I run a "bigger" engine

I have plans to sell the V6.

bump from page 210.... Any updates..?? SmoothGT

------------------
Steve
aka. SmoothGT
- NotAFieroAnyLonger
CURRENT BUILD:
" SmoothGT-'w8nc' "
1987 Fiero V8/hybrid
1999 Lexus SC-400

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2010 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Cptsnoopy has his 4.0 build: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000017.html and I am doing one, too. Once everything is up and running I'll probably had more features, such as the BCM.

Bob
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-21-2010 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SMTHGT:
bump from page 210.... Any updates..?? SmoothGT

You quoted Rick's nearly 2 year old comment about him changing out for a bigger engine. Here's his LS4 swap thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000114.html
SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2010 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

You quoted Rick's nearly 2 year old comment about him changing out for a bigger engine. Here's his LS4 swap thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000114.html

Well, you know how I am... I had looked for the thread w/ no luck... thanks.
Hockaday

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2010 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
Just wondering why use the 4.0 when you could go with a 4.6? If I remember the hp and tq numbers were all lower on the 4.0, is there a better aftermarket? stronger motor? or just personal preference? Or does it spin up to like 10k rpm stock lol?
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2010 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hockaday:

Just wondering why use the 4.0 when you could go with a 4.6? If I remember the hp and tq numbers were all lower on the 4.0, is there a better aftermarket? stronger motor? or just personal preference? Or does it spin up to like 10k rpm stock lol?

Why not just move up to the 4.9 or a N*?

Because people do different things for different reasons. Maybe it's availability. Myabe because they just happen to like that engine. Maybe to be different. Maybe they don't care how fast it will go in a 1/4. /shrug, I looked at the 4.0 and 4.6 as options for swaps. I'd go 4.9 or 3800 NA because I'm not looking to race just for a bit more power and those 2 motors are really close to each other in HP and Torque.

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2010 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

I would not be so quick to put down the 4.0 in thoes things. There a shelby built motor ans they even haul a$$ in the aurora. god knows what they would do in a fiero.

PFF
System Bot
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2010 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post

Because I had one...(already did 3800SC...long story).

Bob
cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2010 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post

Price and availability was my reason. I thought I bought a nice low miles 4.0 (standard L47) from a guy and that was when I started my swap. After getting the engine running it became apparent that it was a warranty removal from a 95 Aurora as it had a bad cylinder that burned a ton of oil. So I figured that would be a great time to upgrade to a nice 4.6 but when looking around for something I could afford I was pointed in the direction of a guy who was selling off his stock of new "in the crate" 4.0L Aurora engines for $1500. When I found out these were the engines that had been massaged for the 1998-1999 Shelby Series One Roadster I decided that I probably would be happy. The stock L47 is rated at 260 torque and 250 horsepower. This engine is rated at 290 torque and 320 horsepower. The only real difference that I know of is that they cleaned the heads up a tad and installed vin-9 cams from the L37 4.6 N*. I suspect they indexed the cams a bit as this one was setup to run in the Series One with a supercharger. While I doubt that I will win any races against a 4.6N* powered Fiero, I think it will be enough power/fun for me.

I feel pretty good about getting a $6K+ engine with zero miles for $1.5K.

Charlie

Hockaday

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2010 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
wasn't putting down the 4.0 was a real question, =) sometimes there are different reasons besides availability. Wasn't sure about the real differences between the two engines performance wise. thanks for the answer's guys.

Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2010 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
I dont think all aurora engines were shelby made.
Wasn't some type of aurora used in IRL too back then? Those probably spin pretty fast
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2010 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scottzilla79:

I dont think all aurora engines were shelby made.
Wasn't some type of aurora used in IRL too back then? Those probably spin pretty fast

None of the Aurora were Shelby made. Shelby modified (or had them built) for his own use. The Indy Auroras shared the name, that's about it.

Hockaday: No offence taken.. All good man..

And, if there is something wrong with mine, all the work is done to drop in a 4.6L.

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 11-21-2010).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

And, if there is something wrong with mine, all the work is done to drop in a 4.6L.

Bob

Hey Bob, how's it going? I just saw Shelby the other day on TV trying to help an original Cobra be auctioned... It didn't sell because the reserve of $1.3 Million was not met, (missed it by $50,000) Odd that the roundoff error on the Cobra is worth 5 times as much as our cars.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock